Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #662 of 1,483
  As you're new to this game I have just one to add - impedance and hiss are not related.  I have the Tzar 90 (90 Ohm) and they hiss out of pretty much anything.  I'm sure they'd be unlistenable with the Studio V, which is known to hiss...

Much obliged!

I guess it's just been my experience that a headphone's impedance level makes a significant difference to the sensitivity at higher frequencies.  That being said I haven't really played with any high-impedance headphones, so that may have broken that correlation for me a long time ago.

How are you enjoying the Tzar 90s anyway?  The 4.Ais are quite nice, but definitely the most sparkling presentation I've come across in an IEM so they're taking some getting used to.  I'm switching out the tips to comply Tsx-500 (once they arrive in the mail).  Hopefully the added isolation will let me bring the levels down and not get fatigued so quickly.

btw, I'm not particularly 'new' to the game - been messing with audio gear for more than a dozen years now...and trolling this site on and off since then.  Made my first online headphone purchasing decision back in 1999/2000 based off this site: Grado SR-125...those were the days 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #663 of 1,483
  Much obliged!

I guess it's just been my experience that a headphone's impedance level makes a significant difference to the sensitivity at higher frequencies.  That being said I haven't really played with any high-impedance headphones, so that may have broken that correlation for me a long time ago.

How are you enjoying the Tzar 90s anyway?  The 4.Ais are quite nice, but definitely the most sparkling presentation I've come across in an IEM so they're taking some getting used to.  I'm switching out the tips to comply Tsx-500 (once they arrive in the mail).  Hopefully the added isolation will let me bring the levels down and not get fatigued so quickly.

btw, I'm not particularly 'new' to the game - been messing with audio gear for more than a dozen years now...and trolling this site on and off since then.  Made my first online headphone purchasing decision back in 1999/2000 based off this site: Grado SR-125...those were the days 
smily_headphones1.gif

Perhaps there is a correlation, but if they're sensitive enough they will still hiss regardless.  Heir don't publish sensitivity but I do listen to the Tzars on a lower volume than any other IEM so they are probably very sensitive...

The Tzars would be perfect for me if they didn't hiss.  I picked them up purely based on science (8x the 11ohm output impedance of the Tera player = 88ohm+ IEM wanted - there aren't many to choose from) and I've used them almost exclusively with the Tera which has high frequency rollof by design.  Mildly V shaped IEM + treble rolloff = slight bass boost which is working out nicely, and while they get close to sibilance on my "worst" recordings it's not an issue.  I've been using them with TS and TSX-400 so comfort is great and isolation as good as I've heard.  They are definitely keepers, the Tera-Tzar combo is what I listen to more than anything else these days
smily_headphones1.gif

Not sure why I thought you were new - sorry about that!  My first pair were also Grados, SR225 woodied and recabled with balanced connectors (which was pretty pointless as I didn't get a balanced amp until this year, after I'd sold them!)  I got them soon after I joined so only 5 years ago.  Seems much longer...

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:02 AM Post #664 of 1,483
801 is much better in every way, except for size,build quality and battery life, but at over twice the price it should be.

I don't think its a fair comparison. Comparing to 601 or 700 would be better.

Nov 23, 2013 at 7:20 AM Post #665 of 1,483
801 is much better in every way, except for size,build quality and battery life, but at over twice the price it should be.

I don't think its a fair comparison. Comparing to 601 or 700 would be better.

IMO,

Not in terms of soundstage width, treble extension, airiness and bass/mid/treble overall neutrality.

But it does have more controlled sound, better layering, better depth, very detailed but smooth presentation with decent power, except it's a lot more colored than Studio V 3rd. So it needs more careful pairing.

Nov 23, 2013 at 10:53 AM Post #666 of 1,483
PANIC - AGAIN!

Alright, so I just received my JDS C5 yesterday - the sound from the Studio V 3rd -> JDS C5 -> Heir 4.Ai = Spectacular.  I was finally really happy with a portable setup.  I'll write up a review of each component over the next little while.

I was loving every minute of my listening last night.  Probably put in about 2 - 2.5 hours of listening in.  Shut it all down, went to sleep, woke up - and my Studio is NOT working, yet again.

Now, this is the second time I've had a period where it doesn't respond to anything - resets, charging, linking to the computer, linking when holding down the up key, nothing is working for me - I've gone through the gamut.  The first time this happened was MY mistake - installing the wrong firmware (Studio Original), and eventually, seemingly of its own accord, it finally responded to the Hold Up + Connect to PC.

Dealing with this player is beginning to feel like I'm in an abusive relationship or something - I'm developing separation anxiety, never knowing if my current listen will be my last.

From the experts here, would you suggest I bite the bullet and send this in for a repair?

Wanted to write a review of this unit, and now I'm just disappointed - considering giving up on this brand entirely.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #668 of 1,483
  Connect to your PC, find it as a drive in 'My Computer' and toss the contents of the system folder. If that works, it's likely something you did.  

It's not recognizing it at all - not as a drive, etc.  Nothing lights up when plugged in.  Completely non-responsive.

There was nothing that happened to it between my last listening session last night and when I turned it on this morning.

