HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #23,416 of 25,574
interestingly I find I like the diana TC with the ported pads as much as the 1266 because for me it is better balanced and obviously more comfortable and easy to wear...the bass is solid and the detail and imagining are pretty much on par..the sound stage isnt as good..sometimes I found the bass on the 1266 to be boomy and overwhelming

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:22 PM Post #23,417 of 25,574
interestingly I find I like the diana TC with the ported pads as much as the 1266 because for me it is better balanced and obviously more comfortable and easy to wear...the bass is solid and the detail and imagining are pretty much on par..the sound stage isnt as good
I haven't heard the ported version, but the regular version wasn't for me. I'd imagine the ported version gives more bass, which is what I wanted from the stock version. I even heard the closed back version, and spoiler alert, I wasn't happy. I guess a ported version of the closed backs makes no sense, but I still wonder :thinking:

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:32 PM Post #23,419 of 25,574
5 things that helped me to get more bass/solidity/punch:

- Dekoni fenstrated sheepskin pads
- Arctic Cables Aperion v thick copper cable
- Dukei CFA3
- Supratek 300b preamp (with Audio Note tubes)
- Running the EC 512 DSD filters in HQ Player

All 5 steps helped quite a bit. The best value option was the pads. Next best value the Aperion cable (which was cheap as chips and replaced a much more expensive palladium plated silver cable)

Most surprising change was the 300b tube pre. Why does that improve bass??

YMMV and it’s all about taste/seasoning to flavour but I’m very happy at the moment.

Next stop some Elrog TM’s when they are back in stock…

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:34 PM Post #23,420 of 25,574
Most surprising change was the 300b tube pre. Why does that improve bass??

Voltage swings. Amsp love the extra drive of a preamp

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #23,422 of 25,574
I got my Danacables Nirvana cables today. They are hefty, but beautiful. Now onto listening :L3000:

congra! i have mine too, this much better than stock in term of bass weight and sense of depth, i hear soundstage is grand open than stock which no longer used when i got the vykari classic then sold it for nirvana. it definetely a step up from stock cable. Downside is way heavy, i did need time to get used to

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 10:48 PM Post #23,423 of 25,574
I haven't heard the ported version, but the regular version wasn't for me. I'd imagine the ported version gives more bass, which is what I wanted from the stock version. I even heard the closed back version, and spoiler alert, I wasn't happy. I guess a ported version of the closed backs makes no sense, but I still wonder :thinking:
you like the overwhelming bass, I get it...for me it is too much it overwhelms everything....

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:53 PM Post #23,424 of 25,574
you like the overwhelming bass, I get it...for me it is too much it overwhelms everything....
There's a fine line, I agree. But for my genres, I need that bass. 🤷‍♂️

Jan 12, 2024 at 10:54 PM Post #23,425 of 25,574
I can only dream of how Susvara will sound off of Justin's reference system consisting of Arch Mono, Yellowstone Preamp, Nautilus Rev 2 and dCS Rossini Apex. North of 100K worth of gear as well

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:17 PM Post #23,426 of 25,574
I can only dream of how Susvara will sound off of Justin's reference system consisting of Arch Mono, Yellowstone Preamp, Nautilus Rev 2 and dCS Rossini Apex. North of 100K worth of gear as well

I gotta $85K system, but I need a new dac (it's my weakest link). The Sus can definitely compete with the HE-1 at this level, as it should.

Jan 12, 2024 at 11:23 PM Post #23,427 of 25,574
I gotta $85K system, but I need a new dac (it's my weakest link). The Sus can definitely compete with the HE-1 at this level, as it should.

DAVE's pretty slammy already especially with M-Scaler. Dunno what other DACs you have in mind, but adding a beefy preamp like the Boulder 2110 can get your Susvara have that grip and control to get it to even make HE-1 sound mid-fi.

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #23,429 of 25,574
'make he-1 sound mid-fi' *shakes head*
Who said that? Yeah, the HE-1 is definitely not mid-fi. It's a really good system. I'm contemplating buying one, but the rational part of my brain is like "stop that. " :beyersmile:

Jan 13, 2024 at 12:09 AM Post #23,430 of 25,574
Who said that? Yeah, the HE-1 is definitely not mid-fi. It's a really good system. I'm contemplating buying one, but the rational part of my brain is like "stop that. " :beyersmile:

I meant HE-1 sounds mid-fi relative the Susvara on an overkill chain. HE-1 needs some great upstream DACs to compensate for its small soundstage which is my main gripe with it. Everything else is definitely superior than Susvara on a budget chain.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back