HiFiMan Susvara
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7,771 of 26,665
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #7,772 of 26,665
Hear it for yourself and report back. I was quite surprised at how underwhelming its overall tuning is. Maybe I need to wash my ears. 🧼

But jokes aside, I am befuddled at the praise it receives. Bass slam is fun and the SS is larger than the Susvara’s on some tracks, but the overall presentation is incoherent, and those vocals are unmistakably thin, unnatural sounding, and unengaging given the price.

Switching from the 1266 to even the Auteur felt like going to vocals heaven.

I can understand the issues with the vocals. The mids/vocals are slightly recessed in comparison to the Susvara. I get around that simply by turning the music up lol. Still, it's annoying at times, especially if not truly adjusted and acquainted.

But I'd say if you're not noticing the detail, imaging, and holographic wow factor of the TC, all of which it does better than the Susvara, I would double check the fit. Also, not sure how long you have them, but comparing them for weeks/months is much different than trying them once or over a weekend--but that's my perspective for almost all of the TOTL headphones.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #7,773 of 26,665
Mar 29, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #7,774 of 26,665
Are you guys trying to tell us it all comes down to personal preferences and that this is all subjective??!!??

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #7,775 of 26,665
Susvara dull and boring?

giphy.gif

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #7,776 of 26,665
dull and boring...perhaps the choice of music is...the HP surely isnt

Mar 29, 2021 at 6:41 PM Post #7,777 of 26,665
Yes, it's all very subjective, but if you don't get the wow factor with the Abyss, something is probably wrong. Even when I got my new pair, it took a good 30 minutes for me to settle into a fit and then experienced the spine tingling, goose bump and ear-to-ear grin inducing sound that the Abyss are capable of.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:07 PM Post #7,778 of 26,665
I do think if hifiman is ever looking for a spokesman for the susvara that they should seek you out!
Lol. Why must we take others’ opinions on headphones so personally?
I am not insulting you, bro, chill.
The vocals on the 1266 Phi TC sounded unnatural, thin, and echoey to me, and I stand by this. Even the ZMF Auteur vocals trump the 1266 vocals, handily.
It’s not the absence of warmth. It is just thin and unnatural sounding.
Not that it matters to me if others agree, but another Head-Fier in this group used the same exact observations earlier in a private message to me. I won’t name him in case he is unwilling to share his views openly.
Even Joshua Valour, in his first 1266 Phi TC review, mentions a similar experience with its odd vocals.
We really need to avoid getting personal when others profess a liking or disliking of headphones.
You will probably feel better about yourself if you can. 🤗

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:10 PM Post #7,779 of 26,665
I can understand the issues with the vocals. The mids/vocals are slightly recessed in comparison to the Susvara. I get around that simply by turning the music up lol. Still, it's annoying at times, especially if not truly adjusted and acquainted.

But I'd say if you're not noticing the detail, imaging, and holographic wow factor of the TC, all of which it does better than the Susvara, I would double check the fit. Also, not sure how long you have them, but comparing them for weeks/months is much different than trying them once or over a weekend--but that's my perspective for almost all of the TOTL headphones.
Yes, the bass and the SS were all impressive. I wanted a headphone that slams like or harder than Focal headphones, after recently liking the Focal Clear on my Pass Labs XA25. Hence, the interest in the 1266 Phi TC.

5507A3B2-28E9-42FE-B0ED-E49DDBB831CC.jpeg

But for me the music in the midrange (I do like a well-done treble; the Final A8000 is my favorite IEM).

And the 1266 Phi TC vocals is surprisingly unnatural sounding given the price, in my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2021 at 11:17 PM Post #7,780 of 26,665
Yes, it's all very subjective, but if you don't get the wow factor with the Abyss, something is probably wrong. Even when I got my new pair, it took a good 30 minutes for me to settle into a fit and then experienced the spine tingling, goose bump and ear-to-ear grin inducing sound that the Abyss are capable of.
Yeah, bro. I was hoping to get the wow factor. I think that for me: the overall presentation appears to matter more (the sum of the parts), and tuning of the 1266 just didn’t convince me. I have seen FR graphs in a different group, which also seem wonky. Someone posted it recently. I will send that to you, via a private message.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:23 PM Post #7,781 of 26,665
Yeah, bro. I was hoping to get the wow factor. I think that for me: the overall presentation appears to matter more (the sum of the parts), and tuning of the 1266 just didn’t convince me. I have seen FR graphs in a different group, which also seem wonky. Someone posted it recently. I will send that to you, via a private message.
No worries Sajid. I am not offended by your taste not matching mine, but you know I've heard my share of headphones and I don't put the 1266 TC at my number 1 spot for nothing. I can't help but think we are listening for completely different things from headphones or that the presentation you heard on your 1266 TC doesn't match mine, which is more likely what I figure is the case. If you are ever around DC, hit me up. I want you to sit in my chair, with my Abyss hat (trademark pending) on that sweet bald head of yours, with the Abyss plugged into my entirely battery powered equipment, and then tell me that you still don't like them. Only then will I believe you, until then I will be disappointed in your impressions of the Abyss.
:)

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #7,782 of 26,665
No worries Sajid. I am not offended by your taste not matching mine, but you know I've heard my share of headphones and I don't put the 1266 TC at my number 1 spot for nothing. I can't help but think we are listening for completely different things from headphones or that the presentation you heard on your 1266 TC doesn't match mine, which is more likely what I figure is the case. If you are ever around DC, hit me up. I want you to sit in my chair, with my Abyss hat (trademark pending) on that sweet bald head of yours, with the Abyss plugged into my entirely battery powered equipment, and then tell me that you still don't like them. Only then will I believe you, until then I will be disappointed in your impressions of the Abyss.
:)
Yes, that’s entirely possible that we are looking for different things in a sonic presentation

That sweet bald head did love the 1266 for comfort I have to say. Lol.

Thanks for the invite, my friend.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:31 PM Post #7,783 of 26,665
Yes, that’s entirely possible that we are looking for different things in a sonic presentation

That sweet bald head did love the 1266 for comfort I have to say. Lol.

Thanks for the invite, my friend.
Isn't that strange? Most people think the Abyss are uncomfortable, they're not at all! They're finicky about the fit, but once you settle on a good fit, you can wear them for hours because they just float around your head. Just don't try head-banging.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #7,784 of 26,665
Isn't that strange? Most people think the Abyss are uncomfortable, they're not at all! They're finicky about the fit, but once you settle on a good fit, you can wear them for hours because they just float around your head. Just don't try head-banging.
I also love how it looks.

Basically, I am looking to buy another headphone since I sold some IEMs.

My next two contenders are the Focal Utopia and the Hifiman R10-Planar.

Mar 29, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #7,785 of 26,665
I also love how it looks.

Basically, I am looking to buy another headphone since I sold some IEMs.

My next two contenders are the Focal Utopia and the Hifiman R10-Planar.
The Utopia out of a tube amp is really nice. Didn't like it out of any SS amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back