Hisound BA100 IEM Appreciation Thread.
Oct 7, 2013 at 3:51 AM Post #91 of 240
   Quote:

Quote:
  Try and contact Jack via PM (hisound). Tell him I sent you. He may be able to provide you a sample. :). They are quite good for the price point.

I reckon if he asks he would give him one anyway. 
I've alway wondered how Hisound makes a profit. I mean they give away so many review samples and they surely don't make a lot of money on each item... I mean their products are all so good for their price range. 

You might be overestimating the production value. And as you know if you have a good product this can be one of the most effective away to advertise it, good marketing opportunity.

Actually, I just realized that Dimitri is going to have these at CanJam, so I'll get to hear them there!  Thanks lee for the tip though! 
smile.gif

Hmm, did it match or beat the ones in bold above? 

Early impression is, they beat the UE 600/700 in a lot of areas and flat out beat the A151. Of coarse this may change as I give them more listening time

Okay yeah, but that's compelling enough to warrant an audition as-is. 
smile.gif

Oct 7, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #92 of 240
   Quote:

Actually, I just realized that Dimitri is going to have these at CanJam, so I'll get to hear them there!  Thanks lee for the tip though!  :smile:

Okay yeah, but that's compelling enough to warrant an audition as-is.  :smile:

Go for it Warren, they're nice sounding IEMs for the price. I'm not saying they're giant killers I just think they're good IEMs which are a good value so much so I'm gonna get a second pair for my girlfriend.

Oct 7, 2013 at 8:53 PM Post #93 of 240
The mail man came today,.

Happy with the packaging, white looks much better than the cardboard colour I found in  Wooduo 2's packaging earlier in the year. sits nicer to the eye and looks rather appealing, even the cord winder fish and cable clip this time round is colour coded down to the clear silicon tips, it's obvious some thought has been placed in the accessories, makes the kit look rather complete.

The "New HI Of Music" I like it, appealing catch phrase. 
regular_smile .gif

The complete contents below. As mentioned the colour codding looks nice, to complete this however a white carry case would of set the packaging right off for my preference, but none the less a little difference to the mix is probably a good thing. They're decent carry cases too, plenty of room inside and of course the white cord winder officially labeled with the Hisound Audio logo.  

Housings are pretty trendy design, nice and light in the hand seems to be build well, no obvious marks or glue spots. Markings for left and right can easily be seen,  I guess with the mic on one side above the Y spilt that right side will be easy to remember, they're rather comfortable to wear and sit nicely in my ear. I did however have to use another tip because my canals have stretched from months of IEM usage. Becoming a bit of a problem actually, but that story for another time.

One thing that really impresses me is the jack, Really like this!  Looks sturdy and resembles that of Vmoda, probably one of the nicer looking jacks I've seen on recent IEMs. It seems to be running on both the Rocco BA and Colorfly C3 without any problems despite the 4 pole. Yet to try DX50, I'll get around to that. The cable is also rather soft and flexible. nice to the touch.

And finally a very interesting nozzle opening which caught my eye, there's some splodges of paint on both sides which kind of put the build off a little but for this price considering the rest of the package I can over look this, as it's not going to be seen once a tip is on. More interesting is the cone shaped nozzle that vents outwards, I've seen this before and thought it's a great idea.

How do they sound? 

While typing this up I've been listening to BA-100 with my little Colorfly C3 playing some Andrea Bocelli,  they're rather pleasing to the ear, decent amount of detail for this kind of money, I can detect a hint of warmth in the mid-range helping against fatigue and the bass is pleasant, they're rather neutral to my ear, maybe a slight emphasis  on the mid range and slightly rolled off treble, the bass however is not like other Hisound IEM's I've heard for example Wooduo which was rather bass heavy, these are much more relaxed in the low end and pelasing to hear this time round.

I'll report in after a few days with a further impression, but so far I'm pretty happy with the sound, especially if they're only $50?, when you take that into consideration then wow, not bad at all. Especially for a balanced armature based at this price is peanuts to pay. 

