HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 27, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #7,741 of 25,878
Haven't tried a switch box, but I have my speaker amps connected to my circumaurals and SR1a simultaneously. One with bananas and the other with spades on the same binding posts. It doesn't affect SQ at all.

I had that thought as well, good to hear from someone doing so. But the audible noise coming from the other headphones you're not listening to doesn't bother you while listening to the Raal with how open it is? I would guess it would be less of an issue or none at all with the TC/Susvara.

Mar 27, 2021 at 4:51 PM Post #7,742 of 25,878
Just an absolutely gorgeous amp. And great impressions. What you mentioned about the Utopia is a similar issue/problem I have with speaker amps right now but am thinking through. I simply refuse to add an additional speaker amp on top of the Woo given how good the Susvara is with it.. on top of how good the TC/others are as well. If the Susvara were my only headphone it would be no problem, but I need a single amp that can be used for the Susvara/Raal/TC altogether.

Question for anyone. Has anyone tried a switch box that would allow for multiple headphones without downgrading the sound quality?
About thirty years ago I wanted to experiment with driving my Sennheiser (580, as I recall) headphones with a Hafler power amp I'd originally built to drive my speakers, while leaving the amp connected to the speakers. I found a very high quality switch box manufactured by Bryston that simply took the output from the amp and routed it directly to either (or both) of two sets of output terminals. It had separate switches for each output and no electronics in between. The switches were rated to handle high current and operate noiselessly. It worked great, but wasn't cheap. I sold it a long time ago and don't recall the model number. I'm not sure if Bryston still makes such a device.

In any case, if you're just switching between headphones, I'd be more inclined to just unplug and swap them than to use a switch box.

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #7,743 of 25,878
Just need to get some spikes under the wheels....if the setup is to be taken really seriously

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:19 PM Post #7,744 of 25,878
Speaking Pass, it would be super cool to see say a DAP made by them :D

Sure, except it would be made out of a solid block of metal, run in class A and be too hot to hold in your hand and maybe have a separate metal block for the battery/power supply which would connect to the player via an umbilical cord. or maybe it'd be 3 metal blocks - power supply, and two mono DAP sections. And it would probably weigh at least 25lbs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 27, 2021 at 5:37 PM Post #7,745 of 25,878
About thirty years ago I wanted to experiment with driving my Sennheiser (580, as I recall) headphones with a Hafler power amp I'd originally built to drive my speakers, while leaving the amp connected to the speakers. I found a very high quality switch box manufactured by Bryston that simply took the output from the amp and routed it directly to either (or both) of two sets of output terminals. It had separate switches for each output and no electronics in between. The switches were rated to handle high current and operate noiselessly. It worked great, but wasn't cheap. I sold it a long time ago and don't recall the model number. I'm not sure if Bryston still makes such a device.

In any case, if you're just switching between headphones, I'd be more inclined to just unplug and swap them than to use a switch box.

I appreciate that. I'll look into that as well, sounds promising. The challenge with swapping them out is that the binding posts are on the back, which would just make it a pain to do so if on a rack/stand etc. I swap through 2-3 cans a session typically.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #7,746 of 25,878
I appreciate that. I'll look into that as well, sounds promising. The challenge with swapping them out is that the binding posts are on the back, which would just make it a pain to do so if on a rack/stand etc. I swap through 2-3 cans a session typically.
I use a short adapter cable with spades on one end and a female 4-pin on the other so I never have to access the rear of my amp. FWIW.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #7,747 of 25,878
Since the INT-60 has preamp outputs, I might suggest running those into the Apollon to try and get a better feel for the relative sonic contributions of the INT-60's preamp and power amp sections. I've never heard your Rockna DAC/pre or the INT-60, but some of the leaner character you report going from Rockna to Apollon may be due to having an additional preamp in the chain when running Rockna to INT-60. Or not, but it's relatively easy to test.

Regarding adding a tube preamp, I can heartily vouch for the ARC Reference 6SE, although it's $17k and I probably wouldn't have bought it solely for use with headphones (it's also the heart of my speaker rig). Smaller (and possibly previous generation) ARC preamps might fit the bill, but maybe not if you're looking for a lusher sound, as they tend to the analytical. Note that I use that term relative to many other tube preamps, not to solid state. I've personally never heard a solid state preamp that can reveal the harmonic textures of music like a great tube preamp can. I recently auditioned the Boulder 1110 hoping it might be the holy grail, but not even close to the ARC to my ears. Anyway, best of luck in your quest. Looking forward to further reports.

