HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 29, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #9,661 of 25,936
Please tell us when you figure it out, now that you hooked us up all, haha.

Here it is:

On both the balanced and single-ended stock cable, Tip = positive, Ring = not used, Sleeve = ground. So either a stereo or mono 3.5mm connector would work.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:56 AM Post #9,662 of 25,936
Interesting. Thank you gwos for the feedback. Much appreciated. Worth considering.

New Pass Labs gear in the UK is very expensive (i.e. customs duties, VAT etc) especially when compared with UK manufactured gear of similar to higher quality i.e. Chord Electronics range of Power Amps for instance. So I would definitely buy second hand Pass Labs gear.

Here's my March 18 posting about these two with the highlighted most interesting part:

In recent days I've been listening to and directly comparing Hifiman EF1000 (*) and Pass Labs XP-12/XA25. The Susvara on both sounds magic, the "ethereal" quality is shared by both amps, but I must confess that EF1000 sounds better to my ears, it's really the maestro. The difference is rather small though easily audible on A/B switching: EF1000 has a better defined low frequencies and a bit more body, its sound is a bit more sophisticated. Anyway, I'm not sure if I would ever hear the differences without having both amps side by side, so similar the sound is on both. However, since I do see the difference in price (so huge in my country, almost 6000 euros), I decided on the Pass combo.

On the attached picture from bottom left and clockwise you can see:
Luxman L-550, Linn LP12 Sondek, Susvara, Hifiman EF1000, AKG K1000, iFi iDSD Pro and iESL Pro, Pass Labs XA25 and XP-12, Luxman C-300, and Haiku Audio SEnsei 211 Special (a Polish construction).

(*) It turned out that the demo EF1000 didn't get sold as I thought before, so I was able to audition it once again (last time was in October 2020). In the meantime many things has happened, I've listened to some 40 amps with the Susvara in total, see the list below. I've learned a lot and it was crucial - at the end of the journey - to check EF1000 one more time. In October I wasn't prepared for its sound, now I was able to fully appreciate its beauty. Anyway, with the Pass combo, you can get as close as possible for much lower price.

20210316_103841.jpg

Jun 29, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #9,663 of 25,936
I have had similar experience with using my Chord Mezzo 140 Speaker Amp to power my Susvara's (with the Chord Prima Pre-Amp and without i.e. DAVE in digital pre-amp mode) and reviewing against the loaned Pathos Inpol Ear Headphone Amp.

They both give a great sound just a bit of a different sound signature with the Inpol Ear being a bit warmer due to the tubes on the input side and the Mezzo 140 being more clearer especially on the treble and especially when directly connected from the DAVE.

If I only had heard the Mezzo 140 on it's own I would be very happy.

I just hope the Hifiman EF1000 I have ordered and awaiting to arrive (2nd time around) is a lot lot better than my Mezzo 140 and the Inpol Ear connected to the Susvara otherwise I have wasted close to £10,000 for nothing !

I think you're going to enjoy it if you ever finally get it lol. I would just say try not to hype your expectations that much, but trust me I get it. If anything, you'll know that you have an amp that was specifically tailored for the Susvara that likely won't be outclassed by many, if any amp. Especially if you've taken your preferences into account as you've done your research. Good luck! :)

Cool. Glad you are enjoying the Sr1a. I also like mine, but I have to say, I liked it a tad more on first listen, lol.

I do plan to keep it though, because I can't imagine what I would replace it with. Not the LCD-4, nor the Utopia, and my D8000 is up for sale.

I would have to echo this entirely. I had the exact same experience. When I first heard the Sr1a, it was the greatest thing I ever heard lol. It has a huge wow factor, and I've seen a lot of people have the same initial reaction. For me, since having it a few months, that's settled down quite greatly. It's still amazing, particularly on a smaller subset of my music library, but there's definitely things that my other headphones do better.

But likewise, I have no intention of selling it. If anything, it's a really good one of a kind compliment to other TOTL headphones.

In my experience no one headphone does everything better than all others so compromise is always in play and that's why I always have at least 2 phones at any given time.
And, I've always been of the opinion that some genres of music play better and are more enjoyable on some phones than on others.
An individuals priorities in reproduced sound will also come into play.

Agree 100%.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #9,666 of 25,936
Has anyone used McIntosh amps with the Susvara at all? Looking at whatever used is out there given all the backorder issues. I've seen a few MC275's pop up over the past few weeks in varying condition. With a tube amp, I'd look into using Hifiman's adapter box to prevent any issues. Anyone else using a tube power or integrated amp?

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:15 PM Post #9,667 of 25,936
Has anyone used McIntosh amps with the Susvara at all? Looking at whatever used is out there given all the backorder issues. I've seen a few MC275's pop up over the past few weeks in varying condition. With a tube amp, I'd look into using Hifiman's adapter box to prevent any issues. Anyone else using a tube power or integrated amp?

