HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 10, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #9,136 of 25,872
Susvara is an ok performer but Primavera and TC is a considerable step up from the DIY T2 and 009 for most complete sound I've heard.

Hmm, would love to hear the 009+T2 someday. I've only heard it from the BHSE and while it was technically proficient, I was not very fond of the sound signature. I liked the 007 more though so I guess that kind of gives an idea of my preferred signature. IMO at a certain point we're starting to split hairs on performance between different headphones to the point where personal taste just overrules much else. I'd rate the Susvara nearly on the same level as the TC (which I just can't get because of comfort issues).

Lucky you though, Primavera is truly end game if there ever was one!

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #9,137 of 25,872
I will be getting the Susvara soon and am looking into amps for it. So far I'm leaning towards the gs-x mini because I've heard good things about the pairing. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, price limit about 3k. :)
There is a nearly new XI Audio Formula S currently for sale on Head-Fi at a great price and below your US$3k budget. Good reviews for the Formula S with the Susvara although from reviews seems to perform even better with the 1266 TC.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/xi-audio-formula-s.3342/

And you can always buy the additional Power Man unit for it when funds allow.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #9,138 of 25,872
I will be getting the Susvara soon and am looking into amps for it. So far I'm leaning towards the gs-x mini because I've heard good things about the pairing. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, price limit about 3k. :)
The other option instead of getting a dedicated headphone amp is to get either a separate pre-amp and speaker amp or an integrated speaker amp for your Susvara. Then oyu also have the flexibility to listen through speakers as well.

Jun 10, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #9,139 of 25,872
Hmm, would love to hear the 009+T2 someday. I've only heard it from the BHSE and while it was technically proficient, I was not very fond of the sound signature. I liked the 007 more though so I guess that kind of gives an idea of my preferred signature. IMO at a certain point we're starting to split hairs on performance between different headphones to the point where personal taste just overrules much else. I'd rate the Susvara nearly on the same level as the TC (which I just can't get because of comfort issues).

Lucky you though, Primavera is truly end game if there ever was one!
I, too, was never too fond of the BHSE. I like anything out of the T2 though. LMAO.

Sure. I like dogging the Sussy. Context is important. Susvara is 100% technical, 100% competent and in the discussion of top performers, just not mine due to the softer presentation.

There is no endgame.

There only exists intermittent delusion of satisfaction. :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 10, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #9,140 of 25,872
I would strongly recommend against a GS-X mini as well. It's a great amp but does not have the juice for sus and it ends up sounding somewhat soft.
Personally I really don't like the IHA-6. I found it fairly grainy and the claimed THD spec is pretty bad too so I can't see much reason to get it other than a nice build.

The Singxer SA-1 is affordable and does a respectable job with susvara (better than GS-X mini imo) and personally I'd get that until such time as you can move to a speaker amp. But honestly, with susvara, don't get it and plan to use a headphone amp permanently. It needs a speaker amp or exceptionally beefy headphone amp to shine its best.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming Holo headphone amp though. Jeff Zhu is using susvara to design it and given how wonderful the Serene sounds I'll definitely be getting one to try out.

Currently I'm using a benchmark AHB2 and that pairing is wonderful (was not keen on HPA4 though)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #9,141 of 25,872
Not the best combo. It will sound pleasant sure, but a higher current amp makes a difference, noticeably in staging and slam.
Having owned the Pendant, I agree with Sajid. It was a pleasnt amp. After upgrading to the Bigger Ben it was apparent that the Pendant was not enough to really make the Susvara shine.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #9,144 of 25,872
TBH this AudioDoctor guy's friend might have made a really amazing product, who knows. But frankly I am soooo turned off by how this product was introduced into this forum, it was a definite disservice to the programmer. I am definitely staying away until it's decided by the better majority that it has some merit.
My friend?

More evidence you did not bother reading any of the links I provided.

Jun 10, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #9,145 of 25,872
You are asking someone to send their $6000 headphones to a random stranger for who knows how long, which will cost them shipping fees + several hundred dollars to insure, to get it measured and then pay money for a set of EQ filters and more money for the software to use them. I think someone asking what the benefits of this are versus other already free available software or other features in other software people own already is has some merit.

