HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 9, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #13,711 of 25,670
i just upgraded from hekse, as well (a couple days ago), and im having a very similar experience. when i first started listening to the susvara, i was honestly a bit disappointed and wondered if id made a mistake. while tonality was fantastic, the soundstage was a lot smaller than the hekse’s. however, that has changed today after ~30 hrs break in; they are throwing a huge and very deep soundstage now.

the susvara is honestly sounding like my end game already, even with my humble conductor 3xp, which (with the upgraded psu) drives them much better than i expected. the one aspect that still lags behind the hekse is bass impact. maybe that would change with a better amp? tbf i found the hekse pretty bassy (and pretty strongly v-shaped), which was great with certain music but not all. the susvara is more neutral.
Can't wait to hear your impressions after 120-135hrs. That driver is no joke and seriously needs burn to fully awaken. When I received mine the gap between it and the HEKse only grew with each listen. It's a beast and when driven properly, has no equal imo.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #13,712 of 25,670
i just upgraded from hekse, as well (a couple days ago), and im having a very similar experience. when i first started listening to the susvara, i was honestly a bit disappointed and wondered if id made a mistake. while tonality was fantastic, the soundstage was a lot smaller than the hekse’s. however, that has changed today after ~30 hrs break in; they are throwing a huge and very deep soundstage now.

the susvara is honestly sounding like my end game already, even with my humble conductor 3xp, which (with the upgraded psu) drives them much better than i expected. the one aspect that still lags behind the hekse is bass impact. maybe that would change with a better amp? tbf i found the hekse pretty bassy (and pretty strongly v-shaped), which was great with certain music but not all. the susvara is more neutral.
I have conductor 3XR and I use it to drive my LCD-5. I changed all the default vivid op-amps to Sparko Labs ss3602 and it sounds better with smoother vocals, sparkled treble, and tighter bass. I will share my impression once I buy the Susvara.

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #13,713 of 25,670
Really surprised by the responses saying susvara is a disappointing upgrade

It was instantly noticed and I don’t miss the hekV2 that I traded in

Not saying the he1000 is bad but I sure don’t really miss it now

Jan 9, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #13,714 of 25,670
I'd recommend the Zynsonix Speakertap Adapter Box, it's basically like the Hifiman Adapter but without resistors in the signal path (unless you want attenuation, you xan even built it with switch for attenuation/non attenuation)
It is more pricey though.
What are the benefits using an adapter box vs using a speaker tap cable adapter directly?

Jan 9, 2022 at 8:48 PM Post #13,716 of 25,670
The only thing need ed for susvara is Riviera. Aftermarket Pads doesn't work well with sus at all
Dekoni elite hybrids make them shine. :)

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #13,717 of 25,670
I had the HeKse and Susvara at the same time and could not find a smart reason to keep both. It was an easy decision made within the week. I only wanted to keep 2 headphones and I prefer my 2nd pair to be on the same tier as the Sus, which the Hekse isn’t.

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #13,718 of 25,670
I know that a lot of people don’t believe the hype that Susvara needs a powerful integrated of power amplifier (speaker amplifier) to shine at their best, but let’s think for a moment that such affirmation is false and you can drive them perfectly fine, awaking nicer dynamics even with regular headphone amplifiers and let’s have a look at what Hifiman recommended to use with their best of the best. Hifiman designed an amplifier that was specifically tailored to perfectly match their Susvara and that my friends is EF1000 - let’s have a close look at it.

this is what I said the other day about the amp developed by hifiman to work best with susvara...do they need this much power?...no ,but they do need sufficient power
Indeed - they scale very well, which is what it amounts to - they just need more minimum power in the scale. But I'd guess that it's possible that any amp you got for them (or anything else), there might be something else that's even 'better'.

I use an Auris Nirvana, which the Auris engineer designed to be able to drive Susvara headphones well, at least that's what he said in an interview. I am very happy and don't feel I'm missing out - they sound very muscular and detailed through this amp; of course, I've no doubt that there are tube headphone amps I'd like even better, but they'd generally cost a lot more, and at some point, a component is good enough to not worry about imminent upgrades!

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #13,720 of 25,670
As headphone.com reviewer said the pad is bad. My experience is the same
Did any headphone.com reviewers say the pad is good?

Jan 9, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #13,721 of 25,670
I had the HeKse and Susvara at the same time and could not find a smart reason to keep both. It was an easy decision made within the week. I only wanted to keep 2 headphones and I prefer my 2nd pair to be on the same tier as the Sus, which the Hekse isn’t.
I’m completely agree with you, I have right now Susvara, Abyss 1260TC and lcd4, now I have just one dilemma, if I should upgrade lcd4 to 5th version, I like to wait little more to collect more information about lcd5, for now I’m not sure if I should , also I have in my mind, I have 2 headphones systems, maybe I should sale both of them and buy one high end system, but in this case I should collect more information about to, I’m kind of new in headphones hobby, I started when Corona came and I start spend more time at home

Jan 9, 2022 at 10:07 PM Post #13,722 of 25,670
Indeed - they scale very well, which is what it amounts to - they just need more minimum power in the scale. But I'd guess that it's possible that any amp you got for them (or anything else), there might be something else that's even 'better'.

I use an Auris Nirvana, which the Auris engineer designed to be able to drive Susvara headphones well, at least that's what he said in an interview. I am very happy and don't feel I'm missing out - they sound very muscular and detailed through this amp; of course, I've no doubt that there are tube headphone amps I'd like even better, but they'd generally cost a lot more, and at some point, a component is good enough to not worry about imminent upgrades!
Hello, would you tell me , on how much Ohm did you put impedance when you use Susvara?
Thank you

Jan 10, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #13,724 of 25,670
Hello, would you tell me , on how much Ohm did you put impedance when you use Susvara?
Thank you
Are you referring to the size of resistors used when hooking the susvara up to a speaker amp? Sorry, just trying to clarify your question.

Jan 10, 2022 at 9:14 AM Post #13,725 of 25,670
Are you referring to the size of resistors used when hooking the susvara up to a speaker amp? Sorry, just trying to clarify your question.
Thank you, I’m connecting Susvara to Auris Nirvana and I should choose amps 32,80,150,300 and 600, i tried to put 80 or 150 but I hear some distortion, when I choos 600 sound is clear but loosing sound quality, I didn’t have this kind of problem with other headphones, that’s why I asked LarsMan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back