Hisoundaudio Studio V 3rd Anniversary Edition Review
Nov 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #691 of 1,483
I've always been confused by the line in, I know the Studio was marketed as the box that does everything,
but does anyone use this feature? a HQ line out would be a fantastic upgrade.

I really hope the next HSA player does 24/96

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:47 AM Post #692 of 1,483

New videos up guys. Hope you all like it.

Great vedio DF. Loved it.  Very informative.

Just found out your 3rd's PO looks different from mine (I don't have the recessed circle). 

P.S. you meant gold right? instead of silver 
biggrin.gif

Nov 25, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #693 of 1,483
  Thanks Arly

I might have to play around some more with the files on mine.  Maybe going to all FLAC and not having anything on the internal will help.  I'll post back if I figure anything out.

As for your questions, I had a full 64GB class 10 card installed and the internal storage is completely empty.

Hey there, yes, your player seems to start immediately compared to mine - could you give us some answers on this? :)

Basically I have two questions:

Do you have one file format across the board?  Have you removed all image files, etc?

and

What is your file structure like on that drive? Do you have many nested folders (ex: The Beatles\Discography\Rubber Soul\All\etc...) or is it strictly Artist-Album\Track?

I have a 32 Class 10 in mine now and it's a minimum of 45 seconds to start up.

Thanks!

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:08 AM Post #694 of 1,483
Question to the community:

When you plug your player into a USB wall charger, what do you see on the screen?  Does it start normally, meaning can you use the player while it's charging?

My player stopped working again and is completely non-responsive (again).  Beginning to notice a pattern.

Both times this has happened after plugging it into a wall charger for a couple of hours.  Not sure if there's a relation there.

Nov 25, 2013 at 8:24 AM Post #695 of 1,483
  I've always been confused by the line in, I know the Studio was marketed as the box that does everything,
but does anyone use this feature? a HQ line out would be a fantastic upgrade.

I really hope the next HSA player does 24/96

The amp is actually VG. It's a little warm on balance but better than a <$100 add on. If you have a weak laptop/tablet and want to drive something full size, it can be handy and will improve the sound of an Ipod/fuze from LO etc.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #696 of 1,483
  Question to the community:

When you plug your player into a USB wall charger, what do you see on the screen?  Does it start normally, meaning can you use the player while it's charging?

My player stopped working again and is completely non-responsive (again).  Beginning to notice a pattern.

Both times this has happened after plugging it into a wall charger for a couple of hours.  Not sure if there's a relation there.

Mine does play normally while charging. Red led is on. Do your buttons feel similar to before your fix? It's possible the board is now too close to the front panel and partially pushing a button. Battery placement can also push on the board especially if wires are between. I'd go for snug on the screws, some nail polish to hold them and careful battery placement and wire routing. You can compress PC boards by going too tight on screws. If everything seems OK, Reload the FW and format in My computer during the install to make sure there's no old code hanging around. If I were you, I'd try a do over on all I've done so far.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #697 of 1,483
Hey there, yes, your player seems to start immediately compared to mine - could you give us some answers on this? :)

Basically I have two questions:

Do you have one file format across the board?  Have you removed all image files, etc?

and

What is your file structure like on that drive? Do you have many nested folders (ex: The Beatles\Discography\Rubber Soul\All\etc...) or is it strictly Artist-Album\Track?

I have a 32 Class 10 in mine now and it's a minimum of 45 seconds to start up.

Thanks!

Hi, I'm surprised some of you guys are having long boot time issues. I haven't been on this thread in ages but I don't recall that being one of the issues. To answer your question all my files are in FLAC and all my tags are stripped with the exception of artist , album name and track number. My file order is quite simple, folder with artist name and inside each of his/her CDs get their own separate folder. I don't know, I've never had troubles with UI response or boot up or scan times on my player. The only issue I've encountered with it were the issues I mentioned in my video. The card I use is a 64GB class 10 SanDisk. Has this been an ongoing issue with a lot of other users? I've had that card in my player for ages now and it's full so I've never bothered to add more files because of lack of room. Maybe that's why it's booting up so quick?