I have tried a few McIntosh amps and they sound pleasant, warm, and laidback, overall.

One of my friends loves his MA8900 for being non-fatiguing.

I want to try the McIntosh tube hybrid amps with the TC: the 252 and the 352. The 352 is supposed to significantly better the 252. The 352 I am curious to try with the Sr1a as well.

I currently use the PrimaLuna EVO 200 with the Hifiman resistor box, or for the TC, directly from the HP out. Its all right, not bad. Lacks the bass tightness of my Accuphase e380 as well as the dynamic slam (although I hear the EVO 400 betters the 200 in that department). The EL34 tubes brings out the midrange and softens the treble a tad.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #9,668 of 25,936
I have tried a few McIntosh amps and they sound pleasant, warmth, and laidback, overall.

One of my friends loves his MA8900 for being non-fatiguing.

I want to try the McIntosh tube hybrid amps with the TC: the 252 and the 352. The 352 is supposed to significantly better the 252. The 352 I am curious to try with the Sr1a as well.

I currently use the PrimaLuna EVO 200 with the Hifiman resistor box, or for the TC, directly from the HP out. Its all right, not bad. Lacks the bass tightness of my Accuphase e380 as well as the dynamic slam (although I hear the EVO 400 betters the 200 in that department). The EL34 tubes brings out the midrange and softens the treble a tad.

Appreciate that. I read a few impressions that definitely mention warmth, but I'll take another pass to see if a lot of people are also mentioning that it's laid back (which I know can be a tube amp trait period). With the TC/Sr1a I could see that working out well, but with the Susvara I worry about pairing it with something that's too laid back.

And actually, I should inquire with my dealer about the Accuphase as well.

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #9,669 of 25,936
This is a Pelican iM2100. I tried a few sizes from Amazon and this one worked for me with better (much easier) clasps.

what are you going to put the source/dac/amp in dude? and are your old audiophile thumbs getting weak? (that's a little mean I know.. they are tough to open and I'm an old fart so I sympathise ..... still I couldn't resist ... please forgive my frivolity)

my case is a peli 1400 fyi (but of course susvara's aren't really "portable")

IMG_20210509_151931.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #9,670 of 25,936

I remember @AnakChan was using his MC275 with the Susvara and seemed to enjoy it, but I haven't seen him post in this thread lately.

Jun 29, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #9,671 of 25,936
Appreciate that. I read a few impressions that definitely mention warmth, but I'll take another pass to see if a lot of people are also mentioning that it's laid back (which I know can be a tube amp trait period). With the TC/Sr1a I could see that working out well, but with the Susvara I worry about pairing it with something that's too laid back.

And actually, I should inquire with my dealer about the Accuphase as well.
Yeah, the Sus, for me, became way too laidback and “musical” with the Pass XA25.

One of my friends who heard it actually remarked, “Even Metallica sounds musical!”

Of course, Metallica is still somewhat musical, but the Sus with the XA25, has this extra midrange focus, which brings out vocal and string instruments, while drums hit less hard and riffs sound less biting and aggressive.

I imagine the XA25 would have worked reasonably well with the TC though, but I sold it off when I decided that the Accuphase was a sufficient solid state option for me.

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #9,672 of 25,936
Yeah, the Sus, for me, became way too laidback and “musical” with the Pass XA25.
as a bit of a side note, i agree re the sus in general being a bit (kind of) laid back.

and that’s why for me i have sold a few of my headphones to get here to the susvara but have kept my utopias. I still consider the utopias musical (enough) but it gives me a different fuller and forward presentation relative to the susvara

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #9,673 of 25,936
as a bit of a side note, i agree re the sus in general being a bit (kind of) laid back.

and that’s why for me i have sold a few of my headphones to get here to the susvara but have kept my utopias. I still consider the utopias musical (enough) but it gives me a different fuller and forward presentation relative to the susvara
I can totally see that. What cables do you use with the Utopia?

Jun 29, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #9,674 of 25,936
I can totally see that. What cables do you use with the Utopia?
I’ve happily settled with the nordost heimdall 2.

I’m quite satisfied with the detail and weight and overall balance in sound that it gives

i may look at a new (norne) cable for my susvaras and get an adapter for the utopias but i’m quite happy with the nordost (silver plated copper)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #9,675 of 25,936
I remember @AnakChan was using his MC275 with the Susvara and seemed to enjoy it, but I haven't seen him post in this thread lately.
That's because I moved back to Australia and haven't bothered to pick up a step converter yet so I can't power my Japanese 100V MC275 with Australia's 240V. The MC275 have been sitting in its box for the past 2 years :D.

I will buy a step converter again one day and wire everything up....eventually. For the interim it's been the WA11 that's been driving my Susvara. I've also driven it with a Denon AVR2313 receiver single ended (headphone out, rather than speaker taps) and it's fine but so far what I've enjoyed the most is out of the MC275.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back