Edit: Works on IBasso DX50 no problems here.

Oct 7, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #94 of 240
got these coming in...can't wait to hear them

Oct 8, 2013 at 2:47 PM Post #95 of 240
Got mine today. Listened breifly and then ran them pretty hard for a couple hours and listened again for a couple minutes. Mine came with the tips all the way back like described earlier in this thread. I don't care for it that way as the deep fit brings the lower mids up too much and slows their tempo. Using the tips on the first notch so they stick out more makes things line up well for me in every range and they now seem the great deal that's been mentioned. I didn't feel that way at all before moving the tips as I'm sensitive to a natural midrange. I'll describe more after a day or 2 but I do not need to retry the tip placement as the difference is beyond breakin variables. At least not for my preference. So far so good and it's now sounding more like a good BA at moderate dynamic price point. Stock tips are vg this way but I need to try some Grado/Ortofon tips on these. I suspect the sig will be complimentary.

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #96 of 240
 More interesting is the cone shaped nozzle that vents outwards, I've seen this before and thought it's a great idea.

BA100 applies the unique design at lot of places which lot of rest designers easily ignoring. For example, in your picture, there are 2 unique designs, one is the chamber that is all made by copper then not the aluminum, If it is aluminum, the sound will be changed a lot, even the speed will be changed to be a bit lack of crisp. Then we have to use the expensive copper material.

The other design secret  is the cone shape nozzle that vented out. if it is straight shape out, the sound will have regular reflection and cause the stationary wave, this will effect the sound quality evidently. You can test it with some wax to change the shape of nozzle. then you will see the different of the sound. We have make about 120 times experiments to finally get the best solution.

There are more private designs to ensure BA100 is anti-conventional BA earphones, especially the punch bass and the warm highs. To be frankly, you are very hard to find other single driver BA earphones has this kink of solid and deep bass , maybe BA100 is one of the warmest single driver BA earphones. Also, the thickness of the sound of BA 100 is one of the most thickness earphones. These advantage features usually need 3-4 BA drivers to realize.To be franly,few rest 2 drivers BA earphones has so good bass and so warm mids.  But we have realized it with only one driver.

BA100 is one of the serious design single driver BA earphones, You can compare to all rest single driver BA earphones and find out the BA100 are really very different to them.  

Hisoundaudio like to challenge the ultimate-limit. BA100 is the one to challenge the ultimate possibility of single BA driver. It has changed the usually impression of the BA drivers' shortcoming: dry , cool, and thin.

This is the mission of BA 100. 

Oct 8, 2013 at 8:32 PM Post #97 of 240
also, As the price of BA100, It will be 50% off at the released period for promotion, say, the 50 dollars price will be expired at the end of this month, then it will resume to be USD 99.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #98 of 240
EU customers can order from hisound.co.uk and get the ba100 fast and tax free. Just input the code BA100 at checkout to get the discount.

That code again is BA100

And url is www.hisound.co.uk

Oct 9, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #99 of 240

So after a day of somewhat abusive run in (free and impatient
wink_face.gif
) and tip rolling, I can say these easily play in a realm at or above their $100 price point. The stock tips are fine and Grado tips also work well but try a few doubles on them all the way to the base and you may get really great results. The stock tips are short and I prefer those up near the tip, the Grado/Orto tips can go lower on the body of the nozzle as they're longer and the UE doubles are quite long, should sit against the base and just sing on these. I have a half dozen double flange tips and these were the best overall. Second was a set with a slightly smaller opening and more taper on the top flange. May have been very slightly better balanced in the mids but not as interesting overall. Unlike some here that think frequency response is almost the only thing that matters, I find it's less important than other aspects of music reproductions as long as things line up well enough. The amount of extension, detail and balance with these is hard to fault now. I'm now using Monster gel tips but went a couple sizes up so that they would stick out more when against the base. They hold fine because the gel conforms but if you need smaller I'd probably use a small spacer behind them, They get longer as they get larger and I like the little bit of extra length fro the extra large

I really didn't like the stock tips pushed down to the base as others have mentioned but thought them good installed at the tip grove as described earlier. Still prefer the Grado singles and UE doubles overall. Lots of you have a pair ultimate ears double flanges from the tf10, sf3/5 days. Run these puppies in and try them. You wont regret it.

