High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 9, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #2,056 of 4,183
I'm guessing more versatility? is there change or degradation in sq tho? I've heard somewhere that 2.5mm jacks may induce crosstalk. might be some myth that I subscribe to

Versality, yes, considering you are still trying to figure out your sources. Degradation or change in sound quality? I experienced that myself with some cheap adapters that use low quality connectors and cheap solder, all of which can affect the impedance. Regarding balanced inducing the crosstalk?, I think you mixed it up with something else. Balanced design of the source (it comes from the source design, not the jack), if designed properly, is usually done to separate Left/Right channels, to improve SNR, to lower noise floor, to increase output power. They don't use a common ground, keeping them more isolated, so there is less crosstalk.

Jul 9, 2018 at 7:12 AM Post #2,058 of 4,183
Earlier today I got a message from the distributor here in HK saying that my Janus D had arrived. Got really excited and rushed right over. However once I got there and opened the box, I found that it arrived with a 2.5mm balanced plug and a piggy tail cable to convert it to 4.4mm. I told them that I had specifically ordered one with a 4.4mm plug but was informed that all Janus cables came with 2.5mm plugs and a piggy tail cable to convert to whatever termination that was requested. Wasn't really happy with that but I thought if I was happy with the cable I could learn to live with the piggy tail. Unfortunately once I plugged everything in I found there was no sound coming out of my left ear piece. I fidgeted around with the 2.5mm connector of the piggy tail and found the sound to cut in and out of the left ear piece. Really wished that the cable was terminated with a 4.4mm plug, now I have to wait for it to be sent back to EA to get fixed.... :cry:

Jul 9, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #2,059 of 4,183
Edit: Nevermind

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #2,060 of 4,183
Some brief impressions of the Crystal Cable Duet, an $800 silver-gold alloy cable.

IMAG1559.jpg

The Duet offers a relatively neutral tonality, resulting from a slightly laid-back bass with a linear treble. With a bassier monitor like the Phantom it controls the warm air and provides an airier stage, but with a neutral monitor like Zeus the bass can feel a bit anaemic. Even so, it provides a clear sound without sounding bright; it's not a neutral-bright type of sound from a lifted treble, but more of a 'flat' neutral that doesn't seem to add color to the sound, which can be either good or bad depending on preference. In addition, it offers a highly resolved sound with good transparency - I would say, punching slightly above its price range. Its stage however, is a bit smaller than average. As a result, the Duet provides a highly focused sound in terms of staging, although it is not particularly spacious - the quality of air is high, but it doesn't convey a great sense of air between the instruments. As a result, detail is presented in an upfront manner due to its resolved and clear sound, but the separation could be a bit more effortless.

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #2,061 of 4,183
Some brief impressions of the Crystal Cable Duet, an $800 silver-gold alloy cable.

The Duet offers a relatively neutral tonality, resulting from a slightly laid-back bass with a linear treble. With a bassier monitor like the Phantom it controls the warm air and provides an airier stage, but with a neutral monitor like Zeus the bass can feel a bit anaemic. Even so, it provides a clear sound without sounding bright; it's not a neutral-bright type of sound from a lifted treble, but more of a 'flat' neutral that doesn't seem to add color to the sound, which can be either good or bad depending on preference. In addition, it offers a highly resolved sound with good transparency - I would say, punching slightly above its price range. Its stage however, is a bit smaller than average. As a result, the Duet provides a highly focused sound in terms of staging, although it is not particularly spacious - the quality of air is high, but it doesn't convey a great sense of air between the instruments. As a result, detail is presented in an upfront manner due to its resolved and clear sound, but the separation could be a bit more effortless.

Sounds like it could be an absolute monster in an 8-wire braid. :wink:

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #2,062 of 4,183
Hi guys -

New to the cable world and looking for some pointers: I'm currently trying to go 4.4mm with my TH900s and DX150 (+ AMP8).

The only pair of cables I've bought are a $50 pair from Amazon when my old cables died on me so I have zero experience. Where to even start?