And I read the forum, read the article and studied the graphs several times before I asked my questions. Please don't take me for being lazy. I may be stupid, but not lazy.

Anyway, I'll end it here.

Actually, I was asking someone to investigate for themselves all the info provided, heck even talk to Mitch themselves if they want, to find out why his approach is so much better than whatever you have on your GitHub and why a professional in the business who has been doing this for years can do amazing things.

Not blindly send someone their headphones...

edit "And I read the forum, read the article and studied the graphs several times before I asked my questions. Please don't take me for being lazy. I may be stupid, but not lazy."

I don't believe you.

Jun 10, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #9,146 of 25,872
There is a nearly new XI Audio Formula S currently for sale on Head-Fi at a great price and below your US$3k budget. Good reviews for the Formula S with the Susvara although from reviews seems to perform even better with the 1266 TC.

https://www.head-fi.org/classifieds/xi-audio-formula-s.3342/

And you can always buy the additional Power Man unit for it when funds allow.

Thanks for the advice, I'll try getting this hopefully it hasn't sold by monday!

Also thanks to everyone else for the great suggestions if I can't get the Xi Audio amp I'll definitely be looking into what you guys recommended :) Really glad I posted here before getting the gsx mini now!

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #9,147 of 25,872
I would strongly recommend against a GS-X mini as well. It's a great amp but does not have the juice for sus and it ends up sounding somewhat soft.
Personally I really don't like the IHA-6. I found it fairly grainy and the claimed THD spec is pretty bad too so I can't see much reason to get it other than a nice build.

The Singxer SA-1 is affordable and does a respectable job with susvara (better than GS-X mini imo) and personally I'd get that until such time as you can move to a speaker amp. But honestly, with susvara, don't get it and plan to use a headphone amp permanently. It needs a speaker amp or exceptionally beefy headphone amp to shine its best.

I'm pretty excited for the upcoming Holo headphone amp though. Jeff Zhu is using susvara to design it and given how wonderful the Serene sounds I'll definitely be getting one to try out.

Currently I'm using a benchmark AHB2 and that pairing is wonderful (was not keen on HPA4 though)

It puts out 4W and drives the Susvara with authority. I am confused to your comments here? I absolutely love this combination. FWIW, I found the AHB2 and HPA4 about the same too sonically with the Susvara.

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #9,148 of 25,872
The seller of the Xi Audio amp can't sell for two weeks. I saw a review somewhere that mentions the A90 amp positively with the Susvara and there's the Singxer SA-1 mentioned in this thread as well. I'd prefer an amp with XLR input because I have a cable for it that will work with the Susvara. If the Xi Audio amp is significantly better than the other options available right away I'll wait for it. There seems to be a lot of debate over amps for this headphone! Thanks for any help once again :) can't wait until I figure out this setup and hear it!

Jun 10, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #9,149 of 25,872
It puts out 4W and drives the Susvara with authority. I am confused to your comments here? I absolutely love this combination. FWIW, I found the AHB2 and HPA4 about the same too sonically with the Susvara.
All I can say is that I found the gsx mini and susvara combo to be considerably softer than with something such as a speaker amp. Which wasn't the case with other headphones so it's not the amp's inherent sound. (I loved the gsx with other headphones, its just with susvara specifically it sounded somewhat limp)

@Sajid Amit had a similar experience and moved to an Xa25 (now an accuphase I believe)

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:50 PM Post #9,150 of 25,872
All I can say is that I found the gsx mini and susvara combo to be considerably softer than with something such as a speaker amp. Which wasn't the case with other headphones so it's not the amp's inherent sound. (I loved the gsx with other headphones, its just with susvara specifically it sounded somewhat limp)

@Sajid Amit had a similar experience and moved to an Xa25 (now an accuphase I believe)

Still leaves me rather confused...I would never consider the GS-x min + Susvara as soft...even against speaker amps. Did you volume match? Different sources for the GS-X mini and your Benchmark amp?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back