HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 13, 2024 at 5:59 PM Post #23,461 of 25,898
I think the comparisons of the Sus off a good chain with the HE-1 are fair. I heard a very good Sus setup right after hearing the HE-1, and I think my setup is very good too. I need to hear the HE-1 more, but the Sus does many of the things the HE-1 does well.

Hawlo.

I believe many synergies can overtake HE1. I have experienced a couple and others have too. Too many variables at play to rely on a one size fits all approach. Not many have the exact same setups to derive anything useful from assumptions of another system and preference.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #23,462 of 25,898

Great song, for the mid transients

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:02 PM Post #23,463 of 25,898
It's is way way more neutral sounding and is comparable to Enleum in technicalities but ime a step behind AIC. It of course destroys both on features and it's an excellent preamp as well.
I would pick HM1 over Enleum but AIC over both personally.
The HM1, to really be enjoyable for me, would require a tube preamp.
I sold both HM1 and AIC in the last few weeks and Enleum many months ago.
I once listened to Mass Kobo 465 with Susvara. I can't give a review because the DAC was poor, but the sound was natural. Unless I get a chance to try some promising amps, I'm going straight to the tube (Envy) route, but I'm still curious about the HM1. You described Mass Kobo 465 as realism and HM1 as neutral. How can you compare Mass Kobo 465 and HM1? Please give us a tip.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #23,464 of 25,898
I once listened to Mass Kobo 465 with Susvara. I can't give a review because the DAC was poor, but the sound was natural. Unless I get a chance to try some promising amps, I'm going straight to the tube (Envy) route, but I'm still curious about the HM1. You described Mass Kobo 465 as realism and HM1 as neutral. Could you give me some hints as I have never listened to HM1?
Neutral means it's neither warm or bright and fairly balanced with no extra coloration.
I would say that 465 is similar in it's tonality but adds a bit more analog feeling to it that's hard for me to describe.
As for natural or realism - that is when timbre of instruments or how voices sound. Closing your eyes and imagining what you're hearing is physically around you in the room consists of that with the addition of top of the line staging imaging and details. The cherry on top is low level details - being able to understand better through what you're hearing the room/stage/studio or wherever it was recorded... The microphones, the reflections of sound in the recording and other microdetails. I've never heard an amp do better than 465 as a whole.

HM1 is good at all of that but not at the same level. For me it's an amp that you buy because of everything it can do and the price and size it offers it at. It's very clearly a studio tool and an awesome one at that.

As for the Envy - I only heard it at show conditions and with stock tubes but I wasn't impressed. I'd pick a WA23 at that MSRP category personally. Both will be crazy expensive to roll to their best options which is an awesome benefit of the single tube in AIC and even better with a solid state always on amp like 465.

Hope that helps.

Jan 13, 2024 at 9:00 PM Post #23,465 of 25,898
Thank you for your reply!
Neutral means it's neither warm or bright and fairly balanced with no extra coloration.
I would say that 465 is similar in it's tonality but adds a bit more analog feeling to it that's hard for me to describe.
As for natural or realism - that is when timbre of instruments or how voices sound. Closing your eyes and imagining what you're hearing is physically around you in the room consists of that with the addition of top of the line staging imaging and details. The cherry on top is low level details - being able to understand better through what you're hearing the room/stage/studio or wherever it was recorded... The microphones, the reflections of sound in the recording and other microdetails. I've never heard an amp do better than 465 as a whole.
You mean "the texture" of the 465. I hear that analog feel is an area that Mass Kobo cares very much about.
HM1 is good at all of that but not at the same level. For me it's an amp that you buy because of everything it can do and the price and size it offers it at. It's very clearly a studio tool and an awesome one at that.
I’ll keep it in mind that HM1 is a studio tool.

As for tube amps, I thought it was necessary to attend CanJam Shanghai and listen to them. Thank you.

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:22 AM Post #23,466 of 25,898
So, I've been using my Nirvana cables with the Sus these past few hours, and I gotta say, I love them. The bass really is better with this cable, and I'm kinda surprised by that. The cable is expensive, but so far it's been worth it :L3000:
I've only tried with WyWires platinum and cardas clear, but been wondering what more I can squeeze out of it with better cables.

Jan 14, 2024 at 8:45 AM Post #23,468 of 25,898
If the Enelum sounds similar to the Bakoon, which I would think would be the case as it's basically the same circuit and topology (correct?), it wouldn't be my choice for the Susvara. I personally was thoroughly unimpressed by the Bakoon. It smooths over detail and just doesn't stand out performance wise against similar amps imo. Anyways, always try to demo as many of the amps your interested in as possible.

Jan 14, 2024 at 2:59 PM Post #23,469 of 25,898
Hawlo.

I believe many synergies can overtake HE1. I have experienced a couple and others have too. Too many variables at play to rely on a one size fits all approach. Not many have the exact same setups to derive anything useful from assumptions of another system and preference.
Agreed!
The game is to overtake the HE-1 for less than 6K including the Susvara in the price (we all know a brand new, not used Susvara can be had anytime for 40% off at least) so you have 40% of 6K remaining for a DAC and amp and this system will overtake the HE-1 :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #23,470 of 25,898
Agreed!
The game is to overtake the HE-1 for less than 6K including the Susvara in the price (we all know a brand new, not used Susvara can be had anytime for 40% off at least) so you have 40% of 6K remaining for a DAC and amp and this system will overtake the HE-1 :)
I have yet to hear the HE1 hehe

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #23,471 of 25,898
I have yet to hear the HE1 hehe

It sounds similar to Susvara on an excellent chain with a little bit of tonal differences across the frequencies. Imaging and soundstage is more akin to a Focal Utopia rather than Susvara

Jan 14, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #23,472 of 25,898
It sounds similar to Susvara on an excellent chain with a little bit of tonal differences across the frequencies. Imaging and soundstage is more akin to a Focal Utopia rather than Susvara

I made some recent changes to my system, which has blown my mind what the susvara can be.

WA33 Standard -> WA33 Elite JPS
KR 274B Tube -> WE 274B Tube

Would this be close to the HE1?

Jan 14, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #23,473 of 25,898
You'd have to hear the HE-1. If Susvara sounds unrestrained (with ZERO sensation of feeling restrained) and now increase the presence akin to a Warwick Acoustic Aperio, you're pretty much side-grading the HE-1

Jan 14, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #23,474 of 25,898
I made some recent changes to my system, which has blown my mind what the susvara can be.

WA33 Standard -> WA33 Elite JPS
KR 274B Tube -> WE 274B Tube

Would this be close to the HE1?
I can confirm that you can get HE-1 sound with the WA33 EE JPS. I use Taks, not WE though. THe HE-1 is not as laid back as the Sus, but you can get close. You can also get HE-1 sound with the CFA3 with a tube pre.

I really need to hear the HE-1 again, right next to my TCs and Sus. I heard the HE-1 and then the Sus soon after. A properly chained Sus equals it.

Jan 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #23,475 of 25,898
THe HE-1 is not as laid back as the Sus, but you can get close.

Close to losing the laid back nature of the sus ?_? But that's what I love about it 0_o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back