That was a good idea! I just tried it out. It was simple enough to do the comparison. Turns out, the INT-60 as a pre does confer some of its characteristics to the Apollon/overall sound.

Dac/int60(pre)/apollon is somewhere in between dac/apollon and dac/Int60. If I had to place it, I would say dac/int60(pre)/apollon is closer in sound to dac/apollon than it is to dac/Int60.

It seems like a good compromise, perhaps the best of both worlds kind of thing. I may aim for this sweet spot.

Did a bit more listening and it is quite interesting how different the sound is between dac/apollon vs dac/Int60.. The susvara sounds super relaxed and at ease with the Int60. On the other hand, there is so much speed, detail and transparency with the dac direct to apollon. I could probably live with either, but the Int60 presentation is just so damn appealing. I suppose if I wanted speed detail slam punch etc I'd just put on my TC..

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #7,748 of 25,878
20210328_060946.jpg

Fun times...

I wonder how my wife would react if I told her I was going to get an INT-60 and it would be like this setup exactly.. on a trolley, in the middle of the TV room, forever.

Mar 27, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #7,749 of 25,878
I use a short adapter cable with spades on one end and a female 4-pin on the other so I never have to access the rear of my amp. FWIW.
Ahhhhh, I'm glad I asked. Never would've even thought of that. Sounds even more practical, thank you!

Mar 28, 2021 at 12:08 AM Post #7,750 of 25,878
I had that thought as well, good to hear from someone doing so. But the audible noise coming from the other headphones you're not listening to doesn't bother you while listening to the Raal with how open it is? I would guess it would be less of an issue or none at all with the TC/Susvara.

It doesn't but I've made it a recent habit to disconnect the HP I'm not using. It's easy because of what's stated below.

@number1sixerfan ^ this is also what I do for traditional HPs.

Mar 28, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #7,751 of 25,878
Just an absolutely gorgeous amp. And great impressions. What you mentioned about the Utopia is a similar issue/problem I have with speaker amps right now but am thinking through. I simply refuse to add an additional speaker amp on top of the Woo given how good the Susvara is with it.. on top of how good the TC/others are as well. If the Susvara were my only headphone it would be no problem, but I need a single amp that can be used for the Susvara/Raal/TC altogether.

Question for anyone. Has anyone tried a switch box that would allow for multiple headphones without downgrading the sound quality?

I believe all will downgrading the sound quality a bit at least. The question is how much, and that will depend on the level of your audio system. Many years ago my lokal hifi shop had one switch box for speakers that he had made himself that was pretty good, but he also made and sold his own pre-amps, so he know what he was doing :)

Before I used a speaker amp with two speaker taps so I could select between speakers and headphones by just switching from speaker A or B on the amp.

Mar 28, 2021 at 11:01 AM Post #7,752 of 25,878
Sure, except it would be made out of a solid block of metal, run in class A and be too hot to hold in your hand and maybe have a separate metal block for the battery/power supply which would connect to the player via an umbilical cord. or maybe it'd be 3 metal blocks - power supply, and two mono DAP sections. And it would probably weigh at least 25lbs. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Yes, most likely it would be all that. But then again, we could also fry eggs on it :D

Not to mention that this monster of a DAP would most likely sound awesome... :sunglasses:

Last edited:
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Mar 29, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #7,754 of 25,878
Had my second extended audition with the 1266 Phi TC today. Wanted to buy it, but quite disappointed. Inexcusably thin, echoey, and hollow vocals; and sibilance on certain tracks, which play well on all my other HPs. The vocal timbre is also underwhelming - just doesn’t sound natural or engaging.

9CF71FBB-F9B2-4448-85FB-9BDAA7A6EEF8.jpeg

Mar 29, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #7,755 of 25,878
Had my second extended audition with the 1266 Phi TC today. Wanted to buy it, but quite disappointed. Inexcusably thin, echoey, and hollow vocals; and sibilance on certain tracks, which play well on all my other HPs. The vocal timbre is also underwhelming - just doesn’t sound natural or engaging.

9CF71FBB-F9B2-4448-85FB-9BDAA7A6EEF8.jpeg

Hey @Sajid Amit . Thanks for that info. I've been trying to chase down a TC myself. I guess what most people rave about is the bass slam, detail, soundstaging. How did you find those? I wonder if tubes would help out a bit too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back