As for break in, they don't move that much but do so in important ways. Out of the box, they sound less extended in either direction and less refined overall. After some loosening up, that goes away. They open up on top, have texture and play notes in the bass. They don't get as black as the best but with these tips low level detail is all there, balance is good and they exhibit HiEnd type qualities in placement etc. Perspective is a 10th row sort of thing but there is depth and width if not totally 3d. I'm a bit spoiled by my JH13s

As setup, these have some extra lower treble and are a perhaps slightly warm overall but they are neither aggressive or sibilant and vocals sound quite natural and not weighed down in the least. There is technically some roll at the very extremes but with these tips, I bet you don't notice it on top unless you work to hear it or on the bottom unless there is some sub bass material. Bass roll is relative and I'm of the school that it needs to rise below 100hz to sound flat. These sound like they rise a bit in the midbass and stay linear from there down which is what many folks prefer anyway. The lower treble may bot suit some but I find it mitigated quite well with good tip choice.

So to conclude, with a bit of care, these play pretty easily at their $100 retail price (about $70 street) and at the current $49 deal are a no brainer. If you get them and don't like the way they sound with their tips pushed down to the base of their nozzles, don't fret, I didn't either but you can get very good results with proper use of the stock tips at the tip grove at the end of the nozzle that supports them and even better results with some others tips. 

Easy fit, comfort and storage due to size is obvious. I like everything about them except that there is no cinch and the mini plug is neither straight nor right angled and just a bit odd though absolutely no problem in use. A cinch is easy enough to make. Either a bit of heat shrink on it's own or to hold a cylinder together will get it done. That said, these are probably designed to be worn down and since microphonics are low, the cinch isn't required but if you like to wear your cables over the ear, it's useful.

Oct 9, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #102 of 240

That's how I heard the Astrotech AM70... looks like these cheap BAs have that in common at least. The two should be quite different, however, in terms of specs.

I may have you mixed up with another poster but if you're in my neck of the woods, (Chicago area) I'd certainly let you try them. 

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:07 PM Post #103 of 240
  I may have you mixed up with another poster but if you're in my neck of the woods, (Chicago area) I'd certainly let you try them. 

The closest I've ever come to Chicago is Houston...
redface.gif
...I may take a trip to Madison next summer, and might pass through O'Hare. Might. Actually, I'm quite sure that it's probably easier for me to talk to Jack about it, as I'm currently in Taiwan rather than California. The BA100 seems to be a nice sounding quantity, surely the tapered copper horn has something to do with it as well. Unfortunately, I'm not quite a fan of the PL11-like casing. If they changed the case, it'd be a lot more appealing to me.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #104 of 240

redface.gif
...I may take a trip to Madison next summer, and might pass through O'Hare. Might. Actually, I'm quite sure that it's probably easier for me to talk to Jack about it, as I'm currently in Taiwan rather than California. The BA100 seems to be a nice sounding quantity, surely the tapered copper horn has something to do with it as well. Unfortunately, I'm not quite a fan of the PL11-like casing. If they changed the case, it'd be a lot more appealing to me.

I was going to forward to someone, but the cost of forwarding to Europe or the US was ridiculous compared to the price of the iem. However, I could send it to you in Taiwan, should be reasonable.

Oct 9, 2013 at 10:45 PM Post #105 of 240

redface.gif

I like any case that is easy to insert, doesn't press uncomfortably against my ear and stays put. These qualify. They're sensitive to how you tip them and can change sig quite a bit so I could see reviews varying in kind. Point is to get it right so that their performance can be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back