HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #9,676 of 25,637
That's because I moved back to Australia and haven't bothered to pick up a step converter yet so I can't power my Japanese 100V MC275 with Australia's 240V. The MC275 have been sitting in its box for the past 2 years :D.

I will buy a step converter again one day and wire everything up....eventually. For the interim it's been the WA11 that's been driving my Susvara. I've also driven it with a Denon AVR2313 receiver single ended (headphone out, rather than speaker taps) and it's fine but so far what I've enjoyed the most is out of the MC275.
Then the MC375 may indeed be a good way to go. I am eyeing it for the TC, Sus, and the Raal.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #9,677 of 25,637
That's because I moved back to Australia and haven't bothered to pick up a step converter yet so I can't power my Japanese 100V MC275 with Australia's 240V. The MC275 have been sitting in its box for the past 2 years :D.

I will buy a step converter again one day and wire everything up....eventually. For the interim it's been the WA11 that's been driving my Susvara. I've also driven it with a Denon AVR2313 receiver single ended (headphone out, rather than speaker taps) and it's fine but so far what I've enjoyed the most is out of the MC275.
Glad to hear things are ok, and you are still enjoying the Susvara! I'd recommend having a look at the iFi iDSD Diablo :)

Jun 30, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #9,679 of 25,637
Yeah, the Sus, for me, became way too laidback and “musical” with the Pass XA25.

One of my friends who heard it actually remarked, “Even Metallica sounds musical!”

Of course, Metallica is still somewhat musical, but the Sus with the XA25, has this extra midrange focus, which brings out vocal and string instruments, while drums hit less hard and riffs sound less biting and aggressive.

I imagine the XA25 would have worked reasonably well with the TC though, but I sold it off when I decided that the Accuphase was a sufficient solid state option for me.
A "relaxed" midrange is something I've associated with several Class A solid state designs I've heard over the years. Does seem to enhance the sense of depth in a soundstage.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:28 AM Post #9,680 of 25,637
Then the MC375 may indeed be a good way to go. I am eyeing it for the TC, Sus, and the Raal.

Note that I have (had? will have?) my MC275 for dual purposes - driving my B&W N804 speakers, and via an Orb switch selector, the Susvara. I wouldn't have gotten the MC275 to drive the Susvara alone.

Glad to hear things are ok, and you are still enjoying the Susvara! I'd recommend having a look at the iFi iDSD Diablo :)

Dang, I've been out of this hobby for way too long! I didn't even know about the Diablo. Thx for the tip!

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:47 AM Post #9,682 of 25,637
Note that I have (had? will have?) my MC275 for dual purposes - driving my B&W N804 speakers, and via an Orb switch selector, the Susvara. I wouldn't have gotten the MC275 to drive the Susvara alone.

Dang, I've been out of this hobby for way too long! I didn't even know about the Diablo. Thx for the tip!
Does the orb switch selector have some resistor or do you basically connect your susvara to the speaker output directly.

Usually tube amps aren't all too happy about the high load

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #9,683 of 25,637
Does the orb switch selector have some resistor or do you basically connect your susvara to the speaker output directly.

Usually tube amps aren't all too happy about the high load
I have the Hifiman HE-Adapter.

So the rig's basically Oppo BDP-105D -> XLR -> MC275 -> speaker taps -> Orb Switch
1) B&W N804
2) HE-Adapter -> Susvara

Yep, it's quite new :)

Where's Vincent when I need him :D!!

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 8:58 AM Post #9,684 of 25,637
I have the Hifiman HE-Adapter.

So the rig's basically Oppo BDP-105D -> XLR -> MC275 -> speaker taps -> Orb Switch
1) B&W N804
2) HE-Adapter -> Susvara

Where's Vincent when I need him :D!!
Thanks for clarifying

Jun 30, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #9,685 of 25,637
Has anyone used McIntosh amps with the Susvara at all? Looking at whatever used is out there given all the backorder issues. I've seen a few MC275's pop up over the past few weeks in varying condition. With a tube amp, I'd look into using Hifiman's adapter box to prevent any issues. Anyone else using a tube power or integrated amp?

I may have an original Mc225 on the trading block as I've just changed speakers. It's my favorite amp of all time. My heart says I'll never sell this amp but just keeping it for Susvara/ HE6/ K1000... my brain says maybe it's excessive.

Problem is I live in Canada lol.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #9,686 of 25,637

No worries man. I reviewed it a couple days ago, links in the gear section here or on my blog (link in my signature.) Great piece of gear if you want a portable Susvara option.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ifi-audio-idsd-diablo.24995/reviews

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #9,689 of 25,637
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #9,690 of 25,637
for those that have tried the 1266 and he6se when i read the comments on the mids of the 1266 being (somewhat) withdrawn i think of how i found the he6se and it’s v shape. I have never heard any abyss hps
apart from the 1266 having better detail is my comparison a fair comment or is the prestation of the music on the 1266 quite different?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back