HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 9, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #13,696 of 25,569
The Naim house-sound is very different from Pass (or Accuphase).
Naim is more hard-hitting, punchy but less resolving and detailed. A bit flatter on soundstage and imaging.
Pass is more smooth sounding, resolving, big soundstage and images great but less punchy and hard-hitting than Naim.
Accuphase is similar to Pass, but even more resolving and dynamic.

That’s what I’m looking for. From what I’ve read the Pass sound is like the Susvara on steroids. I’d like an amp that wakes the Susvaras up and blows my hat off with electronic, pop, rock, and metal music.

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:41 PM Post #13,697 of 25,569
I'd recommend the Zynsonix Speakertap Adapter Box, it's basically like the Hifiman Adapter but without resistors in the signal path (unless you want attenuation, you xan even built it with switch for attenuation/non attenuation)
It is more pricey though.
Apologies for the novice question, but what is the impact on the sound of resistors in the signal path and attenuation with the HE adaptor and no resistors and no attenuation with the Zynsonix Speakertap adapter box? I’m guessing the more expensive option produces a more impactful sound?

Jan 9, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #13,698 of 25,569
Its not the locking connector that is the issue. It plugs into sus just fine. The pinout is just different in such a way that it doesn't produce sound
I equated that to them "being too short" and not able to get a connection because the pins could not fully seat (Final cable with locks into Susvara). My simple mind is basing this from that if I have an aftermarket cable (Lavricables) for my D8000 Pro and it also works with the Susvara that the pinout wiring is the same - so it was a mechanical issue aka pins too short due to lock mechanism on the Final cables interfering when trying to use the final cables with the Susvara.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:01 PM Post #13,699 of 25,569
I'd recommend the Zynsonix Speakertap Adapter Box, it's basically like the Hifiman Adapter but without resistors in the signal path (unless you want attenuation, you xan even built it with switch for attenuation/non attenuation)
It is more pricey though.
What’s the difference in sound likely to be like with the Ballista Octet Hifiman Susvara cable Zynsonix sell? It’s cheap than the adapter box when you start adding in extra like the attenuation switch, isolation feet, upgraded speaker taps etc and speaker cable to attach it to the speaker taps on the amps. Are you getting better protection for your headphones with an adapter box versus cable terminated with banana plugs? Thanks.

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #13,700 of 25,569
D8000 CABLES DO WORK ON SUSVARA. I AM WRONG BELOW
I equated that to them "being too short" and not able to get a connection because the pins could not fully seat (Final cable with locks into Susvara). My simple mind is basing this from that if I have an aftermarket cable (Lavricables) for my D8000 Pro and it also works with the Susvara that the pinout wiring is the same - so it was a mechanical issue aka pins too short due to lock mechanism on the Final cables interfering when trying to use the final cables with the Susvara.

I honestly hadn't thought about it this way. Maybe thats true, but I had always just assumed the d8kp used in spec length pins and it was the TS wiring combo that didn't work (I think sus is TR and not TS like d8000 is, but I may be wrong). Guess I'll go check some more of my cables to see whats going on exactly. Be back with pinputs in a few

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 2:46 PM Post #13,701 of 25,569

I was wrong here. It looks like I actualy have some issues with the gear I was using (seems my ddc/dac connection is giving me issues). The D8000 cable does work on susvara. Ill go ahead and update my previous posts

Jan 9, 2022 at 2:48 PM Post #13,702 of 25,569
That's disappointing but I may use the stock cable for a while after the purchase.:)
I was wrong due to some of my gear having issues when I tested this this AM. Final cables do work on susvara

Jan 9, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #13,704 of 25,569
Is there nothing about your HEKSE that you prefer to the Susvara? I’ve got a Cayin HA-300 tube headphone amp and reviewers have preferred the HEKSE to the Susvara with the HA-300 because it’s easier to drive so you get more out of. I’ve got Susvaras and a used HEKSE on order. I’ve been using HE-6SEv2 headphones recently while my Susvaras were being replaced and it’s cleaner and more neutral than the Susvara which I prefer. The Susvara beats it at everything else but the HE-6SE has its strengths and music preferences and is much better value for money than the Susvara at just over USD 600 in the recent Hifiman sale. What do you still like about the HEKSE compared to Susvaras?

