High End Bluetooth Headphones
Oct 3, 2015 at 7:41 AM Post #826 of 894
  Ok, that's interesting to know ! I'll guess the AKG can work for me since I don't have big ears (I have actually an August E650, which fits absolutely perfectly). I'm gonna search for some other headphones in the same range of price with bigger earcups -- I'm surprised that the Parrot Zik is so tight, he looks so big. 
Thank you very much for your answer !

They use models with small heads for the videos. Are you able to try them out at all before you buy? Best way to tell if something will work. What sort of price range are you looking at?

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #827 of 894

They use models with small heads for the videos. Are you able to try them out at all before you buy? Best way to tell if something will work. What sort of price range are you looking at?

No, unfortunately I won't be able to try them. Thanks for your answer.

I was basically aiming for a 150 euros model (and the Sony MDR-10RBT, the AKG K845 and the Parrot Zik are all available to me at this price), but I may be able to pay 100 euros more if the headphone looks really good and that's a good deal.
I just basically finish to read all this thread and I have now a better idea of what I want. I'm gonna write them down because, who knows, it might help someone in the same situation than me in the future.

For a lot of reasons, I excluded from my list the Parrot Zik (too heavy, not so comfortable, not aptx codec, the need of EQ settings and the smartapp for some options, and not even that of a gread sound [even if the 2.0 versions seems a lot a better in this area]).
The AKG seems to have a really great sound, and two big earcups, but the hoop seems to be quite uncomfortable, and the quality of the material seems overall meh.
Then there is the Sony MDR-10RBT, who seems like a safe choice (comfortable from what I've read, very light, a good sound). But it's still, from Sony description, a supra-aural headphone. Now, I've read of lot of people saying that's in fact a circum-aural headphone -- you just need to have small ears.
So I'm not entirely conviced by the AKG K845 or the Sony MDR-10RBT.

Now, reading this tread, I've been obviously very interessted in the famous Sony MDR-1RBTMK2, which seems pretty much perfect. Comfortable, but with much bigger earcups than the 10RBT (and described by Sony like a real circum-aural), and an amazing sound even better than the AKG. I've seen that recently Sony have released the Sony MDR1 ABT, which seems basically like an improved MDR-1RBTMK2. I don't care about the new LDAC codec, since I only listen to 320kb MP3 (and that it seems that there's no LDAC dongle available in store right now), but since the MK2 and the ABT are available to me at the same price, I'm more interessted in the ABT (even if I'd like to know if there's a difference between the earcups of the two, especially in size !).

The Plantronics BlackBeat Pro and the Pendulumic Stance S1+ are also looking pretty cool, from what I've read in this thread anywamy. But the Plantronics is really heavy (even more than the Parrot Zik), and the price of the BlackBeat Pro is pretty high right now in my country (200 euros -- at this cost, I'd rather pay 50 euros more and buy the MDR1 ABT). Plus, even if look is not a big deal to me, I find it a little bit, well, ugly.

Right now, I'm split between the Sony MDR-10RBT and the MDR1 ABT. I don't know if the latter really deserve that I pay 100 euros more for it, giving the fact that I don't listen to FLAC. On the contrary, the SONY MDR-10RBT still costs 150 euros, which is not nothing, and the "not-really-circum/not-really-supra" is a problem. It's like a safe choice, but that's not even safe, and that still cost 150 euros. So I'm still wondering 
confused_face(1).gif
 (I like this old Messenger emoticons).

Oct 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #828 of 894
@Dieucocto You might want to have a look at this thread. Theres quite a bit more information and a fair few comparisons between lots of different headphones. Theres also a bit of discussion comparing the 1RBT and 1ABT. Not everyone preferred the newer model. Comfort wise unless your ears are really big you cannot go wrong with the 1RBT (not sure if the 1ABT differs regarding that sorry). They are among the most comfortable headphones around. The 10RBT aren't anywhere near as comfortable and the sound quality is a lot worse. You will definitely notice the difference in sound quality if you did a side by side comparison with 320kbps mp3 as well as FLAC. Build quality isn't the greatest on either though. If you are definitely deciding between the two you should get the 1RBT/1ABT if you can afford it. Much safer option and much less chance of something not being to the standard you want. But have a look at the other thread and see if there is anything else that might suit you better.