I've browsed Moon-Audio, Plussound, Double Helix etc... And after all the reading I feel none the wiser...

Any information or pointers as to where to read up a bit more about the topic will be greatly appreciated.

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #2,063 of 4,183
Hi guys -

New to the cable world and looking for some pointers: I'm currently trying to go 4.4mm with my TH900s and DX150 (+ AMP8).

The only pair of cables I've bought are a $50 pair from Amazon when my old cables died on me so I have zero experience. Where to even start?

I've browsed Moon-Audio, Plussound, Double Helix etc... And after all the reading I feel none the wiser...

Any information or pointers as to where to read up a bit more about the topic will be greatly appreciated.

If you could tell us what kind of changes or refinements you’d like to make to the headphones, we can give you some general recommendations.

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #2,064 of 4,183
Hi guys -

Hi Cathee,

Have a look here www.lqicables.com

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:25 PM Post #2,065 of 4,183
If you could tell us what kind of changes or refinements you’d like to make to the headphones, we can give you some general recommendations.

Hi Cathee,

Have a look here www.lqicables.com

Thanks for the quick response guys...

To be honest, I'm not sure. I very much enjoy the TH900s as they are. My only complaint might be that the mids (upper mids in particular) can seem a bit lacking at times. Really I'm just looking for some decent balanced cables with 4.4mm termination. The only thing I know (from previous experience with IEMs) is that going from copper blend to pure silver cables gave me a "sterile"/"clinical" sound that I did not really appreciate.

Thanks.

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #2,066 of 4,183

Nice to see ya back and nice to see the one and only 2ch cable company I know of making iem cables represented here. Hopefully similarly to the big hitters getting into hp cables the same will soon happen with iems due to the increasing popularity. I know Kimber Axios was under the assumption that their cables would be too thick and heavy for iem use. Nathan will make one if requested though. With the popularity of 8 wire increasing (well at a fishbowl kinda rate) hopefully Kimber will soon realize the market is starting to accept such thackness.

I used two Crystal Cable Piccolo Diamond interconnects in my system TT>SUT>phonostage and really liked them, although in the end I found them to be slightly too diffuse in SS cohesion as well polite with the most dynamically charged passages, but the pros definitely outweighed the cons.

Clearly way OT but how cool are their Arabesque Minissimo speakers! C'mon : )
crystal_cable_minissimo.jpg

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #2,067 of 4,183
Thanks for the quick response guys...

To be honest, I'm not sure. I very much enjoy the TH900s as they are. My only complaint might be that the mids (upper mids in particular) can seem a bit lacking at times. Really I'm just looking for some decent balanced cables with 4.4mm termination. The only thing I know (from previous experience with IEMs) is that going from copper blend to pure silver cables gave me a "sterile"/"clinical" sound that I did not really appreciate.

Thanks.

Your options are pretty limited since the TH-900 mk2 uses unique connectors that look like HD6XX connectors, but are actually slightly different. I think reversed polarity and shallower depth.

When I had them, the only makers that supported them were Moon Audio and LQi cables. I went with Moon Audio's Black Dragon, and found their connectors fairly loose fitting. I ended up returning those and buying the Fostex XLR cable and used an adapter for 2.5mm. (I mainly needed XLR at the time)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #2,068 of 4,183
Your options are pretty limited since the TH-900 mk2 uses unique connectors that look like HD6XX connectors, but are actually slightly different. I think reversed polarity and shallower depth.

When I had them, the only makers that supported them were Moon Audio and LQi cables. I went with Moon Audio's Black Dragon, and found their connectors fairly loose fitting. I ended up returning those and buying the Fostex XLR cable and used an adapter for 2.5mm. (I mainly needed XLR at the time)

Sorry I should've been more clear - I have a TH900 MK1 modded by Peterek to 2.5mm mono plugs, which should be the same as Oppo PM series and the Senn HD700s? My main nominees right now the Moon Audio Black/Blue/Whatever Dragons or Plussound (the tri-copper looks brilliant but are definitely on the higher end of my budget).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back