HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:42 AM Post #9,166 of 26,664
Would there be any benefit in power of getting the IHA-6 over the THX 887? The IHA-6 says 5W into 32 ohm (high current) and 7W into 32 ohm (low current) while THX887 says 6W into 32 ohm.
The IHA-6, when I heard it, seemed to have this dynamic quality to it, that the THX amps don’t. Some planars I tried appeared to sound punchy and “slammy,” more so than on the 887.

However, I tried it a bit of time ago.

Cameron mentions on this thread that he found the IHA-6, grainy. I compare notes with him frequently, on gear, so worth hearing what he may have to add. @GoldenOne.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #9,167 of 26,664
The IHA-6, when I heard it, seemed to have this dynamic quality to it, that the THX amps don’t. Some planars I tried appeared to sound punchy and “slammy,” more so than on the 887.

However, I tried it a bit of time ago.

Cameron mentions on this thread that he found the IHA-6, grainy. I compare notes with him frequently, on gear, so worth hearing what he may have to add. @GoldenOne.
I owned the iha6 for a while before i went to the taurus.
i found it to be great value for money.

I thought it was a very neutral sound until i bought the taurus and i now classify the iha6 as slightly on the brighter side of neutral, or maybe better a touch brighter than neutral
eg i found it a bit too lively with the utopias but great with the elears and lcd2 that i used to own back then.

i never tried it with the susvaras but if it has enough effective power to drive them well then the nature of the iha6 and susvaras should marry well imho

i would not personally call the iha6 grainy especially when considering their price but maybe that liveliness that it has and if one was being quite picky and ignoring the price then maybe they might call it grainy…..but not really if my memory serves me correct. I guess i am saying that i never thought of them as grainy.

Jun 11, 2021 at 1:28 PM Post #9,168 of 26,664
Someone is selling me their modded Flux Lab FA-10 and it seems to be a good match with the susvara according to the seller and reviews :) This leaves me with around $2k to upgrade my dac, right now I have a JDS Labs El Dac II but I was thinking of getting the chord qutest. I've seen a lot of people using it in this thread so hopefully the qutest is a good match, if anyone else has some input on a ~$2k dac it is welcome! Can't wait to hear these headphones! :)

Edit: I've come across the musician audio pegasus r2r dac and it seems good as well, researching the difference between r2r and delta-sigma

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #9,169 of 26,664
Someone is selling me their modded Flux Lab FA-10 and it seems to be a good match with the susvara according to the seller and reviews :) This leaves me with around $2k to upgrade my dac, right now I have a JDS Labs El Dac II but I was thinking of getting the chord qutest. I've seen a lot of people using it in this thread so hopefully the qutest is a good match, if anyone else has some input on a ~$2k dac it is welcome! Can't wait to hear these headphones! :)
Good review of the Flux Lab FA-10 with the Susvara :thumbsup:
https://www.headfonia.com/flux-lab-acoustics-fa-10-review/2/

Jun 11, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #9,170 of 26,664
I find the Susvara to not have the typical strength other hifi headphones have. Listening to something like Joe Bonamassa or Jimi Hendrix is a bit boring due to the softness. On the other hand things that usually sound boring on headphones like neo classical slow piano tracks sound beautiful. The airyness and smoothness give the headphone a dreamy character that might not work with every genre.

Jun 11, 2021 at 4:50 PM Post #9,177 of 26,664
I find the Susvara to not have the typical strength other hifi headphones have. Listening to something like Joe Bonamassa or Jimi Hendrix is a bit boring due to the softness. On the other hand things that usually sound boring on headphones like neo classical slow piano tracks sound beautiful. The airyness and smoothness give the headphone a dreamy character that might not work with every genre.
boring?huh?...

Jun 11, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #9,179 of 26,664
For me they are boring too on stock pads. Utopia are great example of energetic and engaging headphones.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #9,180 of 26,664
For me they are boring too on stock pads.
They're definitely more boring on the stock pads compared to the Dekoni fenestrated ones for me as well. I haven't touched the stock pads in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back