Jan 9, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #13,705 of 25,569
Is there nothing about your HEKSE that you prefer to the Susvara? I’ve got a Cayin HA-300 tube headphone amp and reviewers have preferred the HEKSE to the Susvara with the HA-300 because it’s easier to drive so you get more out of. I’ve got Susvaras and a used HEKSE on order. I’ve been using HE-6SEv2 headphones recently while my Susvaras were being replaced and it’s cleaner and more neutral than the Susvara which I prefer. The Susvara beats it at everything else but the HE-6SE has its strengths and music preferences and is much better value for money than the Susvara at just over USD 600 in the recent Hifiman sale. What do you still like about the HEKSE compared to Susvaras?
Don’t get me wrong, I still like Hekse, lately I decided to change my strategy, I use to have a lot of headphones, like 12-15, but anyway I used 2-3 my favorites and I decided to have 3 good cans and use them instead to have a lot and collect dust, that’s why I upgraded my Hekse to Susvara , I loved my Hekse so much ans after I received Susvara I wasn’t sure if I did right move, I was happy with Hekse and now I spend money and got similar products, little better but for different money and until today I had this thoughts in my mind, but now I see Susvara worth to upgrade. Sorry for my English

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #13,706 of 25,569
Don’t get me wrong, I still like Hekse, lately I decided to change my strategy, I use to have a lot of headphones, like 12-15, but anyway I used 2-3 my favorites and I decided to have 3 good cans and use them instead to have a lot and collect dust, that’s why I upgraded my Hekse to Susvara , I loved my Hekse so much ans after I received Susvara I wasn’t sure if I did right move, I was happy with Hekse and now I spend money and got similar products, little better but for different money and until today I had this thoughts in my mind, but now I see Susvara worth to upgrade. Sorry for my English
i just upgraded from hekse, as well (a couple days ago), and im having a very similar experience. when i first started listening to the susvara, i was honestly a bit disappointed and wondered if id made a mistake. while tonality was fantastic, the soundstage was a lot smaller than the hekse’s. however, that has changed today after ~30 hrs break in; they are throwing a huge and very deep soundstage now.

the susvara is honestly sounding like my end game already, even with my humble conductor 3xp, which (with the upgraded psu) drives them much better than i expected. the one aspect that still lags behind the hekse is bass impact. maybe that would change with a better amp? tbf i found the hekse pretty bassy (and pretty strongly v-shaped), which was great with certain music but not all. the susvara is more neutral.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2022 at 5:34 PM Post #13,708 of 25,569
i just upgraded from hekse, as well (a couple days ago), and im having a very similar experience. when i first started listening to the susvara, i was honestly a bit disappointed and wondered if id made a mistake. while tonality was fantastic, the soundstage was a lot smaller than the hekse’s. however, that has changed today after ~30 hrs break in; they are throwing a huge and very deep soundstage now.

the susvara is honestly sounding like my end game already, even with my humble conductor 3xp, which (with the upgraded psu) drives them much better than i expected. the one aspect that still lags behind the hekse is bass impact. maybe that would change with a better amp? tbf i found the hekse pretty bassy (and pretty strongly v-shaped), which was great with certain music but not all. the susvara is more neutral.
I also got my Susvara last Thursday and seems to me today Susvara start to produce bass better than was at Hekse, punch more powerful, before now my favorite can was Abyss 1266TC, now I like this 2 headphones equally, plus Susvara much more comfortable

Jan 9, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #13,709 of 25,569
I agree

I agree

Jan 9, 2022 at 6:35 PM Post #13,710 of 25,569
I know that a lot of people don’t believe the hype that Susvara needs a powerful integrated of power amplifier (speaker amplifier) to shine at their best, but let’s think for a moment that such affirmation is false and you can drive them perfectly fine, awaking nicer dynamics even with regular headphone amplifiers and let’s have a look at what Hifiman recommended to use with their best of the best. Hifiman designed an amplifier that was specifically tailored to perfectly match their Susvara and that my friends is EF1000 - let’s have a close look at it.

this is what I said the other day about the amp developed by hifiman to work best with susvara...do they need this much power?...no ,but they do need sufficient power

Users who are viewing this thread

Back