HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 9, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #13,681 of 25,657
So currently all Susvara would come with 3.5mm connectors? I am considering purchasing one and I have an OCC upgrade cable that I use for D8000 Pro with 3.5mm connectors.
They changed to 3.5mm about 18 months ago

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #13,682 of 25,657
Wondering if any is rocking mono blocks AHB2s with Susvara right now? If so which gain mode are you using? Do you find any discernible differences than running a solo amp? Thanks

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #13,683 of 25,657
Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 10:45 AM Post #13,684 of 25,657
Thanks Rangerid for the comparison. It seems that my approach to music reproduction aligns much more with the Bakoon's presentation.

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:48 AM Post #13,685 of 25,657
D8000 CABLES DO WORK ON SUSVARA. I AM WRONG BELOW
So currently all Susvara would come with 3.5mm connectors? I am considering purchasing one and I have an OCC upgrade cable that I use for D8000 Pro with 3.5mm connectors.
Sus uses 3.5 but the cables from final do not work with sus for so.e reason

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #13,686 of 25,657
Timekeeper 3i sounds amazing as well. My plan was to get mono block AHB2 when I get a speaker setup. Waiting for my kids to grow older so they don’t ruin floor standing speakers. But maybe I’ll try the dual mono earlier. Seems like a great combo with Susvara.

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:01 AM Post #13,687 of 25,657
Timekeeper 3i sounds amazing as well. My plan was to get mono block AHB2 when I get a speaker setup. Waiting for my kids to grow older so they don’t ruin floor standing speakers. But maybe I’ll try the dual mono earlier. Seems like a great combo with Susvara.
😂kids is one reason I am all into (compact) headphone rigs at a somehow safe place 👍

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 11:02 AM Post #13,688 of 25,657
I just bought a used Naim Supernait 3 to run my Susvaras off the speaker taps. I currently use a Cayin HA-300 with upgraded tubes, tonally I can’t fault it, but I’m not convinced it powers the Susvaras fully.

I considered higher powered but affordable headphone amps like Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Flux Volot, preamp and (power) amp combos like the Benchmark LPA4/HPA4 and AHB2 (single and bridged pair) and Pass Labs XP12 and XA25, TOTL headphone amps that I’ve seen recommended for the Susvara like the Riviera AIC-10 and Viva Egoista 845, and integrated amps like the Accuphase H-380 that Sajid Amit uses.

I ruled out the Bakoon AMP13R / Enleum Amp23R because I’ve heard it sounds like a tube amp and that will be too close to what I’ve got now. If I’m honest, I don’t like the look of the AMP13R/23R either but appreciate it packs a punch for something that takes up so little desk space.

AIC-10 and Egoista 845 were too expensive and too hard to find used. I rarely buy anything new. The Pass Labs combo is GBP £7k-£8k used and I couldn’t find a 230v XP12 used in the UK. I nearly bought a pair of AHB2 power amps but couldn’t agree a price. That setup was slightly less than the Pass Labs but was still going to cost GBP £6k-£7k which is twice as much as my Susvaras cost open box. The Accuphase H-380 was GBP £5k-£6k used in the UK so cheaper than a Pass Labs combo or integrated but still expensive if you’re not going to use it to drive speakers.

The Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Flux Volot were out-gunned by amp / power amp based solutions in the reviews I read. I experimented with a Burson Conductor 3XR as a cheaper all-in-one high powered headphone amp solution and it blew both the drivers in my Susvaras in 15 minutes.

A big thank you to Hifiman and Elite Audio in the UK for their excellent customer service. Hifiman replaced my Susvaras for a modest amount even though “miscombinations” aren’t covered by their warranty and Elite Audio agreed to cover the costs I incurred after confirming one channel on the Burson Conductor 3XR was faulty. I switched the headphone connectors over when one of my Susvara drivers blew and the faulty channel ended up blowing both. In the few minutes I had with it the Burson sounded very good considering the price, Bluetooth connectivity, and convenience, but the tone wasn’t as sublime and ethereal as the HA-300. That put me off all in ones. I think if I bought another one, I’d go for the Violectric v590 rather than a Burson.

My issue may have been a one-off but there are other reports of Burson amps destroying headphones, including Susvaras, on other forums. Posters have reported that they don’t have mute relay switches built into their circuitry and the DC current can spike when they are switched on. My Burson Conductor 3XR blew my Susvara drivers when it was first switched on in high impedence mode at volume 50 with music streaming by Bluetooth.

I bought a Naim Supernait 3 integrated amp on eBay today used for GBP £2.4k. Sajid said he knows somebody who uses one and she prefers it for rock and metal to other integrated amps because of its speed and slam so I’m hoping it will give me something approaching the fully scaled performance of the Pass Labs combo and Accuphase integrated for half the cost. An even cheaper option would be a Naim Supernait 2. There is one of those on eBay UK for GBP £1.4k. Both 2 and 3 models output 80w into 8 ohms as far as I know. 3 is more clean and detailed with a phono input and 2 has more bass weight and drive.

Should I buy a Hifiman HE adapter or an XLR 4 pin female to banana plug extension cable? I’ve learned my lesson about turning the volume down before turning an amp on and off. I think I should be turning the amp on, turning the volume down, plugging the headphones in, turning the volume up very slowly, then after use turning the volume back down, unplugging the headphones, then turning the amp off? Is that the correct order? Is there anything else I should do to protect my Susvaras before, during, and after use with an integrated amp?

