HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 6, 2024 at 10:56 AM Post #23,267 of 25,601
Interestingg, this is what I got which also looks a slightly different from the version I saw posted last October here. They must have changed the book as well since it also reflects the current cable I got.

Also the first photo is the adapter I am using to try and plug this into a speaker amp and I'm finding a serious channel imbalance. The right side of my headphone is veryyy low volume when using the adapter into the speaker amp D': Either this is not the correct way to plug the Sus into a speaker amp or their is an issue with the cable.

Attachments

• IMG_3332.jpeg
    IMG_3332.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3333.jpeg
    IMG_3333.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    490.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    459.4 KB · Views: 0
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #23,269 of 25,601
Here's a bit of a different answer. After years of finetuning my system, here's where I've put my money (in descending order of value):
- amp
- power distributor and power cables
- dac
- clock
- headphones
- bnc clock cables.
- xlr interconnects.
- hdphns cable.
- tubes.
- ethernet cable.

I am fully aware that more expensive is not always better. This is just the current value distribution between my gear.

There was also some strategy involved. For example:
- My dac+clock sound superb, so I wanted a neutral xlr that just gets out of the way. Nothing too crazy.
- I want my music to sound as natural and analog as possible. Upgrading my power distributor, power cables and clock cables have relaxed the sound to a point where I can listen fatigue-free for hours. Probably the biggest surprise of my audio journey.
- Ethernet cables are a rabbit hole I've avoided, thanks to the friendly guys at dCS Audio. Apparently, the Lina dac solves most issues internally.
- I'm still sceptical about the additional benefit of high-end headphone cables in my already high-end system. I'll be receiving a dhc chimera with banana plugs next month. Not expecting my jaw to drop, but still very curious.

Next upgrade: Susvara 2.
As someone who lives in an older condo building in the city, having a good power conditioner (which came with good power cables) made similar improvements to my listening experience. It was a good few auditions before purchasing, from the shop and also a friend’s house. I think it’s a good investment as it does benefit any new component and quite future proof. (I use Shunyata Hydra and shunyata cables in my main desk rig, and Plixir in my living room vinyl rig).

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:53 PM Post #23,270 of 25,601
the black cable ships with the newer batches - maybe 4-6 months ago.
Still using 4-pin stock catheter cable (less bothersome to me since I am in fact a physician so I feel right at home with it). Cp to Hart similar cable (Mogami copper used there though) I found this one better in terms of dynamics and air up top (slightly). I’ve been working on other aspects of my chain for Susv’s-
A) speaker amp -> currently using Burson 3xGt 2023 with SP02 power modules, as a SS headphone amp it is great (pls don’t bring up the fan, I’m good with it and don’t plan to sell it anytime soon), hope it will also be a good pre-amp -> speaker amp. Current plan is to add AHB2 b/c it is so transparent and sound shape in the pre-amp domain.
B) DAC- Yggdrasil OG, happy with this, reading about the new MIB chip which probably has better blackground but less air/plankton. Probably will stick with the OG
C) Tube pre-amp- area of greatest research. Most on this thread have suggested getting the best I can afford. Feliks Envy or WA-33 would be great but I don’t have space (or cash) for them, Freya+ with best possible tubes has been suggested by @paradoxper, good 6SN7 tubes are getting expensive and hard to find (hence Schiits promotion of their Lisst modules).
D) Power- I stream Roon at home using Sonore Optical Rendu with all parts of it fed by LPSs, and the best power cables I could get (Isotek EVO Premiers), run off a dedicated line on which there are no other appliances, Audiosensibilty silver USB cables into the DAC, a Furotech NCF Clearline in my low noise ‘power strip’ and a 5A supercharger into the Burson. I think I am covered for power /electrical noise.
Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 3:36 PM Post #23,271 of 25,601
Great setup there! I don’t really see any weakness in your chain. They’re well balanced indeed! Since you have the Freya, a speaker amp would be the best upgrade to go coming from the Burson