Oct 3, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #829 of 894
  @Dieucocto You might want to have a look at this thread. Theres quite a bit more information and a fair few comparisons between lots of different headphones. Theres also a bit of discussion comparing the 1RBT and 1ABT. Not everyone preferred the newer model. Comfort wise unless your ears are really big you cannot go wrong with the 1RBT (not sure if the 1ABT differs regarding that sorry). They are among the most comfortable headphones around. The 10RBT aren't anywhere near as comfortable and the sound quality is a lot worse. You will definitely notice the difference in sound quality if you did a side by side comparison with 320kbps mp3 as well as FLAC. Build quality isn't the greatest on either though. If you are definitely deciding between the two you should get the 1RBT/1ABT if you can afford it. Much safer option and much less chance of something not being to the standard you want. But have a look at the other thread and see if there is anything else that might suit you better.

Thank your for your answer. I looked at the other thread, but I haven't find any other headphones that I like. The Audio Technica ATH-WS99BT is known for being hard on the ear, the Philips Fidelio is supra-aural, the Sennheiser Momentum Wireless is really expensive right now (more than 400$) and the Logitech UE9000 is absolutely unavalaible in my country. So I think I'm gonna go with the Sony MDR 1ABT. I'll keep you updated, thanks !

Oct 12, 2015 at 2:46 PM Post #830 of 894
What do you think about using a semi-wireless/short-wired setup with regular headphones as a solution. That is, buying a transmitter like the Sony MDR-EX31BN or the Sony SBH50 and connecting to a set of regular phones like the Custom One Pro, Mad Dog Pro, or Oppo PM3. I mention those three because they are closed-back and use a standard 3.5mm jack to connect to the cans. Therefore, all you’d need to do is buy a 12 inch audio cable like this to connect to the transmitter, which you can then place in your shirt pocket or clip to your collar.

I’ve had a couple of bluetooth headphones stop working after a few years of use, so I think this would be a longer lasting solution. The transmitter can be replaced as the technology improves, while the cans should be good for a longer period of time.

Of course, you can use any set of headphones for this, but you’d have to modify the cable if you wanted it only 12 inches long. What other good quality headphones use a standard 3.5mm connection to the cans? How does this compare to what's mentioned in the thread?

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:01 PM Post #831 of 894
I have few questions

I have iphone 6 and Philips M2BT headphones

1) In this case, can I assume that by default the codec should be AAC? as both supports AAC codec

2) If it supports AAC, then if I play itunes music then it doesn't mean it has to transcode again right as it can transmit aac straight thru

Jan 15, 2016 at 5:46 PM Post #833 of 894
I purchased the Samsung Level Over (White) after trying out all the BT headphones below (returned), including $400 USD for the Sony MDR-1ABT, which I found to be overpriced.  I don't listen to "lossless" audio, mainly Spotify 320kbps, etc., so my opinions are within that context.

NOTE:  I was able to snag the Samsung Level Over (White) for $99 USD (new,factory sealed) and was told by the manager that they are being discontinued by the manufacturer.  If you go to Samsung's website, it doesn't even given you an option to buy the black version anymore.  So if interested, now is a good time to see what deals are out there for these cans.

What I purchased:
Samsung Level Over - Out of the box, quite flat sounding, but still good clarity, albeit a lack of bass.  At first, I was a bit disappointed, but after downloading the Samsung Level Android App, the cans shine and EQ very well and seamlessly.  Clearly, Samsung intends these to be used on Android powered devices (preferably their own) along with the App.  The 50mm drivers, after "burning-in", sound really nice at all frequencies.  In fact, I've heard nuances on the same songs & source I haven't heard before.  Their appearance is very "space-like", but the appearance kind of grew on me.  Very comfortable.

What I returned:
1) Sony MDR-1ABT – Overpriced. DSEE is a gimmick and distorts the upper frequencies, so this is not a good pick for listening to "lossy" audio. LDAC has limited use at this time, so you’re paying a premium for it. Sound is quite good, with excellent clarity and solid bass, but at $400, it's just not worth it. Build quality is not what you'd expect at this price point, while the ear pads annoyingly rotate and lack sufficient cushion. Build quality, in my opinion, leaves a lot to be desired.

2) Sony MDR-XB950BT (XTRA BASS) – Bass heavy, but a bit monotone. Seems to excel at mid-bass frequencies (around 100Hz), but lower, quality bass is a bit lacking, IMO. Needs to be EQd to an extreme extent, but still seems a bit veiled with a cramped soundstage.

3) Bose Soundlink AEW2 – Comfortable, but the sound was quite "digitized" for my taste.  Didn't seem to excel in any area, while the sound was just too heavily processed.  Like cheese in a can vs. real cheese.  Just skip the cheese in a can (Bose Soundlink AEW2) and stick with real cheese (something not Bose Soundlink AEW2).

