HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:34 PM Post #3,781 of 25,550
About the 2 $50,000+ elephants in the room...

It strikes me as a bit ironical that we have been discussing the "pinnacle of personal audio," and the possibility of going beyond that pinnacle, and yet no-one has even mentioned the two leading candidates (at least, in my view) that the industry itself seems to have gone all out to create as the no-holds-barred "statement" technologies of headphone listening at its finest, namely,

the Sennheiser He-1 :

sennheiser-he-1-headphones-opening.gif

and...

the hifiman Shangri-la :

ca8c2262e1ab4b3c8e4d19d1d1c9c899.gif
hifiman-shangri-la-amplifier-headphones__76834.1572272696.jpg

i mean, I literally find it to be a little strange that neither of these two beasts has been mentioned, in a discussion involving what one might possibly get if one wants to move beyond the Susvara: The discussion seems to have stalled around the face-off between the Susvara itself, and the Abyss TC, as if either one or the other represented the last word in headphone listening pleasure, without any possible exceptions:

@MacedonianHero 's bold statement seems to sum up this position best:

There is no moving on beyond these headphones...they are at the pinnacle of personal audio IMO. :)

From what I am seeing, it seems most subsequent posters agree with that sentiment. But why should there be no moving on beyond the Susvara and the Abyss TC, when the He-1 and the Shangri-la seem very deliberately, and very loudly, designed to make the very opposite claim?

It seems to me, very weirdly, I might add, that posters on this forum have deemed these two candidates to be off-limits in the discussion, by some unannounced consensus, but why? :

1. Is it because they're considered to be too expensive to be affordable by most posters, and to be therefore irrelevant in such discussions? Or...

2. Is it because they are considered to be overhyped, overrated, and over-produced, "white elephant," products whose cosmetic looks and price points exaggerate or misrepresent the quality of their actual. performance? or, to put it more bluntly,

3. Is it because posters think that they both sound inferior to the Susvara and Abyss TC, in spite of all the exaggerated fanfare of their "production values"? ...

4. Or is it because too few posters here have actually auditioned these two, and hence, know too little to say anything meaningful about them, and especially, about how they might compare with either the Susvara or the Abyss TC...?

But if you have never heard enough of these to make an informed judgement, why maintain or insist so obstinately on the absolute or unsurpassable superiority of the Susvara and/or the Abyss TC?

In short, what gives?

I am sure I can generate even more puzzling questions about the weird absence of these two "elephants" in this discussion, but they're, at least, no longer absent, so I shall stop here and listen to what posters think about their previous omissions.

My smiley' s here, although I am not necessarily kidding :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:38 PM Post #3,782 of 25,550

It strikes me as a bit ironical that we have been discussing the "pinnacle of personal audio," and the possibility of going beyond that pinnacle, and yet no-one has even mentioned the two leading candidates (at least, in my view) that the industry itself seems to have gone all out to create as the no-holds-barred "statement" technologies of headphone listening at its finest, namely,

the Sennheiser He-1 :

and...

the hifiman Shangri-la :

ERNJiXYRa6PnPe.jpg

i mean, I literally find it to be a little strange that neither of these two beasts has been mentioned, in a discussion involving what one might possibly get if one wants to move beyond the Susvara: The discussion seems to have stalled around the face-off between the Susvara itself, and the Abyss TC, as if either one or the other represented the last word in headphone listening pleasure, without any possible exceptions:

From most I am seeing, it seems most subsequent posters agree with that sentiment. But why should there be no moving on beyond the Susvara and the Abyss TC, when the He-1 and the Shangri-la seem very deliberately, and very loudly, designed to make the very opposite claim?

It seems to me, very weirdly, I might add, that posters on this forum have deemed these two candidates to be off-limits in the discussion, by some unannounced consensus, but why? :

1. Is it because they're considered to be too expensive to be affordable by most posters, and therefore be irrelevant in such discussions? Or...

2. Is it because they are considered to be overhyped, overrated, and over-produced, "white elephant," projects whose cosmetic looks and price points exaggerate or misrepresent the quality of their actual. performance? or, to put it more bluntly,

3. Is it because posters think that they both sound inferior to the Susvara and Abyss TC, in spite of all the exaggerated fanfare of their "production values"? or ...

4. Or is it because too few posters here have actually auditioned these two, and hence, know too little to say anything meaningful about them, and especially, about how they might compare with either the Susvara or the Abyss TC...?

But if you have never heard enough of these to make an informed judgement, why maintain or insist that the absolute or unsurpassable superiority of the Susvara and/or the Abyss TC?

In short, what gives?

I am sure I can generate even more puzzling questions about the weird absence of these two "elephants" in this discussion, but they're, at least, no longer absent, so I shall stop here and listen to what posters think about their previous omissions.

cause theres probaly 5 people in the world that own them and they arent on headfi...

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #3,783 of 25,550

the Sennheiser He-1 :

and...

the hifiman Shangri-la :

ERNJiXYRa6PnPe.jpg

From most I am seeing, it seems most subsequent posters agree with that sentiment. But why should there be no moving on beyond the Susvara and the Abyss TC, when the He-1 and the Shangri-la seem very deliberately, and very loudly, designed to make the very opposite claim?

1. Is it because they're considered to be too expensive to be affordable by most posters, and therefore be irrelevant in such discussions? Or...