Jan 6, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #23,272 of 25,601
I think that burn-in and cable changes can 100% affect the sound. I heard a clear cable difference once, and it wasn't even close (OG Utopia stock cable was utterly garbage and made the upper midrange extremely forward, with a Forza cable voices took half a step back, not much, but enough to enjoy that headphone). That was the exception to the rule though.
The fact if you can hear that difference is something else. You can check out a few videos about comparisons and the physical science behind it, aswell as the psychological effect, it's rather fascinating.
In one of his videos he talks about looking at a picture that hides a lion in a rocky landscape. If you just look at the picture for 5 seconds, you won't notice the lion because he blends in so much. That does not change the fact that the lion is there. Once you saw that lion, you cannot unsee it anymore. Would you notice it ever in that first look? Most likely not.
Audio is extremely hard to judge, even if we humans have the very best thing that exists to do that - our ears. There are so many factors that play a role in listening, and while i think there are audible differences in cables, i also think that these differences are even a level below DAC swapping. Like: 90% headphone, 9% amp, 0.9% DAC, 0.09% cable, etc...
It will probably make more of a difference if you are tired or well rested, or if you have had a bad day or not. All these things can change the perception of sound.

For me personally: As long as i have good and nice cables (Forza Hybrid HPC, that price region), i (my brain) can most likely exclude any harmful effect. That's enough for me. Also i like nice ergonomics...
no question I hear music differently at different times depending on mood or time of day...nighttime is for me much more pleasant I seem to be far more receptive...in addition some people have better hearing than other people, some are older etc..it is all very variable and I think one good reason why some people hear things others dont or even simply register them

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #23,273 of 25,601
Great setup there! I don’t really see any weakness in your chain. They’re well balanced indeed! Since you have the Freya, a speaker amp would be the best upgrade to go coming from the Burson
Freya+ is just at stage of contemplation. But thanks this encourages me to take the step - I just hope I can find good upgrade tubes eg the RCA VT-231 and Melz 1578 tubes seem to be unobtainium.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #23,274 of 25,601
Freya+ is just at stage of contemplation. But thanks this encourages me to take the step - I just hope I can find good upgrade tubes eg the RCA VT-231 and Melz 1578 tubes seem to be unobtainium.

You can certainly get a 5692 pair on the input and stick a pair 6H8C on the gain stage and get great results for a fraction IMHO. The 5692s will provide the warmth, harmonics and imaging while the 6H8C won't impart its own signature and just provide the gain needed

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:56 PM Post #23,275 of 25,601
BTW, you can also try switching the 6H8C and 5692 so that the input is 6H8C and the gain is 5692. It can also sound better that way more than the other

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:58 PM Post #23,276 of 25,601
BTW, you can also try switching the 6H8C and 5692 so that the input is 6H8C and the gain is 5692. It can also sound better that way more than the other
Thanks this is great. Freya provides lots of room to experiment and there are lots of experienced Head-fires to advise. It will be fun.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #23,277 of 25,601
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #23,278 of 25,601
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:35 PM Post #23,279 of 25,601
https://shenzhenaudio.com/collections/gustard/products/gustard-h26-class-a-headphone-amplifier

As someone who loves the price-performance of the R26 DAC, I look forward to trying out this new toy for the Susvara.

1704585861808.jpeg
Looks pretty high performance and potentially quite interesting. The only thing that jumped out at me in the specs was the atypically low impedance at the inputs. It won't be an issue for the vast majority of DACs and other sources (with output impedances less than ~600 ohms), but something to be mindful of.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #23,280 of 25,601
Looks pretty high performance and potentially quite interesting. The only thing that jumped out at me in the specs was the atypically low impedance at the inputs. It won't be an issue for the vast majority of DACs and other sources (with output impedances less than ~600 ohms), but something to be mindful of.
I did not notice that but you’re right, eagle eyes! Most modern dacs should be fine but yes, definitely something to be mindful of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back