High end (IEM) cable thread: impressions, pics, comparisons and reviews.
Feb 19, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,576 of 4,183
Han Sound Muse II Review :beyersmile:

https://audio123blog.wordpress.com/2018/02/14/han-sound-muse-ii/

photo_2018-02-06_12-16-00.jpg

Feb 21, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #1,577 of 4,183
Please give some impression regarding eos cable
This is just my opinion, of what I'm hearing with the EOS cable versus the standard cable, the mimic cable and a third cable I picked up from eBay. I'll keep it brief. First let me start off by saying I'm a musician first (sax player) audiophile second. I have a very good big rig which I have carefully assembled over time and has allowed me to refine my audiophile side. I haven't been able to listen much because I had to move out of my home into an apartment and my neighbors tend to complain when I turn on my rig. So I have become a avid headphone listener. I also believe cable does make a difference. On my big rig I have some very expensive Verastarr silver cable throughout.
I just upgraded my portable rig with a Hugo2 which allows me to hear more of the subtleties associated with changes made downstream. On to the EOS, the first adjective that comes to mind is vivd. Not to the extreme of brightness, similar to the impression I had with the Ares II on my Noble iems, spotlit but not bright. Extended without being sibilant or harsh. The cable does little, but very noticeable things, increased air around instruments, while not adding bass, bass appears tighter cleaner. Vocals also seem to take on a natural sheen, again more air, but not exaggerated, because of these attributes soundstage seems to be more layered, but not wider. Everything seems to be slightly clearer, cleaner with treble slightly more extended again without sounding zippy. One final thought on staging, because of the separation and appearance of more air, spatial cues seem to be much more distinct. For me the cable makes my Layla's a better ciem. Some day I'd like to try the Horus to see where that cable will take the Layla's.
I checked my findings over and over again, the same passages to ensure what I was hearing is not placebo. I used a couple of tunes, Macy Gray, "Annabelle", Cassandra Wilson, "Love is Blindness" Hugh Masekela "Hope" Patricia Barber, "Black Magic Woman" Terrance Blanchard, "Levees"

Last edited:
Feb 22, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #1,578 of 4,183
I'm new here, but after speaking with Nic and the folks at Effect Audio I wanted to share some thoughts on cables. I come from the 2 channel world adn have been in and around audio since 1969. I will make my first post brief to see if I get flamed or not, lol. :) . I realize that some will not agree with my posts, but here goes.

First off cables are made of wires and dielectric. The dielectric does load up over time and it needs to be dissipated if possible. The Audioquest line uses DBS that is patented under a good friend Richard Vandersteen (Vandersteen speakers) and Bill Low owns Audioquest. This little battery device keeps the dielectric from loading up. Some of you engineers will know what I'm talking about, even though you may disagree, lol.

The wires are made up of grains and they have boundaries that are like little rivers between the grains. All the wire is an alloy, which is pure copper or silver (mostly) with bits of other elements mixed in to help with the properties of the cable. They will be tinsel strength, elongation (stretching), vickers hardness and grain size). In wire you want the largest grains you can get. Perfect I was told is a solid grain crystal. I guess that's how they become directional as some cables are in the 2 channel world. What you alloy with will change the sound character of the wire also. I won't get into plating in this post but would love to hear what others know about it. I just equate it to changing the skin effect for the mids and highs, but I know there is much much more like timing of the signal passing etc... Again, NOT A TECH guy, lol.

Cold welding is probably the best way to pass a signal, but it's very expensive to do properly. I spoke with the Effect Audio guys and they wish they have that machine for the cables. It really will make a sound difference with a HIGH REZ IEM/CIEM/CAN or other transducer. These are just some thoughts of mine on cables. Geometry is also a HUGE part. Heck the new EA cables are the same 8 wire cable for IEM's, but they are braided differently and sound very different. Both are outstanding though adn I'll review as soon as I can get my hands on a pair of the warmer ones, lol.

Feb 23, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #1,579 of 4,183
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:24 PM Post #1,580 of 4,183
Last edited:
Feb 23, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #1,581 of 4,183
Looks like you may have made the same mistake I did, and have the channels reversed. The plusSound logo faces the inside... at least for the two cables I have. Which are 2-pin. Maybe it's different for MMCX connectors. I know, it feels wrong, but that's how they do it. :)

It remains one of audio's greatest mysteries to this day...

Feb 24, 2018 at 5:49 AM Post #1,583 of 4,183
Guys who have already tried, is there big gap between Labkable Samurai III and PW audio 1960 4-wire in highs, bass?
Thx
Very different cables, Samurai III reduces bass quantity, 4-Wire has the bass you'd expect of a copper. Their tonality is also quite different, Samurai has a nice lift in the upper mids, giving it a melodious sound. 4-wire has more prominent upper treble, making it clearer and more transparent overall.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #1,584 of 4,183
V

Very different cables, Samurai III reduces bass quantity, 4-Wire has the bass you'd expect of a copper. Their tonality is also quite different, Samurai has a nice lift in the upper mids, giving it a melodious sound. 4-wire has more prominent upper treble, making it clearer and more transparent overall.
Thx man!
It's so as I've thought. I've heard only Samurai III. It has detailed highs, tightened bass but it becomes too flat for me. I had a hope that PWaudio would add bass responce and a little bit details. It turns out that it is possible
P.S I hope to read your comparison between AK and Z1:blush:

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #1,585 of 4,183
Mar 1, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,586 of 4,183
Todays lunch break will consist of me trying to find the right pairing for my Inearz P350

Top Row (left to right): Effect Audio Ares II, Forza Audioworks Hybrid, WA Audio Gin
Bottom Row (left to right): Atlas Cables Zeno IEM, Plussound Exo Copper, Home-made Toxic Cables Viper

Test Track: Porcupine Tree - Trains
DAP: Audio Opus #2

:D

IMG_20180301_121015-01.jpeg

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:42 AM Post #1,587 of 4,183
Todays lunch break will consist of me trying to find the right pairing for my Inearz P350

Top Row (left to right): Effect Audio Ares II, Forza Audioworks Hybrid, WA Audio Gin
Bottom Row (left to right): Atlas Cables Zeno IEM, Plussound Exo Copper, Home-made Toxic Cables Viper

I say, that is a wonderful lunch menu! :D

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #1,588 of 4,183

How does the gin compare to the plussound? Also cost wise

Mar 1, 2018 at 8:35 AM Post #1,589 of 4,183
How does the gin compare to the plussound? Also cost wise

I'll test them back to back shortly, but the Gin is around £179.99 and the Exo Copper is $199 (around £150).

Gin leans towards a brighter, crisper presentation, it is a silver/gold mix, the Exo Copper is a little fuller bodied, but still detailed and airy for a copper cable.

Mar 1, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #1,590 of 4,183
I'll test them back to back shortly, but the Gin is around £179.99 and the Exo Copper is $199 (around £150).

Gin leans towards a brighter, crisper presentation, it is a silver/gold mix, the Exo Copper is a little fuller bodied, but still detailed and airy for a copper cable.
Also would like a comparison with the ares 2 as I am looking for an alternative sidegrade for my iem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back