High End IEM Choice
Sep 5, 2011 at 12:13 AM Post #16 of 61

Quote:
Definitely. The GR07 was the first thing to come to mind when I read the original post. The timbre is ridiculous, especially with cymbals. And the price is a huge factor in the decision. With the GR07, you're getting 95% of the performance of the EX1000 for less than half the price. Furthermore, these things are far more comfortable than any other IEM I've inserted into my ears. Several prominent head-fi'ers have declared this among the best universals. You can go check out joker's review on them too. It's a no-brainer in my opinion.

This begs for the question: have you actually heard the EX1000?

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #18 of 61
Thanks everyone for chiming in. 

Quote:
Who in the world said that the EX600 or EX1000 are terrible for rock? I listen to metal and rock primarily using the EX600. They are no slouches to those genres. Whoever said that had a poor fit, or is just wrong. To clarify, the EX600 (or EX1000; will be at my house soon enough :) ) are not the fastest IEM I have ever tried, but their pros far outweigh their cons.

And saying the UM3X is completely bested by the SM3 is also incorrect. I have not heard the SM3 so I cannot compare.

I am indeed very interested in EX600. Easy to buy used or new and seems to have a pretty goo price to value ratio. 

Quote:
Why no SE535?

I read some reviews of them in the early days they were introduced and was not impressed/ interested.

Quote:
Given his requirements, I can't believe that no one has mentioned the GR07.

Pretty high isolation for a dynamic, very good comfort and pretty non-fatiguing for extended listening, balanced, fairly neutral (a bit warm), surprisingly quick with excellent separation and layering accentuating their speed, and excellent for metal and rock but is pretty much a jack of most trades.

Caveats: Not the best cable, not microphonic but has some mind of its own issues. It may have some sibilance if you're sensitive.

Good luck with the W4. I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I just looked at GR07 and they seem to be good IEMs, BUT their built quality, warmth may be a bit of a turn down for me.

Quote:
Go Westone... I am a believer

I am having doubts now.

I have always wanted totry the Sony EX lineup and EX600 seem to be very interesting. I see some for sale in the forum. Also thinking about the EX800ST/ V7550.

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #19 of 61
I have tried the ex1000s, westone 4, sm3s, etc. On the whole, my favourite universal i the westone 4 as it has imo the most likeable soundsig for most types of music. However, if your budget permits, I would recommend customs, especially the UERMs

Sep 5, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #20 of 61

Quote:
I have tried the ex1000s, westone 4, sm3s, etc. On the whole, my favourite universal i the westone 4 as it has imo the most likeable soundsig for most types of music. However, if your budget permits, I would recommend customs, especially the UERMs

That is good news about W4.  

I am currently awaiting reply from a fello member about a pair of EX600s for a very good price and might indeed get them. 

I will try the lower priced ones first and if that does not work I will try W4. I had a discussion over PM and decided to dump CK10s.

Sep 5, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #22 of 61

Quote:
Thanks everyone for chiming in. 

I am indeed very interested in EX600. Easy to buy used or new and seems to have a pretty goo price to value ratio. 

I just looked at GR07 and they seem to be good IEMs, BUT their built quality, warmth may be a bit of a turn down for me.

I am having doubts now.

The classic last minute doubt haha. Darn capitalism and globalization giving us so much choice 
biggrin.gif

I'm interested in the EX600's myself, but for low-isolation required environments. Really, the GR07's are rock solid in build, its not something to worry about and shouldn't really be a factor; the cable just isn't the best in terms of its memory characteristics. The IEM's you have under consideration right now are all very highly regarded and I personally think you can't go wrong. If the EX600 doesn't work out (I hope it does) and you don't want to make the high priced jump to the W4, do consider the GR07's as I think they may tick off a lot of your boxes.

edit: changed censored word. 

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:22 AM Post #25 of 61

Quote:
That's good to hear. I know some people on this forum, mostly the newer posters, like to compare whatever is their favorite IEM at the time to IEMs they have never heard. 

While I am intrigued by the GR07, I have my most sought after IEM on it's way to my home right now 
biggrin.gif

And which one is that, pray tell 
popcorn.gif

Sep 5, 2011 at 11:42 AM Post #26 of 61

Quote:
And which one is that, pray tell 
popcorn.gif

The EX1000. I was close to buying it when it was at $500, but had to hold off due to things getting in the way, like gas/bills/college textbooks. Now I will get to have them 
biggrin.gif

I hope my ears haven't been spoiled by the EX600 too much in that I don't notice a huge difference in the EX1000 haha 
rolleyes.gif

Sep 6, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #30 of 61
So yesterday I paid for a pair of EX600s ($160). I should have them within 2 weeks or so. I will see how I like the EX series sound sig. Then I will either keep them, get EX1000s if I really like EX600s or try something else if I completely dislike them. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back