High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 28, 2017 at 6:12 AM Post #781 of 4,183
Well if budget is of no concern and wait time is not an issue double helix cables are fantastic, I have v3 type 4 litz 8 braid on my encore and have tried hybrid copper 8 braid on my 846, preferred both to alo ref 8. Matter of fact the only alo cable I liked is the now defunct quad ribbon they use to offer, it looked like a fruit roll up, too bad they delisted it.

May 28, 2017 at 6:22 AM Post #782 of 4,183
Hi,
I have the Dita Dream with Truth cable and would consider doing into the highway to hell: cable upgrades

The most likely content is the 1960 4 wires.
My understanding from comments would seem to imply that it would most likely just make everything better (although it might reduce the bass impact).

Or would it be better to start with a lesser cable that would actually change the signature/ tone? Maybe something brighter and more sparkly (silver ?)
Or would the 1960 be endgame and no other lesser cable would add anything to the music.

Cheers

As the Truth cable already costs $550 on its own, I would not have expected the Dream to benefit so much more from another upgrade cable.
I thought the Truth cable was already one of the best totl cables out there, but I might have been wrong :thinking:

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 7:48 AM Post #783 of 4,183
Well every cable has its own properties and effect on the signature, including the 1960 4-wire. And just like iems, it depends on what kind of signature you prefer. That being said, 4-Wire is at the top of its game due its outstanding resolution and transparency. Regardless of signature, this will give it an advantage over most cables.

Also, the 4-Wire has a lift in the upper treble. It has a significant amount of sparkle, more than some silver cables.

The 4-wire certainly don't sound like a copper cable at all...to me it sits at the top of my favourite iem cable with only the Leonidas 8-wire coming close.

*of course I have not heard them all but I've heard quite a number

May 28, 2017 at 11:02 AM Post #784 of 4,183
Hi,
I have the Dita Dream with Truth cable and would consider doing into the highway to hell: cable upgrades

The most likely content is the 1960 4 wires.
My understanding from comments would seem to imply that it would most likely just make everything better (although it might reduce the bass impact).

Or would it be better to start with a lesser cable that would actually change the signature/ tone? Maybe something brighter and more sparkly (silver ?)
Or would the 1960 be endgame and no other lesser cable would add anything to the music.

Cheers

It's really hard to give a good answer to your questions without knowing how you would describe the sound you are getting now, and what about that sound you wish was different (better?). Answering that gives people a way of knowing how your sonic perceptions work, and how to help you get where you would like to go.

May 28, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #785 of 4,183
30970224_Unknown.JPG
End game portable rig for me. Pwaudio 1960s 4 wire with the FitEar MH335DW. Audio bliss! Upgraded from the 4 wire leonidas. Might need to swap ip the WM1A for the WM1Z though to be truly end game.

May 28, 2017 at 1:23 PM Post #786 of 4,183
End game...for me...Might need....to be truly end game.
Haha, the (bleeding wallet) story of HF in a nutshell :wink:

Very nice portable rig you've got over there...must sound fantastic :thumbsup:

May 28, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #787 of 4,183
I just picked up a 1960s cable and this thing is incredible! I've been cable-gnostic for as long as I've been a head-fi'er and mostly bought cables in the past for practical reasons, however, the sound quality seems to be on another level compared to the whiplash and toxic cables that I've had before. I'll say more on that after the luster of new toy syndrome wears off, but placebo or not, it's made me a believer.

The biggest surprise for me wasn't the sound quality (I expected something for the price I paid!), but its ergonomics. Its really worth highlighting that this is a dream for on-the-go use: zero microphonics, incredibly comfortable, tangle-free, and light weight. I really like that its inauspicious too; I don't want to be out in public and have people staring at bright 8-wire silver or copper cables connected to my ears (but to each their own). This cable just seems to disappear so that its me and the music.

