HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 26, 2021 at 10:52 AM Post #7,711 of 25,686
My incoming EF1000 is also a beast for power consumption, so guess I will be sweating in the summer months !

I read in a thread that a guy who has the monster Viva Egoista 845 only uses it in the winter months due to it's sheer heat output and uses a much smaller amp in the summer months !

Yes, that's what I'm using. It's great right now since it is still cool, but there's no way I'd use it during the (few) very hot days we have here. The large sides where the transformers are run about 140F (obviously the tubes themselves are much much hotter). Same on the XA25 though too, 140F, but it's power draw is much less than the Viva.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:13 AM Post #7,712 of 25,686
Is there any noise about a susvara successor coming any time soon? Sounds like this could be my ideal all rounder headphone but hesitant to pay TOTL money for something that could be coming to the end of its life cycle given its 4 years old

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:25 AM Post #7,713 of 25,686
I have heard nothing, but my gut-feeling tells me it's about time with a successor to the Susvara soon. I'm serious.

Mar 26, 2021 at 6:46 PM Post #7,714 of 25,686
My incoming EF1000 is also a beast for power consumption, so guess I will be sweating in the summer months !

I read in a thread that a guy who has the monster Viva Egoista 845 only uses it in the winter months due to it's sheer heat output and uses a much smaller amp in the summer months !
It's not that bad. At the very beginning it consumes 300 watts, after ten minutes it's consumption drops to 230 watts, after next ten minutes it's already 200, and later it stabilizes at the range 160-190 watts. But yes, it gets quite hot, but still not that bad and comparable to Pass Labs XA25.

Mar 26, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #7,715 of 25,686
Hi, another endorsement for the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, from me.

I was somewhere between skeptical to cautiously optimistic going into it, but ended up liking them immediately. The way I would characterize it is that it makes the Susvara sound a half-step closer to the Abyss Phi TC:

Bass is more taught, and this is the highlight for me. Stand-up bass sounds in jazz recordings sound consistently more articulate and satisfying. I'm not sure I can discern less bass in quantity as some have mentioned, but the lift in quality is very nice.

Mids sound raised somewhere, which also ends up reminding me just a shade of the TC as well (I'm not really a huge fan of the TC's mids). I'd call it a minor step back compared to the stock pads in this regard. But also not worth dwelling on too much.

Treble loses just a shade of the sweetness that I've always loved about the Susvara. I'm not sure if measurements bear this out, but that's how I perceive it thus far.

What else? Imaging is a little different. Possibly a greater feeling/illusion of depth. The tighter bass might play a role here. I really like it.

And just generally, the pads makes the Susvara sound a little faster, and a small shade more aggressive.

The mere fact that a 3rd-party pair of alternative earpads don't make the headphone sound tonally weird is a minor triumph, to be honest.

So yea, most definitely worth a buy, even just as an experiment. Truth be told, you can spend Susvara kind of money on an alternative amp and not hear changes that are as interesting of a listen as this earpad swap.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #7,716 of 25,686
I've made the mistake to listen to Susvara, and I cannot stop thinking about it. They are the best headphone I've to listen to, and I've listened to Orpheus!

I also wanted to share the following article: it appears D10 has a good synergy with susvara.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cos/3/

19.jpg

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:26 AM Post #7,717 of 25,686
I've made the mistake to listen to Susvara, and I cannot stop thinking about it. They are the best headphone I've to listen to, and I've listened to Orpheus!
Yup, they have ruined me for all other hp!
Sold the Empy, about to sell the VO, tried the D8000 Pro and Utopia. The Utopia were very good and I'm sure I could easily live with those if I hadn't heard the siren's call of the susvara!!!

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:36 AM Post #7,718 of 25,686
Yup, they have ruined me for all other hp!
Sold the Empy, about to sell the VO, tried the D8000 Pro and Utopia. The Utopia were very good and I'm sure I could easily live with those if I hadn't heard the siren's call of the susvara!!!
Utopia sounded too closed in and intimate, Susvara is just on a different level!

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:44 AM Post #7,719 of 25,686
Hi, another endorsement for the Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin pads, from me.

I was somewhere between skeptical to cautiously optimistic going into it, but ended up liking them immediately. The way I would characterize it is that it makes the Susvara sound a half-step closer to the Abyss Phi TC:

Bass is more taught, and this is the highlight for me. Stand-up bass sounds in jazz recordings sound consistently more articulate and satisfying. I'm not sure I can discern less bass in quantity as some have mentioned, but the lift in quality is very nice.

Mids sound raised somewhere, which also ends up reminding me just a shade of the TC as well (I'm not really a huge fan of the TC's mids). I'd call it a minor step back compared to the stock pads in this regard. But also not worth dwelling on too much.

Treble loses just a shade of the sweetness that I've always loved about the Susvara. I'm not sure if measurements bear this out, but that's how I perceive it thus far.

What else? Imaging is a little different. Possibly a greater feeling/illusion of depth. The tighter bass might play a role here. I really like it.

And just generally, the pads makes the Susvara sound a little faster, and a small shade more aggressive.

The mere fact that a 3rd-party pair of alternative earpads don't make the headphone sound tonally weird is a minor triumph, to be honest.

So yea, most definitely worth a buy, even just as an experiment. Truth be told, you can spend Susvara kind of money on an alternative amp and not hear changes that are as interesting of a listen as this earpad swap.

Ah I was doubtful and hesitant to try it.. but you pushed me over the fence. :)

Mar 27, 2021 at 1:02 AM Post #7,720 of 25,686
I got the Dekoni Fenestrated leather pads. I thought they were alright. I think the shallower dekoni pads than the stock cause some fit problems for me because my ears dont feel as pain-free as they do with the normal harmony pads that come with the Susvara. From a listening standpoint, I did find the mid-range to be a little more forward and bass to be a little tighter. I think I like the more spacious mid-range of the original pads more, though I can see people wanting a more intimate mid-range.

I don't know how many here care about squiggles, but I ran a comparison between the two pads shown here. The thicker pink line is the Dekoni Fenestrated.

Hifiman Susvara - Pads.png

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #7,721 of 25,686
The way I would characterize it is that it makes the Susvara sound a half-step closer to the Abyss Phi TC:
As I was playing around with the Dekoni pads I also tried to mimick the TC by lifting the pads a little to break the seal, and I immediately heard the bass increase to TC levels. It would be interesting to think of a way to create the same seal breaking option for the Susvara. But then again, I already have the TC. :)

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:13 AM Post #7,722 of 25,686

I also wanted to share the following article: it appears D10 has a good synergy with susvara.

https://6moons.com/audioreview_articles/cos/3/

19.jpg
Yes, same here....I have found the Susvara's the best headphones I have ever listened to and own.

But the big deep hidden rabbit hole is they do need good to excellent hifi equipment chain with the amp being capable of delivering a substantial amount of current to them at a low output impedance in order for them to sound like a very expensive headphone. Their scaling ability is amazing !

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #7,723 of 25,686
Yes, same here....I have found the Susvara's the best headphones I have ever listened to and own.

But the big deep hidden rabbit hole is they do need good to excellent hifi equipment chain with the amp being capable of delivering a substantial amount of current to them at a low output impedance in order for them to sound like a very expensive headphone. Their scaling ability is amazing !
Yup. Best, is right. 👍🏻

Mar 27, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #7,724 of 25,686
Mar 27, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #7,725 of 25,686

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back