Jan 9, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #13,689 of 25,657
Should I buy a Hifiman HE adapter or an XLR 4 pin female to banana plug extension cable?
I'd recommend the Zynsonix Speakertap Adapter Box, it's basically like the Hifiman Adapter but without resistors in the signal path (unless you want attenuation, you xan even built it with switch for attenuation/non attenuation)
It is more pricey though.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:15 PM Post #13,690 of 25,657
i wonder how the oor + hypsos compares to my vioelectric 590

my stack now is violectric 590--- ifi pro idsd --- susvara

does the oor - hyposos have more power than vio 590 ?

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 12:19 PM Post #13,691 of 25,657
i wonder how the oor + hypsos compares to my vioelectric 590

my stack now is violectric 590--- ifi pro idsd --- susvara

does the oor - hyposos have more power than vio 590 ?

This is actyaly a comparo I've been hunting for for a while now. Power seems similar enough overall and all the subjective impressions I've seen of both say they run sus fully (I've heard the ferum stack and agree and given i think the v281 runs propper bass on sus im inclined to believe the vio impressions as well). It kinda seems to me that these two would ve the ones to beat ~3k new for a sus amp and would likely be Bliss's main competitors

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #13,692 of 25,657
I just bought a used Naim Supernait 3 to run my Susvaras off the speaker taps. I currently use a Cayin HA-300 with upgraded tubes, tonally I can’t fault it, but I’m not convinced it powers the Susvaras fully.

I considered higher powered but affordable headphone amps like Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Flux Volot, preamp and (power) amp combos like the Benchmark LPA4/HPA4 and AHB2 (single and bridged pair) and Pass Labs XP12 and XA25, TOTL headphone amps that I’ve seen recommended for the Susvara like the Riviera AIC-10 and Viva Egoista 845, and integrated amps like the Accuphase H-380 that Sajid Amit uses.

I ruled out the Bakoon AMP13R / Enleum Amp23R because I’ve heard it sounds like a tube amp and that will be too close to what I’ve got now. If I’m honest, I don’t like the look of the AMP13R/23R either but appreciate it packs a punch for something that takes up so little desk space.

AIC-10 and Egoista 845 were too expensive and too hard to find used. I rarely buy anything new. The Pass Labs combo is GBP £7k-£8k used and I couldn’t find a 230v XP12 used in the UK. I nearly bought a pair of AHB2 power amps but couldn’t agree a price. That setup was slightly less than the Pass Labs but was still going to cost GBP £6k-£7k which is twice as much as my Susvaras cost open box. The Accuphase H-380 was GBP £5k-£6k used in the UK so cheaper than a Pass Labs combo or integrated but still expensive if you’re not going to use it to drive speakers.

The Ferrum Oor/Hypsos and Flux Volot were out-gunned by amp / power amp based solutions in the reviews I read. I experimented with a Burson Conductor 3XR as a cheaper all-in-one high powered headphone amp solution and it blew both the drivers in my Susvaras in 15 minutes.

A big thank you to Hifiman and Elite Audio in the UK for their excellent customer service. Hifiman replaced my Susvaras for a modest amount even though “miscombinations” aren’t covered by their warranty and Elite Audio agreed to cover the costs I incurred after confirming one channel on the Burson Conductor 3XR was faulty. I switched the headphone connectors over when one of my Susvara drivers blew and the faulty channel ended up blowing both. In the few minutes I had with it the Burson sounded very good considering the price, Bluetooth connectivity, and convenience, but the tone wasn’t as sublime and ethereal as the HA-300. That put me off all in ones. I think if I bought another one, I’d go for the Violectric v590 rather than a Burson.

My issue may have been a one-off but there are other reports of Burson amps destroying headphones, including Susvaras, on other forums. Posters have reported that they don’t have mute relay switches built into their circuitry and the DC current can spike when they are switched on. My Burson Conductor 3XR blew my Susvara drivers when it was first switched on in high impedence mode at volume 50 with music streaming by Bluetooth.

I bought a Naim Supernait 3 integrated amp on eBay today used for GBP £2.4k. Sajid said he knows somebody who uses one and she prefers it for rock and metal to other integrated amps because of its speed and slam so I’m hoping it will give me something approaching the fully scaled performance of the Pass Labs combo and Accuphase integrated for half the cost. An even cheaper option would be a Naim Supernait 2. There is one of those on eBay UK for GBP £1.4k. Both 2 and 3 models output 80w into 8 ohms as far as I know. 3 is more clean and detailed with a phono input and 2 has more bass weight and drive.

Should I buy a Hifiman HE adapter or an XLR 4 pin female to banana plug extension cable? I’ve learned my lesson about turning the volume down before turning an amp on and off. I think I should be turning the amp on, turning the volume down, plugging the headphones in, turning the volume up very slowly, then after use turning the volume back down, unplugging the headphones, then turning the amp off? Is that the correct order? Is there anything else I should do to protect my Susvaras before, during, and after use with an integrated amp?
The Naim house-sound is very different from Pass (or Accuphase).
Naim is more hard-hitting, punchy but less resolving and detailed. A bit flatter on soundstage and imaging.
Pass is more smooth sounding, resolving, big soundstage and images great but less punchy and hard-hitting than Naim.
Accuphase is similar to Pass, but even more resolving and dynamic.

Jan 9, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #13,694 of 25,657
If it is the Final Audio upgrade cable (from Final) that won't work due to the locking connectors Final uses. If it is an aftermarket custom upgrade I'd imagine you would be just fine.

Edit: Sorry I did not see the reply before posting my now redundant comment.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #13,695 of 25,657
If it is the Final Audio upgrade cable (from Final) that won't work due to the locking connectors Final uses. If it is an aftermarket custom upgrade I'd imagine you would be just fine.

Edit: Sorry I did not see the reply before posting my now redundant comment.

Its not the locking connector that is the issue. It plugs into sus just fine. The pinout is just different in such a way that it doesn't produce sound

Users who are viewing this thread

Back