HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #10,906 of 25,891
For getting a custom speaker tap built, would you guys recommend to get a 4-pin XLR adapter or rather a 2 x 3,5mm adapter to hook up the Susvaras directly?
The XLR adapter will have the advantage of connecting different cans later on such as TCs...

is there any specific PIN configuration to be considered for the XLR option or just standard female 4-PIN XLR?

I'd go with the 4 pin xlr for convenience and versatility. Unless you're absolutely sure youre going to be happy with the cable material/selection/pairing with the susvara and don't intend to use it with anything else.

Another option is to get a speaker tap adaptor box made. I ordered one with zynsonix recently and i believe it will be sent out to me today.

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:46 AM Post #10,907 of 25,891
I'd go with the 4 pin xlr for convenience and versatility. Unless you're absolutely sure youre going to be happy with the cable material/selection/pairing with the susvara and don't intend to use it with anything else.

Another option is to get a speaker tap adaptor box made. I ordered one with zynsonix recently and i believe it will be sent out to me today.
can you post a link pls?
Such solutions are btw totally exotic in my country.
When asking for some offers for stereo speaker amps many vendors were thinking I am crazy thinking about connecting a TOTL headphone to a speaker amp :wink:

Sep 7, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #10,908 of 25,891
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:54 AM Post #10,909 of 25,891
I ordered this and customized the order for the headphones I was intending to use it with.

https://www.zynsonix.com/Deluxe-Speaker-Amp-to-Headphone-Converter-Box_p_54.html

The owner is a pleasure to work with and talk to.
Thx!
If I was living in US it would be easier to get hold of such things.
Annoying customs apply for getting things sent over to Europe.
This box is looking quite nice and is highly customisable as it looks like.
So you will need to connect speaker wire into the box and from there you can plug the Susvara XLR in?

Pls post your impressions once you get it!

Edit: if I am honest I am also a tiny bit scared trying speaker amps with such a high priced beauty can.
Will maybe really first try my FLUX FA-10 to get a feeling for what it yet brings before going the speaker amp way...

Quote from the box manufacturer, really nice :wink:

"ATTENUATION BYPASS SWITCH: If you are using low sensitivity headphones such as HifiMan HE-6, HE-6SE, Susvara, HEDDPhones, or the Abyss headphones, you can add a switch to bypass the internal attenuation in the box. Bypassing the attenuation can damage normal headphones, contact me if you are not sure. "

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #10,910 of 25,891
Thx!
If I was living in US it would be easier to get hold of such things.
Annoying customs apply for getting things sent over to Europe.
This box is looking quite nice and is highly customisable as it looks like.
So you will need to connect speaker wire into the box and from there you can plug the Susvara XLR in?

Pls post your impressions once you get it!

Yep you will need speaker cables into the box. It is quite customisable and Brian is very accommodating with requests.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:42 AM Post #10,911 of 25,891

I believe there will be slight delay.
Mine should have been sent out yesterday and I didn't get a confirmation yet.

When I contacted him last week he told me that he had to wait on a certain part.

Sep 7, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #10,912 of 25,891
Just wondering: what is the advantage of the box solution over the cable adapter?
Upgradeable cables?

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #10,913 of 25,891
Just wondering: what is the advantage of the box solution over the cable adapter?
Upgradeable cables?
You can play with different metal compositions for the chassis to achieve the best sound... :darthsmile:

Seriously, it's more practical to add attenuation (if desired) and is also a bit tidier. That said, I just got a short adapter made with spades on one end and a female 4-pin XLR on the other when I first decided to experiment with a speaker amp, and I still just use that with no problem.

Sep 7, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #10,914 of 25,891
You can play with different metal compositions for the chassis to achieve the best sound... :darthsmile:

Seriously, it's more practical to add attenuation (if desired) and is also a bit tidier. That said, I just got a short adapter made with spades on one end and a female 4-pin XLR on the other when I first decided to experiment with a speaker amp, and I still just use that with no problem.
Guess as long as we go with cans like HE6 or Sus it's just fine.
Whenever wanting something more sensitive the box is becoming handy.
I am just thinking about stepping from one rabbit whole into the next.
XLR interconnect cables between DAC and AMP, loudspeaker amps, headphone cables, loudspeaker to XLR cables and now loudspeaker adapter box 😂

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #10,915 of 25,891
Upgradeable cables?
It has a parallel resistor even if you don't use any attenuation.
That means you can securely use it on tube amps.

With a cable you have to add the resistors as well

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #10,916 of 25,891
Ok I finally did something I never thought I’d do - After much deliberation I sold my beloved Empyreans, took my chances, and this weekend a pair of brand new Susvaras arrived...

And I am completely shellshocked! They feel like what I have been searching for all my audiophiliac life! Everything that annoyed me with the TC 1266 - gone! The slightly wooly blankety feel of the Empyrean - gone!

The timbre of these really are something else. The sound and placement of vocals are not intimate or overly warm as such, they're just incredible lifelike and has this sense of presence in some way. Just wow!

Apologies for gushing so much but I just had to share with people who understands😃

Sep 7, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #10,917 of 25,891
Ok I finally did something I never thought I’d do - After much deliberation I sold my beloved Empyreans, took my chances, and this weekend a pair of brand new Susvaras arrived...

And I am completely shellshocked! They feel like what I have been searching for all my audiophiliac life! Everything that annoyed me with the TC 1266 - gone! The slightly wooly blankety feel of the Empyrean - gone!

The timbre of these really are something else. The sound and placement of vocals are not intimate or overly warm as such, they're just incredible lifelike and has this sense of presence in some way. Just wow!

Apologies for gushing so much but I just had to share with people who understands😃
Congratulations on your purchase. I too am a relatively new Susvara owner and, like you, am thrilled and amazed.

thanks for sharing your early impressions!!

Sep 7, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #10,918 of 25,891

exactly what i do i just turned the pre on my DAC on as well so i can really control the attenuation from Speaker amp haha

Sep 7, 2021 at 8:48 PM Post #10,919 of 25,891

I also sold my Empy soon after receiving my susvara in December! I have even sold my beloved VO for the same reason. The susvara are that good!

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:41 AM Post #10,920 of 25,891
This might be a commonly asked question so please forgive my ignorance.

Is there something special about speaker amps with the Susvara, as opposed to a headphone amp of equivalent power, tonality etc.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back