High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Feb 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #1,561 of 4,183
I used Comply for years quite happily, but when I moved up to an AK240SS and then an AUSP1000SS (with Angie and Zeus) I found that my personal taste switched from Comply to a Sony hybrid tip and now to Final Audio E tips (silicone). I just found them a bit livelier than the Comply (which I have a gallon baggie full of a wide variety of). My UERM is a CIEM and the silicone tips seem to replicate that seal pretty well. The UERM was a long-term effort to get the fit right, and even though it now is close to perfect I can still break seal by opening my mouth (I walk while listening, so sometimes breathing means opening my mouth :) ). The FA's don't do that.

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #1,562 of 4,183
PlusSound just released their new PS Insulation, which offers a great improvement in ergonomics and performance. I posted an image of the Exo Silver + Gold a few days ago (here) and I have been really impressed by it so far.

Yeah, the new insulation is great. A real improvement over their earlier stuff, which wasn't bad itself. But this is better. :)

I talked with Christian, and this cable I'm reviewing has not been announced yet, so I can't go into the details. But they are exciting, unique, and rather interesting. :innocent:

Feb 18, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #1,563 of 4,183
Yeah, the new insulation is great. A real improvement over their earlier stuff, which wasn't bad itself. But this is better. :)

I talked with Christian, and this cable I'm reviewing has not been announced yet, so I can't go into the details. But they are exciting, unique, and rather interesting. :innocent:
Very nice to hear! Always good to see new innovations. I get the impression Christian is doing a great job there, and not just with his cables!

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:12 PM Post #1,564 of 4,183
I use the Effect Audio Lionheart. After looking at many posts, there seemed to be some agreement that this cable was a good match for the A18. I asked Eric at Effect Audio (as I had bought previous cables from them and really liked the experience) and his recommendation was the Lionheart. So, I bought it and I've been really happy with it. It is very transparent and neutral. It just feels like it opens up the music and creates a big soundstage compared to other cables I've tried. It retails for approximately 400 Euros.
Thanks for the advice. Is it a durable cable? Tangle free? How does the bass sound with it?

Feb 18, 2018 at 3:59 PM Post #1,566 of 4,183
Thor Silver II and plusSound Exo T-Metal are good choices.

Feb 18, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #1,567 of 4,183

Hi Pinky, looking forward to hearing more from you about the new cable. My Zeus R is pairing with PS EXO copper and I am happy with it. Christian is a very nice guy. His customer service is top notch.

Feb 18, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #1,569 of 4,183
Thanks for the advice. Is it a durable cable? Tangle free? How does the bass sound with it?

No issues with durability. It is very supple, but I've never had any issues with it getting tangled. The overall sound does not put an emphasis on any one frequency (to my ears). It is just a very transparent cable that brings out a lot of detail and creates a really nice soundstage. I've paired it with my A18 and I really like that combination (bass is very nice, but not exaggerated).

Feb 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #1,571 of 4,183
I try it at a local audio shop in singapore yesterday, pairing it with the andromeda which the shop recommends, i find it the low ends to be too overwhelming & boomy, the clarity was slightly off and sounded muffed

Ah interesting, thanks for sharing. I think I will stick with my Ref8 in that case.

Feb 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #1,573 of 4,183
I haven't heard the Gold, but when you think about the stereotypical characteristics, copper=smoothness and warmth, gold=colouration and note richness. I think it's meant to deliver a more euphonic, emotional and musical experience, without much emphasis on clarity/transparency. For my preferences I'd avoid GPC (my favourite cable is a GPS, however), but I can imagine other people enjoying them.

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:02 AM Post #1,574 of 4,183
I haven't heard the Gold, but when you think about the stereotypical characteristics, copper=smoothness and warmth, gold=colouration and note richness. I think it's meant to deliver a more euphonic, emotional and musical experience, without much emphasis on clarity/transparency. For my preferences I'd avoid GPC (my favourite cable is a GPS, however), but I can imagine other people enjoying them.

Yeah that makes sense. Which GPS cable do you like personally?

Feb 19, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #1,575 of 4,183
Yeah that makes sense. Which GPS cable do you like personally?
Only tried one lol, the Whiplash TWau v2. Delivers the silver characteristics I know and love (detail), a touch of warmth all-round in gold.

I thought a copper/silver hybrid might replicate this, but the hybrid cable I've tried (Eros I) tends to be V-shaped and flattens the mids somewhat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back