Hippo VB vs Monster Turbine
Sep 19, 2010 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Alc Jr

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all, considering these two IEMs are now similarly priced bass "monsters" (no pun intended), I was wondering we could have a discussion on which one is better? I've only been on one half of the discussion being a Turbine owner myself and I found not only the bass but the phone itself to sound "cheap" next to my TF10's. I suppose that could be the case for any similarly priced IEM but since I'm looking for a workout/on the go IEM I am hoping the Hippo VB is superior to the Turbine, or at least superior to some triple drivers in bass quality.

Please feel free to weigh in, I'd love to hear which phone is superior!

Sep 20, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 8
The bass quality (and sub-bass quantity) on the VB is superb. That said, like all straight barrel IEMs, it isn't an ideal design for physical activity. Something that's designed to fit over the ear is best. On the cheap side is the meelectronics M6 - it's great for working out, and the sound is very good considering it's price ($35). If you want something more expensive, you have the westone IEMs, the phonak pfe, earsonics sm3, and so on.  Though personally I feel that truly high end IEMs are wasted in an exercise environment.

Sep 20, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Sorry I have to rain on the parade guys, but I have to advise against buying the Hippo VBs.  I had ordered one pair that ended up being defective because one side was blatantly louder and had much better bass response than the other side.  After trying out two replacements with the same exact problem (and waiting about 2 months because of shipping) I had to opt for a refund.  I know there were a few others on this forum that had a similar or exactly the same problem that I had.  It's really a shame because the "good" side sounded great with excellent bass response.  But, I can not recommend these since I had three pairs which exhibited the same problem to varying degrees.

I was also in the same exact boat in April I believe, trying to decide between the MTs and the VBs.  At this point, I wish I had tried out the MTs because I am back to using my $20 pair of Lenntek Sonix.  I will however be skipping the vanilla MTs and be purchasing the MTP Golds when I find a good deal, as I hear that they do everything better than the original turbine.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:58 AM Post #7 of 8
All these people must have very different ears than me, or maybe theyre just smoking crack... But the vbs sound absolutely terrible to me, their build quality and sound doesnt even compare to my turbines, or my friends pro gold turbines. I think that The hippo vbs are some sick joke that audiophiles on headfi trick newbies into buying. You would have better luck with $4.00 skull candys.

Jul 16, 2012 at 6:39 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
All these people must have very different ears than me, or maybe theyre just smoking crack... But the vbs sound absolutely terrible to me, their build quality and sound doesnt even compare to my turbines, or my friends pro gold turbines. I think that The hippo vbs are some sick joke that audiophiles on headfi trick newbies into buying. You would have better luck with $4.00 skull candys.

They sound terrible with the no dot plate. Have you tried 2/3 dots?

I do agree though, some of the reviews on here are pretty misleading and wayyy too exaggerated. I expected so much from them, but to be fair they aren't that bad for the price either. Sub bass is crazy and the only reason i do use them from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back