High End CIEM/IEM Thread!
May 8, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #346 of 903
  This is actually the correct NT6 graph.  It's pretty neutral with touch of warmth.

According to who, Hidition?  Here is Rin's data...

Now to be fair it can be corrected fairly easily to look like this...

May 11, 2014 at 11:55 PM Post #347 of 903
Is there anyone here that switched to IEMs from high-end fullsize for home use? I ask as I've been exclusively using open full sized headphones, and well.. I'm looking to expand my music collection into genres that aren't loud enough to drown out the noise from my family and the TV in the other room. As much as I like metal, I'm somewhat limited in my current situation except for listening very late at night which has become less of an option as life has gone on.

What should I expect moving from high end dynamic headphones to in-ears? Do the stereotypes of lacking dynamics/soundstaging apply to the high end? Or customs even? The closest thing to my Ultrasones that more people are likely to have heard would be the Beyerdynamics. I'd really be taking a gamble here as I would have to sell my ED12s to fund a flagship CIEM, so I want to know what I'd be getting into. Plus I'd have to buy an amplifier, running IEMs through a speaker amp would just be laughable and borderline insane.

Another reason I ask is because the power at our house isn't very good so I've been looking into switching to battery powered amplification for awhile now. What do people here use amp wise? Does anyone use their IEMs with desktop/larger amplifiers?

I've had limited experience with in-ears so far. I had a bad experience with the Ultrasone Pyco, and have heard a few low end in-ears(we're talking $15 here) that were ok but nothing more. Is it crazy to jump right to TOTL customs? Or will I just leave myself disappointed trying something lower end after I've been spoiled with a top full-size set of cans?

To summarize my preferences, similar to my ED12 setup: velvety, decent sized soundstage(could be larger,) realistic timbre(especially with drums/vocals,) not overly warm(smoothness>warmth) and scalability depending on the music. My vintage amps leave a strong character on the music so I don't need a full on chameleon but I can't stand when small performances are drawn out(AD900, HD598) nor when large performances are squished into a tiny sounding room(AD900, Grado, Pyco) And yes, the AD900 fits both categories in my experience. Too spacy with quieter performances and overwhelmed with busy music.

May 12, 2014 at 3:24 AM Post #348 of 903
I did the opposite, came to ciem world and left around the ear full sized cans. No regrets. I jumped to the high end ones directly and after a "long" research and discussion with many friendly users, I ordered SE5way. Couldn't be happier I guess. I don't have high end home system but I remember tupac was saying, SE5way, when connected to his desktop system, sounds better than many of his high end headphones. You might want to ask him about his opinion, he has LCD3 and all.

May 12, 2014 at 4:04 AM Post #349 of 903
I did go from full size (HD600) to CIEM for soundstage upgrade, but found even the best CIEMs can't do treble extension properly, so I have both CIEM and full size now and the HD800 manages to get a decent soundstage and trounces the UERM in treble extension. Despite how it may seem by the above, I still consider the UERM the 2nd best headphone I've owned overall, and in the top 5 I've ever heard. A high end CIEM can be really magical.

May 12, 2014 at 4:53 AM Post #350 of 903
Properly built SE5way treble can extend 20khz. I seen measurements of it and I think average joe and tupac were also hearing the extension too.

I am sorry I couldn't find the measurement now, so I can't attach it but if I happen to see it again, I will post it here.

May 12, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #351 of 903
To each their own I suppose.

UERM for comparison

I went from a decade with full sized open headphones to iems this winter and couldn't be happier.

May 12, 2014 at 8:07 AM Post #352 of 903
I found the graph after I searched a bit in my emails, however I am not allowed to share it with public by request so I can't make further comments I guess. However I would suggest to ones who have doubts on properly working SE5way to talk with average joe and tupac. If I remember correctly, in the last a few pages of aj's multi ciem reviews thread you can find their discussion and have an idea about what I am trying to say here with my non-native English.

Jun 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #353 of 903
Whoa. I've been noticing that I use SE846 way more than I use UERM. I feel like coloration is good. It fits my personal taste perfectly. Anyways, I still think UERM is technically superior on almost all aspects(besides bass). I just really really like Shure's sound sig.

Jun 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM Post #354 of 903
Is there anyone here that switched to IEMs from high-end fullsize for home use? I ask as I've been exclusively using open full sized headphones, and well.. I'm looking to expand my music collection into genres that aren't loud enough to drown out the noise from my family and the TV in the other room. As much as I like metal, I'm somewhat limited in my current situation except for listening very late at night which has become less of an option as life has gone on.

What should I expect moving from high end dynamic headphones to in-ears? Do the stereotypes of lacking dynamics/soundstaging apply to the high end? Or customs even? The closest thing to my Ultrasones that more people are likely to have heard would be the Beyerdynamics. I'd really be taking a gamble here as I would have to sell my ED12s to fund a flagship CIEM, so I want to know what I'd be getting into. Plus I'd have to buy an amplifier, running IEMs through a speaker amp would just be laughable and borderline insane.