2. Is it because they are considered to be overhyped, overrated, and over-produced, "white elephant," projects whose cosmetic looks and price points exaggerate or misrepresent the quality of their actual. performance? or, to put it more bluntly,

3. Is it because posters think that they both sound inferior to the Susvara and Abyss TC, in spite of all the exaggerated fanfare of their "production values"? or ...

But if you have never heard enough of these to make an informed judgement, why maintain or insist that the absolute or unsurpassable superiority of the Susvara and/or the Abyss TC?

In short, what gives?

I've heard the Shangri-la setup years ago and loved it. Though it still didn't get to ortho-level bass to my ears. For some these are definitely there, but for the vast majority, just way too far outside anyone's attainable price point that they don't even enter anyone's mind. But you are correct...killer setups. Love the .gif of the HE-1...super sexy! But all that marble and automated tubes and cover don't help the sound quality.

cause theres probaly 5 people in the world that own them and they arent on headfi...

Maybe a few more than 5, but exactly. :)

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #3,784 of 25,550
D8 Pro does sound quite good, but not as good.

Originally when I'd heard the first D8 in Warsaw I was instantly blown away and wanted to buy them on the spot. This infatuation was on for quite a while. But then my buddy showed me Susvara and from one day to another I forgot about those finals. Several weeks ago I compared both briefly (the original, not D8 pro) and it sounded very good, but not Susvara good.

Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 6, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #3,785 of 25,550

the Sennheiser He-1 :

and...

the hifiman Shangri-la :

ERNJiXYRa6PnPe.jpg

But if you have never heard enough of these to make an informed judgement, why maintain or insist so obstinately on the absolute or unsurpassable superiority of the Susvara and/or the Abyss TC?

In short, what gives?

That HE1 gif is really awesome.
The shangri la one is broken.

I never had the pleasure to listen to them, being electrostats I wonder if they actually can reproduce Bass as well as the Susvara and Abyss

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #3,786 of 25,550
Originally when I'd heard the first D8 in Warsaw I was instantly blown away and wanted to buy them on the spot. This infatuation was on for quite a while. But then my buddy showed me Susvara and from one day to another I forgot about those finals. Several weeks ago I compared both briefly (the original, not D8 pro) and it sounded very good, but not Susvara good.

Exactly my thoughts too. :)

Jun 6, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #3,787 of 25,550
The HE-1 and Shangri-La are not the pinnacle. You can easily spend more on dCS separates, WA33 EE, MSB dacs, etc. and arguably have better sound quality when using TCs or Susvaras

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #3,788 of 25,550
The HE-1 and Shangri-La are not the pinnacle. You can easily spend more on dCS separates, WA33 EE, MSB dacs, etc. and arguably have better sound quality when using TCs or Susvaras
By mentioning other components in the chain, it seems to me that you're complicating the debate exponentially, since each added component also comes with its own competiont of possible rival components. I think it would be more helpful to keep things a lot more simple, by comparing headphone or headphone sets with other headphone sets, DACs with other DACs, Amps with amps, etc. etc. At any rate, are you saying the He-1 and the Shangri-la too cannot be accessorized, whether upstream or downstream, with additional components that might improve their sound quality?

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #3,789 of 25,550
By mentioning other components in the chain, it seems to me that you're complicating the debate exponentially, since each added component also comes with its own competiont of possible rival components. I think it would be more helpful to keep things a lot more simple, by comparing headphone or headphone sets with other headphone sets, DACs with other DACs, Amps with amps, etc. etc. At any rate, are you saying the He-1 and the Shangri-la too cannot be accessorized, whether upstream or downstream, with additional components that might improve their sound quality?
I guess in this case it would make sense to take the amp into consideration.
Since Shangri La and He1 come both with their own unique amp.

Also can someone lose a few words about Susvara on the EF1000 vs Wa33?

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:20 PM Post #3,790 of 25,550
You're right, I am making it more complicated. I guess we should look at amp and headphones to amp and headphones. With the Susvaras and TCs, you can use a wide variety of amps, some of which could cost more than the HE-1 combo (especially if we move into speaker amps).

I've often thought, would I trade in all of my equipment and headphones for the HE-1? Every time, I come to the conclusion that I wouldn't

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2020 at 3:34 PM Post #3,791 of 25,550
That HE1 gif is really awesome.
The shangri la one is broken.

I never had the pleasure to listen to them, being electrostats I wonder if they actually can reproduce Bass as well as the Susvara and Abyss

It s strange, but the Shangri-la gif does not look broken on my screen. At any rate I have attempted some kind of fix. I hope it works.

Jun 6, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #3,792 of 25,550
It s strange, but the Shangri-la gif does not look broken on my screen. At any rate I have attempted some kind of fix. I hope it works.
Now it works for me as well

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,793 of 25,550
I guess in this case it would make sense to take the amp into consideration.
Since Shangri La and He1 come both with their own unique amp.

Also can someone lose a few words about Susvara on the EF1000 vs Wa33?

FWIW, I had a WA6-se and it is awesome, unfortunately it just couldnt drive the susvara, drove my HE1000se just fine and beautifully..

Jun 6, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #3,794 of 25,550
FWIW, I had a WA6-se and it is awesome, unfortunately it just couldnt drive the susvara, drove my HE1000se just fine and beautifully..

Yeah the Wa6-Se has "only" 2 Watts per channel.
The WA 33 is a beast though, which is easily capable of driving the Susvara and TC

Did you ever listen to the empyrean on your WA6SE?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back