HiFiMan Susvara
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #10,936 of 26,687
Hi all, sorry for the noob question but I just purchased a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 DAC/AMP. I don't own the Susvaras (have Emypreans vV1) but I'm considering getting them. Would the Matrix amp be sufficient to correctly drive them and have them sound good? Or do I need to also purchase an additional amp? Thanks!

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #10,937 of 26,687
Hi all, sorry for the noob question but I just purchased a Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 DAC/AMP. I don't own the Susvaras (have Emypreans vV1) but I'm considering getting them. Would the Matrix amp be sufficient to correctly drive them and have them sound good? Or do I need to also purchase an additional amp? Thanks!
Specs for balanced PO 4,4mm
Output Impedance: <22Ω
Output Power: 1900mW@33Ω, 950mW@300Ω, 510mW@600Ω, 1%THD

Without being a Susvara expert: you need an additional Poweramp...

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #10,938 of 26,687
Specs for balanced PO 4,4mm
Output Impedance: <22Ω
Output Power: 1900mW@33Ω, 950mW@300Ω, 510mW@600Ω, 1%THD

Without being a Susvara expert: you need an additional Poweramp...
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. If I was to add an amp to this system just for the Susvaras, which one would you recommend that doesn't break the bank? (thinking since I use the Mini as a DAC and only have to worry about amping I can get by with something not too crazy).

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #10,939 of 26,687
Thanks for the quick and informative reply. If I was to add an amp to this system just for the Susvaras, which one would you recommend that doesn't break the bank? (thinking since I use the Mini as a DAC and only have to worry about amping I can get by with something not too crazy).
Where are you based?
If my comparison test to my incoming loudspeaker amp will go as I expect, I can sell you my Flux FA-10 for around 600 bucks

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #10,940 of 26,687
Where are you based?
If my comparison test to my incoming loudspeaker amp will go as I expect, I can sell you my Flux FA-10 for around 600 bucks
Thanks Pm'ing you so i don't derail this thread.

Sep 8, 2021 at 9:21 PM Post #10,942 of 26,687
This might be a commonly asked question so please forgive my ignorance.

Is there something special about speaker amps with the Susvara, as opposed to a headphone amp of equivalent power, tonality etc.?

I know a few others have already explained, so just adding to say that although I wouldn't go as far as saying the Susvara needs a speaker amp, I was definitely impressed with the sound when exploring a few. So much so that I've landed on a speaker amp for it permanently.

Depending on the amp, the main improvements were bass response, openness/soundstage and fuller sound. All subtle improvements compared to the WA33 or HSA1b that I currently have on hand, but very much welcomed improvements.

Last thing I'd add, is that by reading this thread you'd think you absolutely need a $5k amp for them. You can definitely find a budget ($1-$2k) amp old or new that will perform at or near the same level of a $5-$10k TOTL desktop headphone amp imho. A huge money saver if looking for that.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #10,944 of 26,687
I have spent the last 2 weeks listening to the Susvara alot with over 300 hours burned in using the formula S/powerman which is 6 W 16 ohms which is roughly 1.5W into 60 ohms for the susvara. I knew before buying the susvara i would need alot more power to truly hear the susvara's full potential but a more powerful amp has to wait so using what i have for now.

I love how the soundstage width is smaller and more intimate than the abyss 1266TC but the soundstage verticality/depth seems more than the abyss to me with absolutely massive ariness. They sound absolutely incredible and i love them with less demanding music like acoustic and soft rock, but for demanding music with alot of bass like EDM/RAP/Metal they just sound underpowered and are lacking dynamics, punch and bass. I also have an Arya and Abyss 1266TC and have been rotating all 3 and the formula S/P drives those headphones perfectly in comparison. My next step is to try a bunch of endgame speaker amps and headphone amps with more power when i've saved up the money to see how much more the susvara scale :L3000:

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 10:48 PM Post #10,945 of 26,687
the formula s/powerman combo is spectacular with the abyss TC and quite good with the susvara...the bakoon 13r drives the susvara like the formulas combo drives the abyss IMHO

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:21 AM Post #10,947 of 26,687
I will definitely report back here.
Great thread with information no reseller can provide you
Great. Do!
They sound absolutely incredible and i love them with less demanding music like acoustic and soft rock, but for demanding music with alot of bass like EDM/RAP/Metal they just sound underpowered and are lacking dynamics, punch and bass.
Sounds about right.

Sep 9, 2021 at 12:40 AM Post #10,948 of 26,687
Sep 9, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #10,950 of 26,687
How much better is the Bakoon 13r vs the Benchmark AHB2? Also what aspects do they differ? Thanks.
@Sajid Amit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back