Another reason I ask is because the power at our house isn't very good so I've been looking into switching to battery powered amplification for awhile now. What do people here use amp wise? Does anyone use their IEMs with desktop/larger amplifiers?

I've had limited experience with in-ears so far. I had a bad experience with the Ultrasone Pyco, and have heard a few low end in-ears(we're talking $15 here) that were ok but nothing more. Is it crazy to jump right to TOTL customs? Or will I just leave myself disappointed trying something lower end after I've been spoiled with a top full-size set of cans?

To summarize my preferences, similar to my ED12 setup: velvety, decent sized soundstage(could be larger,) realistic timbre(especially with drums/vocals,) not overly warm(smoothness>warmth) and scalability depending on the music. My vintage amps leave a strong character on the music so I don't need a full on chameleon but I can't stand when small performances are drawn out(AD900, HD598) nor when large performances are squished into a tiny sounding room(AD900, Grado, Pyco) And yes, the AD900 fits both categories in my experience. Too spacy with quieter performances and overwhelmed with busy music.

From your descriptions it seems we do share similar preferences. A couple more suggestions for you to look into:

Translucent 1plus2: biggest soundstage in any IEM, nice bass impact, very resolving, sparkling treble.

JH13pro freqphase: highly transparent, good fast and tight bass, smooth sound, good treble extension.

The SE5way is also highly regarded but unfortunately I haven't listened to it. UERM is also very nice and I had a very hard time choosing it vs the jh13 as I really like both.

Jun 3, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #355 of 903
From your descriptions it seems we do share similar preferences. A couple more suggestions for you to look into:

Translucent 1plus2: biggest soundstage in any IEM, nice bass impact, very resolving, sparkling treble.

JH13pro freqphase: highly transparent, good fast and tight bass, smooth sound, good treble extension.

The SE5way is also highly regarded but unfortunately I haven't listened to it. UERM is also very nice and I had a very hard time choosing it vs the jh13 as I really like both.

Want! But, can't  have. :frowning2:

You have all the ones I want kkcc, including the DAPs.  If I was baller like AJ, tupac, Mimouille, kkcc, I would in my collection have UERM, JH13FP, SE5way, Translucent 1P2, ref 1, Noble K10(not sure about this one), 1964V6, all the Fitear series.  My NT6 is on it's way, and guess what I will be getting a bunch of DAPs and a quality DAC to test it out.  It will be a DAC orgy and there will be lots of plugging ins and outs.  Let you know how this orgy turns out.  Unfortunately, the A&K and HM-901 won't be able to make it to this orgy.

I will be auditioning 1P2 this weekend, can't wait.  :)

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:44 PM Post #357 of 903
I don't have an amp in mind actually.  I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to current portable amps as I've been focusing on DAPs.  I have DX90 and 100 on the way with the X5.  Although I would like to get an AK120 or 240(I could not distinguish between the two), it's out of my budget.  I'll be also getting the Concero HP.  I will compare them all to see which one the NT6 favors and only one will survive.  

I was looking at Leckerton and Portaphile, but l've been reading, if you have a DX90, a Leckerton is not necessary as the DX90's internal amp is transparent. What do you think?  Do you have lots of experience with amps?  Do you think portable amps make a difference even for high quality DAPs?  NT6 shouldn't require much juice so I wouldn't think you need an amp on top of a quality DAP.

What amps do you think I should look into?  Wagnus is out of my budget.  

Jun 3, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #358 of 903
  I don't have an amp in mind actually.  I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to current portable amps as I've been focusing on DAPs.  I have DX90 and 100 on the way with the X5.  Although I would like to get an AK120 or 240(I could not distinguish between the two), it's out of my budget.  I'll be also getting the Concero HP.  I will compare them all to see which one the NT6 favors and only one will survive.  

I was looking at Leckerton and Portaphile, but l've been reading, if you have a DX90, a Leckerton is not necessary as the DX90's internal amp is transparent. What do you think?  Do you have lots of experience with amps?  Do you think portable amps make a difference even for high quality DAPs?  NT6 shouldn't require much juice so I wouldn't think you need an amp on top of a quality DAP.

What amps do you think I should look into?  Wagnus is out of my budget.  

In my experience with my NT6 Pro's, amp quality affects its performance the most, even more so than source quality. So I definitely recommend you invest in a decent amp for the NT6's to get the most out of them.

I had the VorzAmp Pure II for a short time, and really enjoyed it with my NT6 Pro's, so I would look into those. Never heard any of the portaphile amps though.

I also had the uha-6s mkii, but didn't think it was good enough to warrant stacking with a DAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back