It's baffling.  As I said before, this did happen when I put the wrong firmware on it, but I haven't made any more foolish mistakes with the player since then.

Nov 23, 2013 at 11:26 AM Post #669 of 1,483
Did you follow the procedure in the manual for "frozen" player?  page 48

There is also a second set of steps to take in the "Basic Functions" section of the manual that might help. Page 38

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #670 of 1,483
  Did you follow the procedure in the manual for "frozen" player?  page 48

There is also a second set of steps to take in the "Basic Functions" section of the manual that might help. Page 38

I brought it into work with me to fiddle with, but I didn't bring in the manual - I recall reading through that the last time this happened - something like reset, middle button, wait 30 seconds, middle button again?

Anyhow, I'll keep playing around with it and who knows, maybe another miracle will come my way.  I'll contact Jack again regarding a repair should all else fail, but I'm really considering just picking up a used AK100 or something.

I really love this player when it works, but this last issue has put enough doubt into me to consider other options.

Sad face.

Nov 23, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #671 of 1,483
Gignac said:
  I brought it into work with me to fiddle with, but I didn't bring in the manual - I recall reading through that the last time this happened - something like reset, middle button, wait 30 seconds, middle button again?

Anyhow, I'll keep playing around with it and who knows, maybe another miracle will come my way.  I'll contact Jack again regarding a repair should all else fail, but I'm really considering just picking up a used AK100 or something.

I really love this player when it works, but this last issue has put enough doubt into me to consider other options.

Sad face.

Here is the text from the manual.  maybe this will help?
1. If player frozen(no reaction of the key): 1) After pressing reset key, you can't operate the player. The correct processing are as following:
Press and hold the central key for 3 seconds -- release it -- waiting for 1 minute-press and hold the central key for 3 seconds to turn on the player.
2)If above attempt failed, please try the following method:
After pressing the resetting key. Link it to the PC or charger by USB cable -- waiting for the USB icon to appearing on the screen and the red light of the player will be lighting.
--disconnect the cable from the charger or PC. -- press and hold the central key to turn on the player.
3) If frozen by low battery:
charge the player by PC or charger -- wait for the red light of the player turn on charge the player for about 3 hours disconnect the cable press and hold central key for 3 seconds to turn on the player.

2. Frozen caused by SD card
1)There are huge documents need to be processed, the initial time need a bit longer, if you are impatient and to press keys, it will cause the player frozen.
You can firstly turn on the player, then insert the SD card.
2) Be sure the SD card is reliable. If it is broken, it will cause the frozen of the player, then you need to reset the player to solve the problem.

Basic operation section:
reset key
If player is frozen and has no function, please press reset key with a pin. The location of the reset key is between the earphone socket and line in socket.
If still don't work, please try to activate it by PC.  The method is to press and hold both of the central key and up key at the same time and hook the player to the PC by USC cable.  About 2 seconds, it will work.
If still can't work, please contact dealer or contact with us for help (service@hisoundaudio.com).
Please be aware that after pressing the reset button, you should press the central key for 3 seconds, and release it.  After about 15 seconds, you should press the central key again to turn on the player.

Nov 23, 2013 at 1:01 PM Post #672 of 1,483
  Here is the text from the manual.  maybe this will help?

bearFNF,

I appreciate the assistance on this, but alas all methods made no difference at all - even went through them without a Micro SD card installed.

I think the frustration here comes from the mysterious aspect of the problem - working one evening (battery capacity at 80% or so), shut off normally - not plugged in, etc - next morning nothing responds.

I'll have to setup a repair with Jack I suppose, or just set it on the coffee table and start looking for a player that's less heartbreaking 
triportsad.gif

Nov 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM Post #673 of 1,483
So, here's the closest thing to any recognition of this player as a device since this morning:

While plugging it into a USB port does nothing (to the computer, nothing has happened), when plugging it in while holding the up arrow, I will get this from my PC:
"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it..."

Doing the same using my macbook does nothing.

I've contacted Jack for a repair.

Nov 23, 2013 at 4:58 PM Post #674 of 1,483
So, here's the closest thing to any recognition of this player as a device since this morning:

While plugging it into a USB port does nothing (to the computer, nothing has happened), when plugging it in while holding the up arrow, I will get this from my PC:
"One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it..."

Doing the same using my macbook does nothing.

I've contacted Jack for a repair.

Just for S&G, have you tried plugging it into an AC adapter and just leaving it for a few hours? Not the USB on the computer but a wall charger.

Nov 23, 2013 at 5:31 PM Post #675 of 1,483
Just for S&G, have you tried plugging it into an AC adapter and just leaving it for a few hours? Not the USB on the computer but a wall charger.

Hey there,

Yeah, I have it plugged in now, I'm just going to leave it and see if it explodes :)

Honestly though, the last time this happened I ended up going back to it several hours later (not leaving it plugged in), did the up+connect thing and all was well.

There's probably a larger issue here, so I'm still going to wait and see what Mr.Hisound has to say about it, but I might as well keep messing around with it until then.

I regret having sold my RoCoo Player recently though - would have been a decent enough backup.

I have a Little Dot DP_I as a backup...it's practically suitcase size compared to the Studio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back