These are just early impressions, as I've had it a grand total of 3 days. I don't see one yet, so I'm thinking of creating a dedicated pwaudio thread and I'll also try to give this a proper review once I get more acquainted.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #788 of 4,183
I just picked up a 1960s cable and this thing is incredible! I've been cable-gnostic for as long as I've been a head-fi'er and mostly bought cables in the past for practical reasons, however, the sound quality seems to be on another level compared to the whiplash and toxic cables that I've had before. I'll say more on that after the luster of new toy syndrome wears off, but placebo or not, it's made me a believer.

The biggest surprise for me wasn't the sound quality (I expected something for the price I paid!), but its ergonomics. Its really worth highlighting that this is a dream for on-the-go use: zero microphonics, incredibly comfortable, tangle-free, and light weight. I really like that its inauspicious too

I am assuming this is the 2 wires version?

May 29, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #792 of 4,183

The biggest surprise for me wasn't the sound quality (I expected something for the price I paid!), but its ergonomics. Its really worth highlighting that this is a dream for on-the-go use: zero microphonics, incredibly comfortable, tangle-free, and light weight. I really like that its inauspicious too; I don't want to be out in public and have people staring at bright 8-wire silver or copper cables connected to my ears (but to each their own). This cable just seems to disappear so that its me and the music.

These are just early impressions, as I've had it a grand total of 3 days. I don't see one yet, so I'm thinking of creating a dedicated pwaudio thread and I'll also try to give this a proper review once I get more acquainted.
Damn son, from a cable-agnostic to the 1960 4-wire?? That's quite a step to make! But the 4-wire will cure all doubt, that's one thing for sure.

May 29, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #793 of 4,183
Damn son, from a cable-agnostic to the 1960 4-wire?? That's quite a step to make! But the 4-wire will cure all doubt, that's one thing for sure.

I've never been a cable denier, but I found that the "moderately" priced cables that I used gave sonic changes that either were very subtle or could be chalked up to placebo effect. I figure the best way to put to rest whether or not cables make a difference is to try one of the greats, something that would shake me by the collar and say, "I make a difference, damnit!" So now my ears are happy but my stomach is not- it looks like its plain rice or noodles for the next month.

May 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM Post #794 of 4,183
I recently got the Truth Copper on loan from Dita, which came in especially handy to check out the balanced output of the WM1Z. But I also tested it with my trusty AK and some iems, and I have taken a liking to it.

The Copper has good low-end extension, paired with an attenuated bass response. This might be a turn off for some people, but it works wonders on its presentation. The Copper creates a spacious stage both in width and depth, resulting in a nice 3D stage. The laid-back bass results in a particularly airy stage, enhancing the spacious feel of the stage. Accordingly, the separation is very good, as well as its midrange transparency. In accordance with the bass quantity, the lower midrange is laid-back. However, the balance between the centre and upper midrange is very good, and because of this linear relation its tone is quite accurate, especially since the treble is not enhanced. It's lightly warm, but not overly so. Clear, but not bright. This works especially well for iems that suffer from the common upper midrange dip, which tends to 'dull' their tone.

So, how this translates to sound is a neutral note size, that isn't overly thick in accordance with the laid-back bass. Similarly, vocals are not overly full or forward. However, the balance in their articulation is very good; the range between depth and pronunciation. As a result of the large and airy stage, the presentation is very clean and organised, even more so because of the compact note size. It's a detailed image based on separation, without having to resort to a brighter treble. And the instrument tone is very realistic, resulting in what I feel is a beautiful sound. Not overly warm, just accurate. It's a type of signature that might not appeal to bass-heads, but more so to people that value a great stage and general presentation, both in terms of dimensions and quality. Within that stage, instruments have a realistic tone as well as good transparency.

May 30, 2017 at 3:27 AM Post #795 of 4,183
upload_2017-5-30_15-22-35.png

While I understand I can easily achieve the above with EQ, EQ might not always be available (e.g. running Tidal on iPhone, Aune M1S). Can anyone recommend a cable that can apply the above EQ on my Jomo Samba? I'm not looking to change the sound signature, just hoping to attenuate the mid-bass and bring up upper treble more.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back