HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 10, 2021 at 9:52 PM Post #9,151 of 26,664
The seller of the Xi Audio amp can't sell for two weeks. I saw a review somewhere that mentions the A90 amp positively with the Susvara and there's the Singxer SA-1 mentioned in this thread as well. I'd prefer an amp with XLR input because I have a cable for it that will work with the Susvara. If the Xi Audio amp is significantly better than the other options available right away I'll wait for it. There seems to be a lot of debate over amps for this headphone! Thanks for any help once again :) can't wait until I figure out this setup and hear it!
the a90 is a nice budget amp but not up to driving the susvara to anywhere near its potential

Jun 10, 2021 at 9:53 PM Post #9,152 of 26,664
Still leaves me rather confused...I would never consider the GS-x min + Susvara as soft...even against speaker amps. Did you volume match? Different sources for the GS-X mini and your Benchmark amp?
speaker amps seem to be all the rage here these days

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:27 PM Post #9,153 of 26,664
All I can say is that I found the gsx mini and susvara combo to be considerably softer than with something such as a speaker amp. Which wasn't the case with other headphones so it's not the amp's inherent sound. (I loved the gsx with other headphones, its just with susvara specifically it sounded somewhat limp)

@Sajid Amit had a similar experience and moved to an Xa25 (now an accuphase I believe)
All true.

The Mini on my rig maxed out on volume with the Sus + lacked the soundstage width a speaker amp provides (speaker amp in my definition includes the 13R @jlbrach uses). There was also a lack of dynamics.

The same was true for my ZMF auteur when A/B-ing between the two amps.

Another reviewer, @kmmbd tried out the two amps with the same results. His impressions linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/5365434436830157/

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:32 PM Post #9,154 of 26,664
speaker amps seem to be all the rage here these days

Lol, certainly doesn't jive with my experiences....Level set the volumes and make sure your sources/DACs are the same,
All true.

The Mini on my rig maxed out on volume with the Sus + lacked the soundstage width a speaker amp provides (speaker amp in my definition includes the 13R @jlbrach uses). There was also a lack of dynamics.

The same was true for my ZMF auteur when A/B-ing between the two amps.

Another reviewer, @kmmbd tried out the two amps with the same results. His impressions linked below.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/audioreviews/permalink/5365434436830157/

Well this reviewer, namely me (for Headphone.Guru) carefully volume matched and used the exact same sources and I couldn't understand this. And I've used some really good speaker amps (including the previously mentioned Benchmark, a McIntosh and a Pass Labs). Plus the ability to blow your drivers as speaker amps are NOT optimized for headphones still remains.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #9,155 of 26,664
All I can say is that I found the gsx mini and susvara combo to be considerably softer than with something such as a speaker amp. Which wasn't the case with other headphones so it's not the amp's inherent sound. (I loved the gsx with other headphones, its just with susvara specifically it sounded somewhat limp)

@Sajid Amit had a similar experience and moved to an Xa25 (now an accuphase I believe)

I like your videos !

How much current does the GSX mini put out, do you know ? How is the a90 with the susvara ?

Is susvara realllly on another level, say compared to the other HP in your signature ?

Jun 10, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #9,156 of 26,664
the a90 is a nice budget amp but not up to driving the susvara to anywhere near its potential
The seller of the Xi Audio amp can't sell for two weeks. I saw a review somewhere that mentions the A90 amp positively with the Susvara and there's the Singxer SA-1 mentioned in this thread as well. I'd prefer an amp with XLR input because I have a cable for it that will work with the Susvara. If the Xi Audio amp is significantly better than the other options available right away I'll wait for it. There seems to be a lot of debate over amps for this headphone! Thanks for any help once again :) can't wait until I figure out this setup and hear it!
The A90 can start you off with the Sus, but you will want to upgrade as soon as your finances allow. I started off my amp journey for the Sus with the A90.
Lol, certainly doesn't jive with my experiences....Level set the volumes and make sure your sources/DACs are the same,

Well this reviewer, namely me (for Headphone.Guru) carefully volume matched and used the exact same sources and I couldn't understand this. And I've used some really good speaker amps (including the previously mentioned Benchmark, a McIntosh and a Pass Labs). Plus the ability to blow your drivers as speaker amps are NOT optimized for headphones still remains.
Well, hello, fellow reviewer. 🙂

Yes, the risk does exist of blowing your driver.

I can only share what I hear. Of course both the Mini and my Accuphase e380 are driven by the same source, the Holo May. Volume matched by ear, so that’s there.

But the difference in performance between the Mini and the Accuphase e380 or the Pass XA25, when driving the Sus, wasn’t close.

The other person I linked also tested it on my setup.

In any case, am sharing my experience in case it helps, not to start a debate.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 12:28 AM Post #9,157 of 26,664
My friend?

