Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 23, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #676 of 1,483
Just a quick question for all those Studio owners out there:

How do you find the battery meter?  Does it tend to be fairly accurate?  Do you charge frequently, or do you wait for the meter to drop down to nearly zilch?

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:48 PM Post #678 of 1,483
Nov 23, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #679 of 1,483
UPDATE - FIXED!

(Now I need to sheepishly go back to Mr. Hisound and be like: 'whoops, looks like I don't need to send for repair after all.'  That fellow must be getting really tired of me
redface.gif
)

So, there's very little I wont do to a bricked device that I love.  In this case especially as I purchased this player used from a fellow headfier and, therefore, had no real claim to a warranty.

If you haven't seen my previous posts, I'll quickly summarize: Woke up, player wouldn't work.  Worked last night.  Nothing changed.  Tried every trick in the book.  Hit that reset button about 5200 times over the course of the day (taking account for exaggeration.)

So, I thought to myself: what if there's just something cooky going on in there?  I commenced my investigation:

The first thing I noticed was a missing screw from the circuit board:

I then found it wedged under a piece of the sticky foam that's on top of almost everything in there.  It was sitting right on top of some little transistor-ma-gig...or some such thing.

So I grabbed the little bugger and put it back in place.

While I was at it, I figured: 'let's readjust that silicon bit over the reset button - I've nearly worn through the damn thing...actually it was in decent enough shape, but had some ink & graphite all over it.  Cleaned and replaced:

I then fiddled with it a bit more.  And bingo.  A working machine.

Sometimes it's the obvious things that cause the problems...not usually...but I lucked out.

And now...I'm off to do some listening.

Finally.......
L3000.gif

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:38 AM Post #681 of 1,483
Nov 24, 2013 at 9:41 AM Post #683 of 1,483
  Glad you are back with your unit :) so whats the main changes that c5 did with S3AE ?

The most massive change: Noise floor is invisible to me now...seriously, invisible.  Hiss be gone!

It's basically acting like a high-cut filter, but there has been no cutoff to the highs where I want them - cymbals, chimes, vocal clicks (mouthy noise...whatever you call it), all highs sound just as clear and airy as before; the only difference has been the underlying 'crunchy' hiss that became so prominent when the Heir 4.Ais became my go-to IEM.  

In addition to that, the C5 was basically added in to correct for the sound profile of the Heir 4.Ai...that sounds harsh, but I really did need a little more substance in the low end.

Depending on the track (and my listening surroundings) I now use the bass extender.  I'm saying 'extender' and not 'boost', as it really doesn't do much to the mid-bass, only that nice, rumbly sub-bass that the Heirs were definitely shy on.  The C5 'extender' is as strong as everyone says pushing the sub 150Hz up a good amount, but it really doesn't touch anything around it over, say 250Hz.  Separation is still there, and the mid-bass maintains a lot of detail and clarity - quick attack, very polished.

Those 2 Low-end drivers on the Heir 4.Ai finally have to get off their asses and do something.  I'll admit I'm a bit of a bass-head at times but, as mentioned, it tends to depend on the genre I'm listening to more than anything.  Anyhow, it's sometimes nice to flick a switch and have your head filled with dance club thunder 
basshead.gif

Conclusion:  If you have this player with some very sensitive IEMs a nice, quiet amp might be just the thing you need to get that signal to noise ratio more in your favour.

If you haven't closed it up yet, use a touch of nail polish on the screw to keep it from coming loose again. Glad you found it, It was going to be my next recommendation if it didn't sort itself. It's an infrequent but known issue. I was going to tell you to give it a good rap first. Usually enough to temporarily fix it by dislodging the screw. http://www.head-fi.org/t/634747/hisoundaudio-studio-v-3rd-anniversary-edition-review/420#post_9837064 

Much obliged goodvibes! That's twice you've come to my aid - hope I can repay the favour sometime!

Ah ha, twice in one thread.  I figured opening it up couldn't hurt too much - any obvious breaks in solder, or whatever else I could inspect by sight is all I was interested in finding out.  I didn't really expect it would be as simple as a a screw out of place.  I didn't put anything on the screw, but they're all good and tight now - actually the buttons on the front became a bit more stiff after tightening...stiff in a good way.

Should I have a lazy day, maybe I'll open it back up and seal up the screws once and for all, but I imagine it should hold for a good long time yet. 

Good to hear its working....how'd the screw come loose I wonder?

Thanks again for your help on this bearFNF!

Not sure how it happened, but I did hear something rattle once before - I figured I was just hearing the metal buttons inside their bored holes.  Anyhow, this player had gone through shipping on at least two occasions - if the screw wasn't perfectly in there to begin with that would probably have done it.

Best wishes, one and all!

Nov 24, 2013 at 10:55 AM Post #685 of 1,483
  Good to hear its working....how'd the screw come loose I wonder?

The most massive change: Noise floor is invisible to me now...seriously, invisible.  Hiss be gone!

It's basically acting like a high-cut filter, but there has been no cutoff to the highs where I want them - cymbals, chimes, vocal clicks (mouthy noise...whatever you call it), all highs sound just as clear and airy as before; the only difference has been the underlying 'crunchy' hiss that became so prominent when the Heir 4.Ais became my go-to IEM.  

