High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Apr 26, 2017 at 11:43 PM Post #721 of 4,183
He did not say that. He is focusing if a thin cable to a thicker cable sound different.

Apr 27, 2017 at 9:12 AM Post #722 of 4,183
Thanks for the feedback. Sure doesn't make the search for an upgrade cable any easier though lol...

So... a cable upgrade won't be noticeable with an IEM in general? Even one like the Vega? Or is it that the type of cable will make more of a difference than the thickness or wire count?

The composition of the material is more important than the guage of the cable, generally you would want something light and flexible, anything heavy and stiff tends to be microphonic.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #723 of 4,183
Has anyone tried stuff from OC cable from Taiwan? They seem to have good prices for 8-braids.

Apr 28, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #725 of 4,183
Thanks man. You have a lot of experience with EA cables as well. I'm sure the reviews will turn out great.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:54 AM Post #727 of 4,183
ironpeg : Wow it's great. Since you own a lot of High-end cables. You might decribe the comparsion between OC cables and others widely. Look forward to your review.

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:56 AM Post #728 of 4,183
I'm kind of confused with the higher range of OC cable range. Could someone explain what are the materials used for Grace 2 and OC AU X?

Grace 2 = Silver (UEX) 4 wires + Gold-plated Silver (AUX) 4 wires.
AUX = Gold-plated Silver 4 wires or 8 wires.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #730 of 4,183
He did not say that. He is focusing if a thin cable to a thicker cable sound different.
Hence why I asked if what he was saying is that the cable type makes more of a difference than the thickness or count.

Still taking forever to decide... in between the Ref 8 (some say it's too microhphonic), the Plussound X6 SPC, Effect Audio Thor Silver II, OC Monarch, Labkables 8 Wire Silver Galaxy Mix, Silverfi IEM2, and PWAudio Blackicon Pure Silver 4 Wire.

Edit: add the Plussound Exo with T Metal... may end up with that one thanks to the review @PinkyPowers wrote on the 6 wire version

Last edited:
May 8, 2017 at 12:03 PM Post #731 of 4,183
I've mentioned SilverFi a couple of times here, as it is a very special brand. I've been working on a review of what used to be their flagship cable, up until the moment I received mine hehe. Sezai released R5 shortly after, but I might get a chance to try it in the near future.

This won't be a cable for everybody due to its unconventional build and most of all price, but I hope you nevertheless enjoy the review.

http://theheadphonelist.com/the-silverfi-iem-r4-cable-royalty/

R2.png

May 8, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #732 of 4,183
Great review as usual man. The way you have described the soundstage on this cable, it looks like it would be an endgame for a stage-head like myself.

I know its an unfair question as you heard the Leonidas almost a year back, but from your memory, how would you compare the stage and tone between the R4 and the Leo?

May 8, 2017 at 1:05 PM Post #733 of 4,183
From memory Leonidas has a relatively uncolored signature, that tends towards reference with a fun element - its bass. There's a lot of dynamism in its hits, its a very clear impact because of the way the treble colours it. I think the upper bass is laidback, so the midrange isn't inherently warm. But its transparency benefits from the bass, as does the airiness of the stage. I remember Leonidas creating a very clean stage, which aids the separation. I think it didn't necessarily create a wider stage, although it added some depth.

R4's midrange is slightly warmer, partially due to a slightly attenuated treble. The R4's treble is warmer and smoother in tone. R4's stage is larger in all directions, but in all fairness, that counts for every cable :) Especially the difference in width is significant, although I'd imagine it's also deeper.

May 8, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #734 of 4,183
Thanks buddy. I knew I was inviting trouble with that question. The R4 is officially on my bucket list now. Sometimes, ignorance is bliss after all. He he.

Oh btw, how does it pair with the Zeus in aspects other than the stage?

May 8, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #735 of 4,183
Also, does it widen the stage further of IEMs that already have a wide stage such as W900 and A18?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back