More evidence you did not bother reading any of the links I provided.
I didn’t say I did. I don’t want to read it. I don't even want to click the link. No thanks. surely you can respect that.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #9,158 of 26,664
Enjoying this thread a lot as I consider pulling the trigger, endangering my marriage and buying a pair of susvaras. Looking at amps, I wandered has anyone tried this amp by Scottish boutique hifi builder Robson acoustics…
https://robsonacoustics.co.uk/robson-ha1/?

It looks a very interesting monobloc ncore design and not desperately pricey at £1800

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #9,159 of 26,664
Enjoying this thread a lot as I consider pulling the trigger, endangering my marriage and buying a pair of susvaras. Looking at amps, I wandered has anyone tried this amp by Scottish boutique hifi builder Robson acoustics…
https://robsonacoustics.co.uk/robson-ha1/?

It looks a very interesting monobloc ncore design and not desperately pricey at £1800
You could try using the XLR outputs from your Chord TT2 using a custom headphone cable to allow connection to your TT2. If that is not good enough for you (maybe due to lack of power), you could buy the Chord TToby and use for the Susvara's as well as being able to listen via speakers.

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #9,160 of 26,664
You could try using the XLR outputs from your Chord TT2 using a custom headphone cable to allow connection to your TT2. If that is not good enough for you (maybe due to lack of power), you could buy the Chord TToby and use for the Susvara's as well as being able to listen via speakers.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I listen to my utopia’s out the xlr’s so I’ll knock up another cable for these. The Toby is very interesting option too, thanks:)

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #9,161 of 26,664
Hi Bonesy,

I am also interested in getting a Chord TToby as one of my options for a potential amp upgrade path. I read however from the review link below that their Ttoby's cooling fan was noisy. May I ask if this is something you experience as well?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-ttoby

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #9,162 of 26,664
Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. I listen to my utopia’s out the xlr’s so I’ll knock up another cable for these. The Toby is very interesting option too, thanks:)
If it is any comfort to you I am a big Chord Electronics fan owning two full Choral Speaker Systems, one with a QBD76 and one with a DAVE and M Scaler set up with both having a Prima Pre-Amp, my UK system having one Mezzo 140 Power Amp and my Spanish system having two Mezzo 140's mono blocked.
I have used the Mezzo 140 Power Amp in my UK system with the Susvara and it is very good.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:10 AM Post #9,163 of 26,664
Hi Bonesy,

I am also interested in getting a Chord TToby as one of my options for a potential amp upgrade path. I read however from the review link below that their Ttoby's cooling fan was noisy. May I ask if this is something you experience as well?

https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/chord-ttoby
Hi Pashmeister, I hear the cooling fan from my Mezzo 140 in my UK system slightly in the background when no music is playing as it is approx. 3m away from me from where I sit. For my two Mezzo 140's in my Spanish speaker system I hear no cooling fan noise at all when no music is playing as they are well over 5m away from where I sit. I would guess if you have the TToby on your desk where you are sitting then yes the background noise may be annoying when no music is playing.
Best to try and get hold of a demo unit and see if the cooling fan noise in the background is annoying for you.

Jun 11, 2021 at 7:40 AM Post #9,164 of 26,664
Is susvara realllly on another level, say compared to the other HP in your signature ?
just to to throw 2 cents in (though i wasn’t asked :) )

i have owned the hekse, utopia, hd800, empyreans and yes the susvaras are realllly on another level (when driven well).

whether that level is a full step up or 1/2 a step up or a level that your preferences line up with (as “better“ is subjective) i personally believe it is a higher level.

same goes for lcd4 that i have demoed a number of times. Never heard any abyss hps

the susvaras satisfied my chase of transparency and naturalness
(though that satisfaction does not come cheap).

i still use the utopias when wanting a fuller/punchier sound and my hd800 with woo wa2 when i want a wide laid back sound with tubes whose sound is silky and smooth

but the details of the susvaras sound are outstanding

again, just my 2c

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #9,165 of 26,664
Dont get the Mini. I have often maxed out the volume on the Mini when running the Sus, and I wouldn’t say I listen particularly loud.

Its a wonderful little amp though but not for the Sus.

Under 3K, your best bets are as follows:
1. Cayin IHA-6 (more power and intended to have more current output than the Mini). Also cheapest of the lot.
2. Roksan K3 amps (integrated is a good option)
3. Some people use the Flux amps but I was not overly impressed
4. PrimaLuna EVO 200 with an HE-adapter from Hifiman (or a better DIY version)
5. The iFi Pro iCAN, although I liked it much better with the TC than the Susvara.

Of all the above, my highest recommendations are for 1 and 2, followed by 4.
Would there be any benefit in power of getting the IHA-6 over the THX 887? The IHA-6 says 5W into 32 ohm (high current) and 7W into 32 ohm (low current) while THX887 says 6W into 32 ohm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back