High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Jul 3, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #2,026 of 4,183
I look forward to playing around with this Han Sound Audio Agni.

Unboxing 03.jpg

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #2,027 of 4,183
Just curious, what is the length of the cable?

Jul 3, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #2,028 of 4,183
Jul 3, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #2,029 of 4,183
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #2,030 of 4,183
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,031 of 4,183
4 wire cables are sooooooooo 2017. :smile:

Depends on the IEM. 8-Wire Thor II brings out the low-end and mid-range body in a big way. The FIBAE ME doesn't need any more bass or fullness, so I think a 4-wire silver might be perfect. I know Leonidas is great for that IEM.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #2,032 of 4,183
Depends on the IEM. 8-Wire Thor II brings out the low-end and mid-range body in a big way. The FIBAE ME doesn't need any more bass or fullness, so I think a 4-wire silver might be perfect. I know Leonidas is great for that IEM.
Oh I wasn't being serious, merely referencing the excitement generated recently from all these Ares & Thor 8 wire reviews, including your own. 4 wire cables will always be lighter and usually more ergonomic that's for sure.

Jul 4, 2018 at 5:13 PM Post #2,033 of 4,183
I still can't seem to decide between 8-wire, or a higher end 4-wire...

For those with 8-wire, what cases do you use? I would need to buy a new one (with 4-wire it is a snug fit) since the current one isn't a large metal case like the Oriolus (which fits the Ares II+ and still has room).

I can only speak for the Eros II 8W. Despite the higher wire count, the nature of its braid allows it to be easily rolled into a small coil and sits placidly (without any springy annoyance), when placed inside a case. As @SeeSax mentioned, the pelican 1010 works just fine to store and carry the Eros II 8W with the EE Phantom.

Now the Leonidas, its a step up, not only in terms of sound, but also in terms of cable ergonomics and looks. It set a new benchmark, as it is very supple, doesn't have any springy character and doesn't tangle very easily. It is also lighter than the 8W.

In terms of visual appeal, both sport a sophisticated look, but follow a different kind of sophistication. Leonidas has a subtle Royalty to its look. The Eros8 has a Bolder & Trendy look.

P.S: Don't read too much into the adjectives I am using here. I am just being dramatic to help differentiate the 2 cables.

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #2,034 of 4,183
I can only speak for the Eros II 8W. Despite the higher wire count, the nature of its braid allows it to be easily rolled into a small coil and sits placidly (without any springy annoyance), when placed inside a case. As @SeeSax mentioned, the pelican 1010 works just fine to store and carry the Eros II 8W with the EE Phantom.

Now the Leonidas, its a step up, not only in terms of sound, but also in terms of cable ergonomics and looks. It set a new benchmark, as it is very supple, doesn't have any springy character and doesn't tangle very easily. It is also lighter than the 8W.

In terms of visual appeal, both sport a sophisticated look, but follow a different kind of sophistication. Leonidas has a subtle Royalty to its look. The Eros8 has a Bolder & Trendy look.

P.S: Don't read too much into the adjectives I am using here. I am just being dramatic to help differentiate the 2 cables.
You prefer the sound of the Leonidas over the Eros II 8 wire? I'm interested to hear your impressions of how they compare sonically.

Jul 4, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #2,036 of 4,183
You prefer the sound of the Leonidas over the Eros II 8 wire? I'm interested to hear your impressions of how they compare sonically.

Both cables are more similar than different. Both present a very uncolored sound with good sub-bass. Leo’s bass impact is a touch stronger and has better treble extension. Leo’s upper treble can become a touch prominent when pairing with an IEM that already has good upper treble. So the E8 is a little linear and smoother in the upper treble, whereas, the Leo is slightly brighter and airier. Because of their very neutralish notes in the midrange, these are not the cables that are meant for restoring tone and fullness in the midrange, unless you are coming from an SPC cable, in which case these cables would sound slightly fuller, warmer and overall better.

The main difference between the Leo and E8, lies in the technical proficiency, where the Leo is a step above the E8. Leo’s resolution, articulation, transparency, depth, layering and imaging precision are a tiny bit better than E8.

But don’t let the difference in technicality dictate your decision. For example, with my LCD i4, E8 is a better match than the Leo, as the Leo starts to exaggerate the upper treble, pushing the sound into sterile territory.

Jul 4, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #2,037 of 4,183
Both cables are more similar than different. Both present a very uncolored sound with good sub-bass. Leo’s bass impact is a touch stronger and has better treble extension. Leo’s upper treble can become a touch prominent when pairing with an IEM that already has good upper treble. So the E8 is a little linear and smoother in the upper treble, whereas, the Leo is slightly brighter and airier. Because of their very neutralish notes in the midrange, these are not the cables that are meant for restoring tone and fullness in the midrange, unless you are coming from an SPC cable, in which case these cables would sound slightly fuller, warmer and overall better.

The main difference between the Leo and E8, lies in the technical proficiency, where the Leo is a step above the E8. Leo’s resolution, articulation, transparency, depth, layering and imaging precision are a tiny bit better than E8.

But don’t let the difference in technicality dictate your decision. For example, with my LCD i4, E8 is a better match than the Leo, as the Leo starts to exaggerate the upper treble, pushing the sound into sterile territory.
Thanks for your impressions EagleWings, I'll certainly heed your advice that synergy between the IEM and cable is of paramount importance.

Its difficult to understand how adding gold which is less conductive than silver, to a silver cable can result in a more articulate presentation than silver alone as in the case of the Thor vs Leonidas for instance, but cable acoustics aren't an exact science.

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #2,038 of 4,183
Thanks for your impressions EagleWings, I'll certainly heed your advice that synergy between the IEM and cable is of paramount importance.

Its difficult to understand how adding gold which is less conductive than silver, to a silver cable can result in a more articulate presentation than silver alone as in the case of the Thor vs Leonidas for instance, but cable acoustics aren't an exact science.

Exactly. Who’s to say conductivity plays into articulation or detail at all? :wink:

Jul 5, 2018 at 12:19 AM Post #2,039 of 4,183
Exactly. Who’s to say conductivity plays into articulation or detail at all? :wink:
Exactly. Construction over conductor is what I've been told by a couple who live in the inner circle of cablecraft :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back