HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 13, 2024 at 12:20 PM Post #23,446 of 25,686
So, I've been using my Nirvana cables with the Sus these past few hours, and I gotta say, I love them. The bass really is better with this cable, and I'm kinda surprised by that. The cable is expensive, but so far it's been worth it :L3000:

Jan 13, 2024 at 1:36 PM Post #23,447 of 25,686
Riviera A1C-10 vs Enleum 23r?
Looking for an endgame headphone amp that does it all. It needs to have plenty of slam and bring out the sub bass in Susvara. I dont want ro use the speaker output (i read that headphone output on a1c is subpar compared to enleum?)

Riviera is double the price but a used one is manageable. It really need to be worth it tho.

One more thing to consider is how well it works with other headphones.
MSB HEADAMP PREMIER. When you are up there in price. It beats Enleum 23R to my liking. I have not tried the Riv

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #23,448 of 25,686
I am, but I'm also a treble head. I don't care about mids as much, which is why I like the 1266 TCs so much. With this Nirvana cable, I'm getting HE-1 vibes. Maybe the CFA3 with a tube pre really is the answer. The Sus is really a good pair of headphones. I heard the Sus off a $100K setup at a friend's house, and it sounded really good. My sh!t right now is reminding me of that.
Yes, a tube pre-amp with a solid state power amp or a hybrid integrated amp of the same format is the way to go for me (to my ears having experienced two hybrid integrated amps vs a solid state separate pre and power amp) for the Susvara (and most probably the 1266 TC as well).

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #23,449 of 25,686
Riviera A1C-10 vs Enleum 23r?
Looking for an endgame headphone amp that does it all. It needs to have plenty of slam and bring out the sub bass in Susvara. I dont want ro use the speaker output (i read that headphone output on a1c is subpar compared to enleum?)

Riviera is double the price but a used one is manageable. It really need to be worth it tho.

One more thing to consider is how well it works with other headphones.
Hifiman EF1000 (and a great speaker amp too to boot !)

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #23,450 of 25,686
MSB HEADAMP PREMIER. When you are up there in price. It beats Enleum 23R to my liking. I have not tried the Riv
This one requires an MSB DAC as well to control the volume, no?

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #23,451 of 25,686
Hifiman EF1000 (and a great speaker amp too to boot !)
Aries Cerat Genus (also an integrated headphone & speaker amp) and Trafomatic Primavera should also be on the short list if a Rivieria AIC-10 Amp is being considered.

Jan 13, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #23,452 of 25,686
This one requires an MSB DAC as well to control the volume, no?
It requires a DAC with volume control yes. SE is weak but balanced/xlr is plenty of power imo.

If I had a richer lifestyle I would get their combo with dual psu for the DAC.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #23,454 of 25,686

Note that the left channel is not completely flush. And that results in the sound not coming through at all, unless I grab the connector and gently pull it inwards. the cable connectors are completely straight and not bent. I've tried with 4 different cables, all with the same result.
My brand new susvara also doesn’t go all the way in on the left side. It works so I didn’t think about it when I connected it the first time, but it’s kind of annoying and I’m afraid it will suddenly stop playing on L side. Did you get a new one, and is it flush on both sides now?

(I did have a new he1000se with the exact same thing also earlier, with even more mm sticking out, it was also working fine)

Attachments

• IMG_0462.jpeg
    IMG_0462.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:05 PM Post #23,455 of 25,686
My brand new susvara also doesn’t go all the way in on the left side. It works so I didn’t think about it when I connected it the first time, but it’s kind of annoying and I’m afraid it will suddenly stop playing on L side. Did you get a new one, and is it flush on both sides now?

(I did have a new he1000se with the exact same thing also earlier, with even more mm sticking out, it was also working fine)
My brand new HE1000 Stealth also had that. Must be a new configuration in manufacturing since they made the new models nano and organic.

Jan 13, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #23,456 of 25,686
Thanks. Would you say that riviera out of headphone output sounds worse than Enleum?
You will be happy with both. Enleum is awesome in its price class and sounds really special with Susvara and with various speakers. Riviera is a noticeable upgrade, especially regarding soundstage and layering (sound is less compact and less mids focused). I upgraded from Enleum to Riviera last year (with the old price).

To be completely honest, I only reached end game status with my Riviera after upgrading the tube, running Sus off its speaker taps and most importantly upgrading my power cables and power distributor. Before those upgrades, I was often wondering if the x2 price jump had really really been worth it. But now I am constantly blown away by my optimized setup. And the Riviera will never leave.

The headphone output of Riviera is great. However, Susvara just sounds better (tighter and more bass) off its speaker taps. With Abyss 1266tc, Meze Elite and Caldera, I prefer the headphone output of Riviera. So its more a question of synergy.

IMHO if you want a Susvara, you should be willing to invest in at least an Envy or Enleum. After that you're jumping to Primavera, Riviera or Mass Kobo at 2-3x the price.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #23,457 of 25,686
So, I've been using my Nirvana cables with the Sus these past few hours, and I gotta say, I love them. The bass really is better with this cable, and I'm kinda surprised by that. The cable is expensive, but so far it's been worth it :L3000:

I own the Nirvana after my wonderful experience with the Lazuli Reference for Utopia. I think the cable has good sonic properties. But, I could not handle the ergonomics of the cable. It is very stiff and heavy. If I turn my head too fast the cable pulls out of the headphone. So, it remains in a box unused.

My favorite cable by far for Susvara is the DHC Chimera. It's ergonomics are much better even though it is a thick cable and I think it sounds a lot better too. Really enhances the bass in a very good way providing a good foundation for any music. Chimera + A1C + Susvara is my favorite set up. I liked it more than the HE-1 which I heard immediately before it. So, I have direct a/b comparison of the set ups.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #23,459 of 25,686
I think the comparisons of the Sus off a good chain with the HE-1 are fair. I heard a very good Sus setup right after hearing the HE-1, and I think my setup is very good too. I need to hear the HE-1 more, but the Sus does many of the things the HE-1 does well.

Jan 13, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #23,460 of 25,686
Zähl hm
How does it compare to enleum and riviera?
It's is way way more neutral sounding and is comparable to Enleum in technicalities but ime a step behind AIC. It of course destroys both on features and it's an excellent preamp as well.
I would pick HM1 over Enleum but AIC over both personally.
The HM1, to really be enjoyable for me, would require a tube preamp.
I sold both HM1 and AIC in the last few weeks and Enleum many months ago.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back