High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
May 31, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #811 of 4,183
Hi @Deezel177

Thanks for the recommendation. When you say the bass is attenuated, did you mean to say accentuated? I managed to try my Samba with a 8 core DHC v3 today and while it does create a airy and sparklier treble presentation, the bass (sub and mid bass) was actually boosted as well. It does sound very good though. Tonality was natural sounding and I did hear a slight improvement in separation. Would a 4 core DHC be better? Bass reduction wise

No, I did mean attenuated; I felt the 4-core Symbiote SP made IEMs like my Aether and my Athena, which have bold, bodied, and blooming bass (especially mid-bass) presentations, settle down significantly to complement the airy and sparkly treble. Maybe the 8-core configuration is responsible for this change. Nevertheless, thank you for bringing this to light, I'll give the 8-wire a try if I get the chance; a bassy Symbiote SP might be brilliant for a jack-of-all-trades kind of cable.

Cheers! :D

May 31, 2017 at 10:42 AM Post #812 of 4,183
No, I did mean attenuated; I felt the 4-core Symbiote SP made IEMs like my Aether and my Athena, which have bold, bodied, and blooming bass (especially mid-bass) presentations, settle down significantly to complement the airy and sparkly treble. Maybe the 8-core configuration is responsible for this change. Nevertheless, thank you for bringing this to light, I'll give the 8-wire a try if I get the chance; a bassy Symbiote SP might be brilliant for a jack-of-all-trades kind of cable.

Cheers! :D

That's interesting. That does sound like the cable I need! I will try to catch a 4-core for audition. Otherwise, a blind purchase might be in order. Yes, do give the 8-core a try. I have very low tolerance for bass so I'm very sure it was boosted.

Thanks again!

May 31, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #813 of 4,183
Hi @Deezel177

Thanks for the recommendation. When you say the bass is attenuated, did you mean to say accentuated? I managed to try my Samba with a 8 core DHC v3 today and while it does create a airy and sparklier treble presentation, the bass (sub and mid bass) was actually boosted as well. It does sound very good though. Tonality was natural sounding and I did hear a slight improvement in separation. Would a 4 core DHC be better? Bass reduction wise
Dont fear the Bass.

May 31, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #814 of 4,183
Dont fear the Bass.

It's hard to find high fidelity equipment that suits the music I listen to, which are mostly heavy metal. Most audiophil-ish earphones tend to be tuned with thick lower mids and smooth highs, with the exceptions such as the Hidition NT-6 and Fitear private 333. The Earsonics s-em9 was almost perfect except for the very prominent (but very tight) bass.

May 31, 2017 at 11:03 AM Post #815 of 4,183
It's hard to find high fidelity equipment that suits the music I listen to, which are mostly heavy metal. Most audiophil-ish earphones tend to be tuned with thick lower mids and smooth highs, with the exceptions such as the Hidition NT-6 and Fitear private 333. The Earsonics s-em9 was almost perfect except for the very prominent (but very tight) bass.
Ah I see, you're really looking to accentuate the bass as a priority. Well to be honest the Truth Copper I described above does that very well, and I really appreciate the effect it has on the stage. It just doesn't bring out the mid/upper treble (which I think is good for its tone). Also, the cable is a bit springy and different in its build than regular cables. I would have liked to test the combo for you, but my Samba is on vacation in the US at the moment.

May 31, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #816 of 4,183
like this

May 31, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #818 of 4,183
Ah I see, you're really looking to accentuate the bass as a priority. Well to be honest the Truth Copper I described above does that very well, and I really appreciate the effect it has on the stage. It just doesn't bring out the mid/upper treble (which I think is good for its tone). Also, the cable is a bit springy and different in its build than regular cables. I would have liked to test the combo for you, but my Samba is on vacation in the US at the moment.

I guess bringing down the bass and lower mids would allow upper treble to breathe easier, so yes, attenuating the bass would be top priority. I actually do have access to the Truth cable, I will give it a try. My preference is moving towards a natural tonality, unfortunately, those usually comes with thick and cushiony lows.

May 31, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #819 of 4,183
May 31, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #820 of 4,183
i have been watching the sale forum for a great cable offer for my shure 846 with 2.5 mm balanced but so far no great offers as I used to see in the past,
I am looking for a basshead cable :), something that adds as much as possible bass, great full mids and wide sound stage, which I guess u call it a summer cable. Its always the opposite once u look for something u do not find it and once u do not look for something u see lots of offers

Last edited:
May 31, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #821 of 4,183
Thanks for the recommendation, @blazinblazin .

@EagleWings Norne produces another variant of silver cables called the Silvergarde. Should I be looking at that as well? Otherwise, is there a difference in terms of SQ, between the 4-core and 8 core variant of Therium?

I've used both, the Silvergarde is a clear improvement over Therium. The sound is a lot more natural, more airy, has visceral bass impact, extended and very relalistic treble. I mostly listen to hi-res binaural jazz, with some alternative, EDM and regular top 40 songs in the mix. I don't know whether it will suit your preference of songs, but it's definitely an improvement over Therium.

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:00 AM Post #822 of 4,183
Give these a try if you like, @jmills8:

Great taste in music, only seen Architects at their album launch gig in brighton last year, signed vinyl:

DA_EG06WAAA8bEm.jpg:large

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #823 of 4,183
I guess bringing down the bass and lower mids would allow upper treble to breathe easier, so yes, attenuating the bass would be top priority. I actually do have access to the Truth cable, I will give it a try. My preference is moving towards a natural tonality, unfortunately, those usually comes with thick and cushiony lows.
Ah great, try the Copper version for a more natural sound. The SPC is more 'reference'.

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #824 of 4,183

Users who are viewing this thread

Back