HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 6, 2024 at 12:30 AM Post #23,251 of 25,688
Maybe with tube amps that change the frequency response a lot. 25% for DAC's? Dayum son, you must have golden ears...
Even the difference from an ESS -> R2R DAC was there, audible, and i strongly preferred the R2R, but it wasn't like i was listening to a whole other headphone, just a better (small) updated version of the one i was enjoying.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:07 AM Post #23,252 of 25,688
There is a puzzle here regarding these percentage calculations given the unpredictability of one wild card in the equation, a wild card representing the sum total of what each person or anyone with a human body/mind complex might bring to the listening experience. if these human receptivity factors (including hearing acuity, moods, emotional states, and the timing of each listening session) are necessarily variable, from one person to another, and hence quite fluid and unpredictable, escaping any kind of fixed universal calculability, how can we determine or quantify its final impact on individual audio experiences by affixing any kind of number to it as a deteminant of , say, x% of the audio experience or its enjoyment.? And if we cannot calculate this X% with any kind of certainty for everyone, then how might we determine how much other "external" factors, such as the quality of the Audio chain or that of each of the chain's components, might impact or define that experience in percentage numbers for everyone?

By the way, I am aware that many enthusiasts in our hobby find such calculations to be helpful in thinking about and making sense of their experience in audio, which is why they might always be around and that is not in dispute. I am just questioning the ultimate accuracy of such calculations and/or speculations, wondering how irremediably unreliable they might be. Any further thoughts?

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:10 AM Post #23,253 of 25,688
Gotta say, 2 years ago, I was thinking about which summit-tier headphone I should get. The Susvara was an option. However, I was pushed away from the Susvara and to the Shangri-La Jr partly due to two things that I saw in this thread: the incessant amp one-upmanship ("you haven't really heard the Susvara unless you've heard it on [this aka my] amp") and the constant arguments about cables. The SGL Jr neatly sidesteps these questions; there's a bespoke amp, so if I was ever worried about amp synergy, I could just get that and say that I'm hearing it "the way it's meant to be played(tm)". And the cable is attached and non-removable; can't worry about using the best cable when you can't change it (taps temple).

I'm not even a cable denier; I use Kimber Hero XLR interconnects and I have a Shunyata power cable for my DAC. In the case of the Shunyata, I was able to demo it at home over an extended period of time before making the purchase, so it's not like I blindly threw money at it. I'm clearly willing to spend money on fancy cables, but I have no interest in playing the cable game. To me, cables are fun little tweaks, and I don't like the audiophile nervosa that cables can cause with headphones like the Susvara, regardless of whether they change the sound or not. I'm open to trying things out, but the bickering is off-putting.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:53 AM Post #23,254 of 25,688
Since we are on the discussion on cables related to susvara. Assuming people have a very high end setup. What other kind of cables did you see make a difference and by your own subjective opinion , what percentage or rating would you give each?.

1. Power cables
2. Interconnects
3. Headphone cables.

Which one of the cables would make the most noticible difference?

Please note, this poll is purely based on your experience or opinion. I do not want any arguments or trolling on this.

Thankyou.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:07 AM Post #23,255 of 25,688
Gotta say, 2 years ago, I was thinking about which summit-tier headphone I should get. The Susvara was an option. However, I was pushed away from the Susvara and to the Shangri-La Jr partly due to two things that I saw in this thread: the incessant amp one-upmanship ("you haven't really heard the Susvara unless you've heard it on [this aka my] amp") and the constant arguments about cables. The SGL Jr neatly sidesteps these questions; there's a bespoke amp, so if I was ever worried about amp synergy, I could just get that and say that I'm hearing it "the way it's meant to be played(tm)". And the cable is attached and non-removable; can't worry about using the best cable when you can't change it (taps temple).

