High-end IEM's Vs. High-end over ear headphones
Jul 22, 2012 at 5:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

belushka

Head-Fier
Do you think high end, multi BA IEMs that have 4 or more drivers per earphone like Westone4 or customs like Melody Miracle are better than high end dynamic over ear headphones like HD800 ?

Jul 22, 2012 at 6:01 AM Post #2 of 6
Apples and oranges comparison. Also do note that more drivers does not necessarily mean better sound, while you can get some high end customs and universals that share one or two sound similarities compared to some high end dynamic headphones but in the end, in this case to your question the HD800 will just have sound qualities that are leaps ahead of the W4 or Miracle. I have both the HD800's and the ES5 CIEM and its not a contender really, the ES5 isolates and blocks off sound 101% better then my HD800, but in the end, the HD800 (through my rig at least) is just much much more engaging with the music I listen to.

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
do you think it's because the dynamic drivers are better than BA ?
Can one driver cover the same frequency range as multiple drivers can?

I don't think that would be a "correct" question to ask. I guess it has more to do with the fact that cans can provide much better stage and feel to the music compared to IEM-s. even when my Able planet IS500 is much, much better in sound quality compared to sony xd200, the later is just much more open and wide and mind you, this IS500 in fact is better in that regard than every IEM I've listened to up until now (not much, but still)

Jul 22, 2012 at 7:31 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I think that IEM's are very dependant on a proper seal... If you don't have a proper seal you will get much lowered performance...

That would also apply to headphones...

Two different products filling two very different needs.

What are your needs?

Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back