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:36 PM Post #698 of 1,483
Using the same 32gig card in my black Studio V and 3rd, the Black takes 15 secs, the 3rd, 90 secs,

I don't mind the wait as the sound is good, but I find the 3rd is easier to accidently turn off, which 
can be a pain, the card is a mix of flac,16bit wav and 24bit wav

Nov 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM Post #699 of 1,483
  Mine does play normally while charging. Red led is on. Do your buttons feel similar to before your fix? It's possible the board is now too close to the front panel and partially pushing a button. Battery placement can also push on the board especially if wires are between. I'd go for snug on the screws, some nail polish to hold them and careful battery placement and wire routing. You can compress PC boards by going too tight on screws. If everything seems OK, Reload the FW and format in My computer during the install to make sure there's no old code hanging around. If I were you, I'd try a do over on all I've done so far.

The buttons did feel a little off, yes - I tried lifting the board out of the unit this morning (when I again discovered it wasn't functioning), but had a hell of a time with it - it seems I would literally have to desolder the micro USB plug or the audio jacks to get the bugger out of there.

I'm not going to do anything that drastic though...not yet...I just wanted to see if there was anything amiss on the other side of the board.

With regard to the battery, it's always been carefully replaced and the wires have not been in contact with anything on the board.  I tried to start it up several times this morning (connecting to computer, etc. as well) while I had it apart, so I'm not thinking compression is the issue.

That being said, if I get it working again I'll see about loosening the player up a bit and locking in the screws with some paint.

BTW - I just bought another DAP.  Just tired of not having a backup when this guy conks out on me.  I'll continue to work on getting this player working though - I like it too much to give up on it.

Nov 25, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #700 of 1,483
  Using the same 32gig card in my black Studio V and 3rd, the Black takes 15 secs, the 3rd, 90 secs,

I don't mind the wait as the sound is good, but I find the 3rd is easier to accidently turn off, which 
can be a pain, the card is a mix of flac,16bit wav and 24bit wav

Mine is a studio 3rd anv. in black and it takes about 45sec or so to start, 64gig sandisk class 10 with 59gig on it.  I also have had the, oops I turned it off thing, that is irritating. I have not changed anything on the card for a very long time either.  I did the whole clean the tags thing, too.  Not sure about the cover art question, though. Will check that tomorrow as mine is still at work.

Nov 25, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #701 of 1,483
Heh, guess what?  It seems the old girl is working again.  I'm starting to refer to her in the female form, as she's very pretty, temperamental, unpredictably cantankerous, and yet wonderful to me...when she's in the mood.

So, this time, after her last bout of stubbornness, I got her naked, and had my way with her.  As I had always suspected, she looks just as nice without her fashionable, and seductive garb:

While I had her exposed, I delicately lifted the protective tape on her battery and gently laid the tip of my multimeter probe on her terminals.  Marvelous, I was pleased to find her need for power was adequately satiated.

With a can of air I blew gently upon her. I turned her over in my hands and carefully inspected every part of her before helping her back into her attire.

I tried once more, not thinking I would get much out of it, to connect her to the computer (up button held), and she was finally recognized!  I've reloaded the firmware (stop taking everything sexually - that one was too obvious to bother with), and I'm just letting her get her energy back before playing with her again.  But it looks like she might be kind to me once more - and believe me, she's worth the effort.

After our evening together, I'm more in love than ever.

Thanks for tuning in!

p.s. - I think I need a girlfriend...nerdy girls: please apply!

Nov 27, 2013 at 2:37 AM Post #703 of 1,483
Can I please get a general consensus on the sound differences between the the 2nd edition Studio V and 3rd ANV from members who have owned both? Besides the obvious less hiss. I'm thinking of upgrading from 2nd edition to 3rd, but I want some opinions on if it's better or 'different'

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:24 AM Post #704 of 1,483
Can I please get a general consensus on the sound differences between the the 2nd edition Studio V and 3rd ANV from members who have owned both? Besides the obvious less hiss. I'm thinking of upgrading from 2nd edition to 3rd, but I want some opinions on if it's better or 'different'

2nd Editions sounds a bit more spacious with lifted upper treble. 3rd got rid of the the unwanted treble peaks, but still extended, adding more depth and layers. Bass and mids both sound great to my ears. For general pairing, I would say 3rd is "better" than 2nd.

Nov 27, 2013 at 6:54 AM Post #705 of 1,483
  2nd Editions sounds a bit more spacious with lifted upper treble. 3rd got rid of the the unwanted treble peaks, but still extended, adding more depth and layers. Bass and mids both sound great to my ears. For general pairing, I would say 3rd is "better" than 2nd.

Thanks Tupac,

Would you say it leans towards the same hisound tonality (neutral/cool) as the 2nd edition and Rocco BA do? That same crisp clear mid range? How about the detailing levels, does it excel much further than the Studio V 2nd?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back