I'm not even a cable denier; I use Kimber Hero XLR interconnects and I have a Shunyata power cable for my DAC. In the case of the Shunyata, I was able to demo it at home over an extended period of time before making the purchase, so it's not like I blindly threw money at it. I'm clearly willing to spend money on fancy cables, but I have no interest in playing the cable game. To me, cables are fun little tweaks, and I don't like the audiophile nervosa that cables can cause with headphones like the Susvara, regardless of whether they change the sound or not. I'm open to trying things out, but the bickering is off-putting.
Amp-upmanship is part and parcel of faith based headphone audio. I joined this forum more than 20 years ago :scream:. HD600 was then one of the top tier headphones - and of course above any criticism. If it sounded too dark (to my ears it did) you were advised to get an amp. If it sounded too bright you were also advised to get an amp. It was never the headphones but amp, dac, cables, burn-in, system synergy, whatever. Such is the nature of placebo driven fanboyism.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #23,256 of 25,688
Since we are on the discussion on cables related to susvara. Assuming people have a very high end setup. What other kind of cables did you see make a difference and by your own subjective opinion , what percentage or rating would you give each?.

1. Power cables
2. Interconnects
3. Headphone cables.

Please note, this poll is purely based on your experience or opinion. I do not want any arguments or trolling on this.

Thankyou.
Personal experience says for electronics and speakers/headphones, closest to the ears matters most. So order of descending importance headphones - amp - DAC - streamer.
For cables experience says it’s the reverse. Closest to the wall matters most. So again in descending order, power, USB, interconnects, headphone cable.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:53 AM Post #23,257 of 25,688

1. Power cables
2. Interconnects
3. Headphone cables.

Thankyou.
Here's a bit of a different answer. After years of finetuning my system, here's where I've put my money (in descending order of value):
- amp
- power distributor and power cables
- dac
- clock
- headphones
- bnc clock cables.
- xlr interconnects.
- hdphns cable.
- tubes.
- ethernet cable.

I am fully aware that more expensive is not always better. This is just the current value distribution between my gear.

There was also some strategy involved. For example:
- My dac+clock sound superb, so I wanted a neutral xlr that just gets out of the way. Nothing too crazy.
- I want my music to sound as natural and analog as possible. Upgrading my power distributor, power cables and clock cables have relaxed the sound to a point where I can listen fatigue-free for hours. Probably the biggest surprise of my audio journey.
- Ethernet cables are a rabbit hole I've avoided, thanks to the friendly guys at dCS Audio. Apparently, the Lina dac solves most issues internally.
- I'm still sceptical about the additional benefit of high-end headphone cables in my already high-end system. I'll be receiving a dhc chimera with banana plugs next month. Not expecting my jaw to drop, but still very curious.

Next upgrade: Susvara 2.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 5:00 AM Post #23,258 of 25,688
Amp-upmanship is part and parcel of faith based headphone audio. I joined this forum more than 20 years ago :scream:. HD600 was then one of the top tier headphones - and of course above any criticism. If it sounded too dark (to my ears it did) you were advised to get an amp. If it sounded too bright you were also advised to get an amp. It was never the headphones but amp, dac, cables, burn-in, system synergy, whatever. Such is the nature of placebo driven fanboyism.
20 years eh? good to see that you've kept an open mind.

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:00 AM Post #23,260 of 25,688
I get just as much difference switching power cables and hp cables for susvara. I have not heard much difference between xlr cables from dac to amp

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #23,261 of 25,688
Interesting. What distributor and power cables do you use ?
Wall > psd: SIN Audio Boutique pc 10 ghost.
Psd: furutech e-tp 609 ncf (but upgrading to SIN Audio soon).
Psd > Lina dac: furutech nanoflux power ncf.
Psd > clock: furutech power ref 3.
Psd > Riviera: furutech power ref 3.

Jan 6, 2024 at 8:54 AM Post #23,263 of 25,688
Agree, but sounds pretty good. 👍

The Susvara book says the stock cable is a hybrid copper and silver cable. Sounds similar to the Noir Hybrid HPC which was mentioned before as being a quality cable and is also hybrid copper / silver. Also did they update the stock cables? Mine are black and do not look like catheters :'D

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #23,264 of 25,688
The Susvara book says the stock cable is a hybrid copper and silver cable. Sounds similar to the Noir Hybrid HPC which was mentioned before as being a quality cable and is also hybrid copper / silver. Also did they update the stock cables? Mine are black and do not look like catheters :'D
That's bad, now you can't save lives with it. :D Newer Hifimans like Arya Organic and HE1000 Stealth also got black cables.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #23,265 of 25,688
Also did they update the stock cables? Mine are black and do not look like catheters :'D
yes.

Maybe about 6 months or so ago from what i have read on this thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back