HiFiMan Susvara
May 6, 2024 at 11:47 PM Post #25,622 of 25,887
I have a susvara coming in for the first time and I will be pairing it with a Burson soloist 3x gt, I was thinking of just using the Himalaya r2r dac in my hifiman, is it advisable to get a better dac and what synergy would I be looking for? Preferably it will have a small desktop footprint.

May 7, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #25,623 of 25,887
Bliss is not the way to go if you don’t want the smoothed out upper and lower sound. Zahl and WA33 offer more dynamics, more clarity, and you get the extension in both ends. The DAC is also really important for this. Not sure what @smodtactical is using but Holo DAC, Bliss, and Susvara are all tuned similarly with that clean but smoothed out sound.
I would disagree. The Bliss has punch and is not overly smooth. It sounds great with Susvara and literally trades blows with my MK465. Granted mine is attached to my May DAC, but I have also used it directly from my Cayin N8 DAP. The Bliss is not what I would call a warm amp which allows it work well with warmer HPs as well like the ZMF Atruim Closed and OG Emoyrean in addition to the Susvara.

May 7, 2024 at 2:12 AM Post #25,625 of 25,887
I have a susvara coming in for the first time and I will be pairing it with a Burson soloist 3x gt, I was thinking of just using the Himalaya r2r dac in my hifiman, is it advisable to get a better dac and what synergy would I be looking for? Preferably it will have a small desktop footprint.

The hugo tt2 + mscaler stack is a good option to consider. It’s an excellent dac from chord

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 2:26 AM Post #25,626 of 25,887
I would disagree. The Bliss has punch and is not overly smooth. It sounds great with Susvara and literally trades blows with my MK465. Granted mine is attached to my May DAC, but I have also used it directly from my Cayin N8 DAP. The Bliss is not what I would call a warm amp which allows it work well with warmer HPs as well like the ZMF Atruim Closed and OG Emoyrean in addition to the Susvara.
I've owned Bliss KTE and WA33 side-by-side and did A-B comparisons both with Spring 3 KTE and May KTE as the DAC's. I didn't say it doesn't sound great with the Susvara, I think it synergizes extremely well. I agree it drives the Susvara plenty well with great note weight. I also agree its not a warm amp, its neutral but slightly warmer than others. That isn't what I'm pointing out, its simply a response to the poster who asked how to avoid the Susvara sounding too smooth, which I know it can sound like with certain setups. Its simply the tuning of the Bliss that is made to match the Susvara and Holo DAC's which are more smooth and less dynamic than say a WA33. Its the same difference as a Holo May vs. Wavedream or DAVE.

Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #25,627 of 25,887
I've owned Bliss KTE and WA33 side-by-side and did A-B comparisons both with Spring 3 KTE and May KTE as the DAC's. I didn't say it doesn't sound great with the Susvara, I think it synergizes extremely well. I agree it drives the Susvara plenty well with great note weight. I also agree its not a warm amp, its neutral but slightly warmer than others. That isn't what I'm pointing out, its simply a response to the poster who asked how to avoid the Susvara sounding too smooth, which I know it can sound like with certain setups. Its simply the tuning of the Bliss that is made to match the Susvara and Holo DAC's which are more smooth and less dynamic than say a WA33. Its the same difference as a Holo May vs. Wavedream or DAVE.
I understand that. My point was I do not consider the Bliss to be an overly smooth amplifier. It was made to compliment the smoothness of the May DAC ( not that the May DAC is overly smooth or lacking in detail ). It also is allot less expensive than the WA33, especially if you option it out. In any event I do consider it an option, but you do not. We may simply have different ideas about what we would call a smooth sound. No issue there.

May 7, 2024 at 3:26 AM Post #25,628 of 25,887
I understand that. My point was I do not consider the Bliss to be an overly smooth amplifier. It was made to compliment the smoothness of the May DAC ( not that the May DAC is overly smooth or lacking in detail ). It also is allot less expensive than the WA33, especially if you option it out. In any event I do consider it an option, but you do not. We may simply have different ideas about what we would call a smooth sound. No issue there.
Funny thing is I just watched the ConvinceMeAudio's re-review of Susvara and he happens to mention how he considers the Mass Kobo 465, Amp&Sound Red October, on the warmer side vs. Zahl HM1, WA33, and AIC-10 as more reference sounding.

May 7, 2024 at 7:18 AM Post #25,629 of 25,887
Wow.......trades blows with your KOBO? Love to hear more about that. Id have a Lina stack and looking at the Lina AMP vs others that best support Susvara's capabilities

May 7, 2024 at 7:34 AM Post #25,630 of 25,887
There’s a reason Lina is not on sus list

May 7, 2024 at 9:45 AM Post #25,633 of 25,887
When I lean my head to the left. I can hear Squeaky sound on the metal part on the Susvara. Is this a cause for concern?
Lube the turning mechanism.

May 7, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #25,635 of 25,887

Users who are viewing this thread

Back