HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 20, 2024 at 12:59 PM Post #24,617 of 25,603
The Envy has so much power I haven't pushed the volume knob past 9 o'clock. The dynamics and bass slam are jaw dropping. Songs go from quiet to very loud quickly.

Mar 20, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #24,618 of 25,603
The Envy has so much power I haven't pushed the volume knob past 9 o'clock. The dynamics and bass slam are jaw dropping. Songs go from quiet to very loud quickly.
Just curious- has anyone following this thread used tested pre-amp functions of the Envy? Mostly thinking here of active speakers (it would seem OOT to feed its signal into a power amp, but someone may have tried that as well).

Mar 20, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #24,619 of 25,603
yes the envy puts out an incredible amount of gain...what I have done is keep the envy at 12 o clock on the volume know and control the volume with my cord dave which works pretty well

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #24,620 of 25,603
Holy smokes, Susvara has been released for 7 years and still super expensive. Hopefully, it'll drop to more affordable price like $2k before the end of this decade.
Before I had the Susvara, I had an LCD-4 that, with EQ, can trade blows (especially if you are a basshead). I haven't tried the Utopia, but $2k should get you an LCD-4.

Without EQ, do not touch it. Anyone who enjoys that headphone without EQ is one of three people:
1) A liar trying to justify their purchase to themselves
2) An anti-EQ "purist" whose beliefs change what they hear
3) Someone who can't figure out EQ

With EQ, holy smokes.

Mar 20, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #24,622 of 25,603
Speak for yourself, fool.
Thanks.
The LCD-4 is awesome without any EQ.
There is no better dark laid-back headphone.
Purist then, are we?

A 1.5kHz honky hump, -10db 4kHz chasm, and 10kHz spike is not laid back.

I'd take an Aeolus over a stock LCD-4, having owned both at the same time. At least the Aeolus' 4kHz chasm was only half the depth, and there was no 10kHz spike to further ruin percussion beyond that. Oh yes, and pad rolling.

It's a shame, because with EQ, it's absolutely breathtaking.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 3:59 PM Post #24,623 of 25,603
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:04 PM Post #24,624 of 25,603
Before I had the Susvara, I had an LCD-4 that, with EQ, can trade blows (especially if you are a basshead). I haven't tried the Utopia, but $2k should get you an LCD-4.

Without EQ, do not touch it. Anyone who enjoys that headphone without EQ is one of three people:

With EQ, holy smokes.
I had similar experience with my HEKon MJ3 amp. Then I realized that the MJ3 was not bringing out the best for the Sus. Got the Mentor Flux and definitely, the Sus is better. The differences are much more noticeable even with EQ. In your case, I think your source gears maybe lacking for the Susvara.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #24,625 of 25,603
Almost completely fixed with fresh pads.

Still better than the Elite. And yes, that is dark and very laid-back. I enjoy it a lot when i want something relaxing.

Not for you. I am immune to it, or my unit doesn't have it, dunno...
I am telling ya, man. EQ it! It will blow your mind!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nm18lctf4xwh7cg/Audeze LCD-4.pdf?dl=0

And I don't even like the Harman curve! Especially since Amir's Survara review nonsense!

I had similar experience with my HEKon MJ3 amp. Then I realized that the MJ3 was not bringing out the best for the Sus. Got the Mentor Flux and definitely, the Sus is better. The differences are much more noticeable even with EQ. In your case, I think your source gears maybe lacking for the Susvara.
I was referring to the LCD-4 here. I much prefer the Susvara un-EQ'd. Yes, even to the same target, tuned by the same dude. Weird, eh?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #24,626 of 25,603

With EQ, holy smokes.
many people enjoyed the lcd-4 without EQ and no it doesnt equal the susvara with EQ...at least to my ears..it appears we have found another person who insists on telling people what is factual based on his opinion alone

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #24,627 of 25,603
many people enjoyed the lcd-4 without EQ and no it doesnt equal the susvara with EQ...at least to my ears..it appears we have found another person who insists on telling people what is factual based on his opinion alone
Find the word "equals" in my post. In fact, find me a word that starts with "e" other than "EQ". If buddy is waiting for the Susvara to fall to $2k, he should get the LCD-4 at $2k, EQ it, and enjoy possibly one of the best setups you an get at the price.

I also said that anyone who enjoys that headphone without EQ is one of three people. I did not say those people do not exist. If they did not exist, I would not have listed them.

The stock tuning of the LCD-4 is its own worst enemy. People too cool to EQ are its second worst.

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #24,628 of 25,603

With EQ, holy smok

Find the word "equals" in my post. In fact, find me a word that starts with "e" other than "EQ". If buddy is waiting for the Susvara to fall to $2k, he should get the LCD-4 at $2k, EQ it, and enjoy possibly one of the best setups you an get at the price.

I also said that anyone who enjoys that headphone without EQ is one of three people. I did not say those people do not exist. If they did not exist, I would not have listed them.

The stock tuning of the LCD-4 is its own worst enemy. People too cool to EQ are its second worst.
You’re funny

Mar 20, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #24,629 of 25,603
It's the Roger's hs-90a. Bought it in Tokyo from the designer himself. He runs a store called "soundbase". The timbre and tone is TOTL. It's a hidden gem thats vastly unknown on head-fi. Can possibly find it online somewhere.
Let's buy one. It reminds me of the design from SASH.

Mar 20, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #24,630 of 25,603
Let's buy one. It reminds me of the design from SASH.
Do it , you won't regret it. I think it's still on sale for under $900usd. By accident, I went into this Tokyo audio shop and was introduced by the shop owner to the hs-90a. Earlier that same day I took a listen to the Yamaha yh5000se at a nearby headphone store and was super displeased with their sound quality. Note the hs-90a comes with detachable wooden ear cups. It sounds better with them off as I don't think the headphones were designed to be closed. Shop owner told me the stock dual 3.5mm aren't good and to use aftermarket ones instead. Think about acuhorn or abbas dacs in how good they are at rendering instruments so real and natural , the hs-90a does something similar to that effect.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back