In addition to that, the C5 was basically added in to correct for the sound profile of the Heir 4.Ai...that sounds harsh, but I really did need a little more substance in the low end.

Depending on the track (and my listening surroundings) I now use the bass extender.  I'm saying 'extender' and not 'boost', as it really doesn't do much to the mid-bass, only that nice, rumbly sub-bass that the Heirs were definitely shy on.  The C5 'extender' is as strong as everyone says pushing the sub 150Hz up a good amount, but it really doesn't touch anything around it over, say 250Hz.  Separation is still there, and the mid-bass maintains a lot of detail and clarity - quick attack, very polished.

Those 2 Low-end drivers on the Heir 4.Ai finally have to get off their asses and do something.  I'll admit I'm a bit of a bass-head at times but, as mentioned, it tends to depend on the genre I'm listening to more than anything.  Anyhow, it's sometimes nice to flick a switch and have your head filled with dance club thunder 
basshead.gif

Conclusion:  If you have this player with some very sensitive IEMs a nice, quiet amp might be just the thing you need to get that signal to noise ratio more in your favour.

Much obliged goodvibes! That's twice you've come to my aid - hope I can repay the favour sometime!

Ah ha, twice in one thread.  I figured opening it up couldn't hurt too much - any obvious breaks in solder, or whatever else I could inspect by sight is all I was interested in finding out.  I didn't really expect it would be as simple as a a screw out of place.  I didn't put anything on the screw, but they're all good and tight now - actually the buttons on the front became a bit more stiff after tightening...stiff in a good way.

Should I have a lazy day, maybe I'll open it back up and seal up the screws once and for all, but I imagine it should hold for a good long time yet. 

Thanks again for your help on this bearFNF!

Not sure how it happened, but I did hear something rattle once before - I figured I was just hearing the metal buttons inside their bored holes.  Anyhow, this player had gone through shipping on at least two occasions - if the screw wasn't perfectly in there to begin with that would probably have done it.

Best wishes, one and all!

They can be snug but the combo of climate changes and vibration can loosen the short screws. I think they missed the boat a bit by not using loctite or paint to secure them. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 11:34 AM Post #686 of 1,483
  The amp thing makes sense as long as it's input isn't overloaded by the Studio's output. The noise floor is lowered by the increased volume level on the studio. You're' basically turning the level back down with the outboard amp along with the noise floor by a corresponding amount.

Yes indeed.

This amp has no trouble at all handling what the Studio throws at it as a source.  That being said, I don't keep the Studio at 31, I keep it at the 25 mark - found this worked best.  When I first paired them I went through a variety of tests with the Studio at different levels, and with the high/low gain switch on the C5 flipped back and forth.

Low gain+bass is quite a bit different sounding than high gain+bass on this unit.  At high gain+bass, the sub bass looses any sense of tightness and tends to bleed out into the low-mids a bit.

I went with the C5 because it's fairly neutral, notoriously quiet, and I didn't really want it to do the amping - I'm basically letting the Studio amp the sound, and yes the high-grade potentiometer on the C5 really drops everything in a very flat way.  I'm quite impressed.  They went to a digital potentiometer to help keep the channels balanced at a lower level.

Perfecto!

With all that said, I will probably sample other portable amps over the next few months.  I'm hoping to jump on the review wagon sometime soon as writing about nice audio while listening to nice audio is very, very nice indeed.

Thanks again goodvibes!

p.s. - I tried the JDS Labs C5 with that Little Dot DP_I when I thought all hope was lost with the Studio.  It was only then when I realized how nicely extended the highs are on this player.  My goodness, everything else I have sounds muffled in comparison.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #688 of 1,483
  New videos up guys. Hope you all like it.

Hi Arly.  Thanks!  Good video.  Agree with the sound vs UI (good/bad) scenario.

Couple of things.  the second port/socket isn't a line-out .... it's actually a line-in.  If you have a weak DAP (or another source), you can actually use the Studio V3 as an amplifier.  I tried it.  It works - but IMO it's an extra that I'd never use.  Plus I din't think sonically the line-in was that good.  A bit of an echo when I tried it.

Also - I noticed your player was really responsive in the videos.  No lag.  Quick boot.  Did you have a micro SD card installed, and how many files onboard?

Cheers

Paul

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #689 of 1,483

Hi Arly.  Thanks!  Good video.  Agree with the sound vs UI (good/bad) scenario.

Couple of things.  the second port/socket isn't a line-out .... it's actually a line-in.  If you have a weak DAP (or another source), you can actually use the Studio V3 as an amplifier.  I tried it.  It works - but IMO it's an extra that I'd never use.  Plus I din't think sonically the line-in was that good.  A bit of an echo when I tried it.

Also - I noticed your player was really responsive in the videos.  No lag.  Quick boot.  Did you have a micro SD card installed, and how many files onboard?

Cheers

Paul

I thought that was a line out thanks for the correction. I once tried amping it and i must have used the headphone out. As for your questions, I had a full 64GB class 10 card installed and the internal storage is completely empty.

Nov 25, 2013 at 1:56 AM Post #690 of 1,483
Thanks Arly

I might have to play around some more with the files on mine.  Maybe going to all FLAC and not having anything on the internal will help.  I'll post back if I figure anything out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back