4) Plantronics Backbeat Pro – Actually, a really nice set, albeit bulky & clunky looking. Sound is good at all frequencies, with an especially nice quality bass response. Soundstage & clarity is not as good as the Samsungs IMO, but the BASS is FUN, better than the XB950BTs, and probably the best I've ever heard over BT.  Overall, I liked the sound a lot, but ultimately, the less cumbersome and clearer-sounding Samsungs won out for my taste.

5) JBL Everest Elite 700 – Just don't.  Uncomfortable.  Overpriced.  Merely "OK" in every area.

Jan 21, 2016 at 8:33 PM Post #834 of 894
Any Pendulumic Stance S1+ fans who have moved on? What did you move to?

I had an issue with a bad charging cable that made me think the internal battery was bad, and Pendulumic responded by telling me that it wasn't covered under warranty, even though the phones were six months old and bought direct from them (at CanJam). That's ridiculously bad customer service; I can't support them any more. Suggestions?

Jan 21, 2016 at 10:07 PM Post #835 of 894
  Any Pendulumic Stance S1+ fans who have moved on? What did you move to?

I had an issue with a bad charging cable that made me think the internal battery was bad, and Pendulumic responded by telling me that it wasn't covered under warranty, even though the phones were six months old and bought direct from them (at CanJam). That's ridiculously bad customer service; I can't support them any more. Suggestions?

Were they speaking about the battery or the cable?
Can you write me in PM the name of who answered to you?

Batteries are indeed generally not covered under warranty, on any BT Headphone (and on almost any Electronic Device) or are covered by a much restricted kind of warranty.
Anyway 6 months is clearly not normal and should be clearly considered a fabrication defect.

You should say what you like in them, what you do not like, what you listen to, etc, so we can suggest something else...

Jan 23, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #836 of 894
Been out of it for a while, but here is a update on my Senn M2s.

First of all, I picked the Senn M2s, over the Def Tech, and Sony 1ABT..

To me, the sound is good. Before  you all jump on me for my description, I am not verse in using
all those tech terms to describe how they sound, I know they are daggone good to me. They are better than 
my Sony Mk2, and HK  BTs.

The update part is, I was informed that Sennheiser was replacing the early M2s, which had bt problems. I called, and was courteously sent a return label to return them and they will send me a new revised pair.
My Senn M2s were purchased in March 2015, so they weren't a year old.

They just sent me a tracking number and they will be here sometime next week.. The sound on my M2s was great, so I am hoping the newer ones will be just the same or better.

From what I hear, there are no new kids on the block for BT.. One more time, for the $499.99 I paid for my M2s, I was/am completely satisfied, and I am a CHEAPEE too.. :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #837 of 894
Been out of it for a while, but here is a update on my Senn M2s.

First of all, I picked the Senn M2s, over the Def Tech, and Sony 1ABT..
)

I have had my eye on them since they were introduced. I especially think that the ivory and brown version is Beautiful!

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #838 of 894
I have had my eye on them since they were introduced. I especially think that the ivory and brown version is Beautiful!

Well, you know all our ears are different, so what is good for one, might not be good for others. With that said, and me being a cheapee, paying $499.99 for the M2, I am fully satisfied. Even, the BT issue, wasn't all that critical to me. I noticed that it would happen around strong electrical interference, and I was okay with that. The main point was, they sounded better to me, than my much touted(by me) Sony MBT1RMKIIs.. With that said, I am and it seems like I will be a better happy camper with these newer revised cans..

Although I go wired a lot, I like the BT option and good sound from BT. I have almost all FLAC/HI RES audio files on my cell phone, so when I go BT, I want the aptx otpion to be in effect, that gives me a little more than without it. Plus, I like the audio commands of the M2 too.

All my headphones (3) are keepers. The HK, the Sony Mk2, and the M2.  I would even considered another BT pair of headphones, but they would have to be certified, and reviewed to be better than the M2s.. Is there an animal out there like that? :)

Jan 23, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #839 of 894
cehowardNote3 said:
.Is there an animal out there like that
didn't you say that you'd tried the 1abt? How were they?

Anyway, you two grandpas should visit the other thread, now that 1wiseman is there you three would be a memorable group.
The three muskgrandpas.

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #840 of 894
didn't you say that you'd tried the 1abt? How were they?

Anyway, you two grandpas should visit the other thread, now that 1wiseman is there you three would be a memorable group.
The three muskgrandpas.

Which is the "other thread?" "High End BT Headphones?"  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back