HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:44 AM Post #13,726 of 25,666
What are the benefits using an adapter box vs using a speaker tap cable adapter directly?
If it has a load (read resistor) in it, then there will be some negative sonic impact, but your providing a load that looks like a speaker to the amp i.e. 4-8 Ohms.
Most SS amps don't care, so your better off with just a cable or a pass through box for convenience.
In most tube speaker amps the load is reflected through the output transformer and is a part of the amplification circuit, and especially with more powerful tube amps, they are designed for a specific load (hence separate 4 and 8 Ohm outputs), amps like this won't play well with a 64 Ohm load, some might even fail, so a load is necessary.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #13,727 of 25,666
Thank you, I’m connecting Susvara to Auris Nirvana and I should choose amps 32,80,150,300 and 600

I haven't tried that amp with a Susvara, but I'd imagine you'd be better off with the lowest output impedance, i.e. the 32 Ohm setting, possibly 80 Ohms.
generally lower output impedances will provide more current, assuming they are actually separate transformer taps (which they aren't always).

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #13,728 of 25,666
I haven't tried that amp with a Susvara, but I'd imagine you'd be better off with the lowest output impedance, i.e. the 32 Ohm setting, possibly 80 Ohms.
generally lower output impedances will provide more current, assuming they are actually separate transformer taps (which they aren't always).
I thought the same way, I changed tubes and seems to me it does help, I’ll see, thank you for explanation

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #13,729 of 25,666
Hello, would you tell me , on how much Ohm did you put impedance when you use Susvara?
Thank you
Good question, Gene! I tried it at all the settings, and to me, it sounded best at 32 - everything sounded good and the bass was nice and tight. But depending on what music I'm playing, sometimes one of the other impedances sound better to me - no matter which headphones I'm using, I basically use the Nirvana's impedance dial as a kind of tone control, and I pay the most attention to how the bass sounds - I don't really care about matching impedance numbers - I'll just go with what sounds best to me.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:39 PM Post #13,730 of 25,666
Good question, Gene! I tried it at all the settings, and to me, it sounded best at 32 - everything sounded good and the bass was nice and tight. But depending on what music I'm playing, sometimes one of the other impedances sound better to me - no matter which headphones I'm using, I basically use the Nirvana's impedance dial as a kind of tone control, and I pay the most attention to how the bass sounds - I don't really care about matching impedance numbers - I'll just go with what sounds best to me.
Thank you , after I changed tube looks like problem solved , Susvara sound better every day, today day 5 )))

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #13,731 of 25,666
And on the flip side i have a holo may level 3 arriving this week so i’ll see how that plays with the diamond usb in my setup for my preferences
@TDinCali i have been using the diamond with the kte (currently at 85 hours burn in) and I preferred aand switched back to my audience usb cable with a warmer tilt which matches better.

i’ll try the diamond again later but thus far tye diamond with the kte was not offering much stage depth.

the audience usb offered a nicer tone which gave it some depth

Jan 10, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #13,732 of 25,666
I am using an Shunyata Research Venom USB cable with the Spring3 KTE because I like the added warmth and expanded stage that cable brings. It was almost a must have when switching from the Violectric V281 to the V550, the Venom balanced things back out. I will try some higher tier cables in the future but for now the Venom is quite nice.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #13,734 of 25,666
question for all the susvara fanatics out there:If hifiman was to introduce a new version of the susvara....other than making it more efficient or having a better cable what could they do to make it worthwhile to upgrade...to be honest I have thought about it and do not know what they could do dramatically better given current technology....I would assume the only thing they could do is something like audeze did with the LCD-5 and completely change the character of the HP but assuming the goal is to upgrade the current version what do people think?...

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:29 PM Post #13,735 of 25,666
question for all the susvara fanatics out there:If hifiman was to introduce a new version of the susvara....other than making it more efficient or having a better cable what could they do to make it worthwhile to upgrade...to be honest I have thought about it and do not know what they could do dramatically better given current technology....I would assume the only thing they could do is something like audeze did with the LCD-5 and completely change the character of the HP but assuming the goal is to upgrade the current version what do people think?...
Obviously the bass impact. Give it that LCD bottom end, and there would be no competition. Other than that, you can always have more detail!

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:36 PM Post #13,736 of 25,666
Obviously the bass impact. Give it that LCD bottom end, and there would be no competition. Other than that, you can always have more detail!
+1 on bass impact but haven’t tried dual AHB2 yet so not sure.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #13,737 of 25,666
Better and more expensive-looking build quality. They can take a page from Meze.

And better cables.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:41 PM Post #13,738 of 25,666
Better and more expensive-looking build quality. They can take a page from Meze.

And better cables.
Yes that catheter cabe is quite annoying. Sticky.

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #13,739 of 25,666

To be frank, give it texture. Idk if its my chain of the cans but I don't even get 1/8th the texture out of susvara as I do out of d8000 pro on the exact same gear down to the cable. I would also apreciate a more open soundstage. Maybe something arrier and bigger like arya or soli P

Jan 10, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #13,740 of 25,666
not sure anybody would upgrade for a better stock cable or even nicer build....the damn thing is so good as it is now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back