HiFiMan Susvara
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:05 PM Post #3,813 of 25,620
Not so much the slam in that region, it just tends to linger quite a bit longer than called out for.
I guess you would say the mini works well with the Susvara, with the HPA4 even better, if you can swing the price?

Jun 10, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #3,815 of 25,620
Exactly my thoughts too. :)
:beerchug:

Bakoon AMP-13R is the best I've heard w/ Susvara. I ended up buying one after an extensive demo. If anyone is interested in buying one please feel free to PM me. :)

Congrats and that's money well-spent. Just wait until you hear what it does with good speakers.

Last edited:
Forza AudioWorks Stay updated on Forza AudioWorks at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://forzaaudioworks.com/en
Jun 10, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #3,816 of 25,620
I guess you would say the mini works well with the Susvara, with the HPA4 even better, if you can swing the price?

I would say both are stellar with the Susvara. The HPA4 is a bit more nimble and neutral while the GS-X mini has an inviting warmth and imaging that just seems so right. Both have the same amount of power output and in the end it depends on my music and mood.

Jun 10, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #3,818 of 25,620
I had the GS-1 it didnt really impress me much...

I really liked it for its transparency (got out of the way of the music) and great holographic imaging. That said, it is a 12+ year old amp/design and has been surpassed by many newer releases. It had 1W max output and wouldn't be ideal for the Susvara.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #3,819 of 25,620
I really liked it for its transparency (got out of the way of the music) and great holographic imaging. That said, it is a 12+ year old amp/design and has been surpassed by many newer releases. It had 1W max output and wouldn't be ideal for the Susvara.
I dint have it with susvara, I had it with the HD800s, HD820 and HE1000se. Seems too focus around the mids that it lost all sense of sound stage (from what I remember) mine were upgraded with the dynalo module, not sure how much that impact the sound quality.

Jun 10, 2020 at 10:48 PM Post #3,820 of 25,620
I dint have it with susvara, I had it with the HD800s, HD820 and HE1000se. Seems too focus around the mids that it lost all sense of sound stage (from what I remember) mine were upgraded with the dynalo module, not sure how much that impact the sound quality.

When paired with a top notch DAC, the GS-1 would shine. That is the downfall with a very transparent amplifier.

Jun 10, 2020 at 11:54 PM Post #3,821 of 25,620
For fun, have a look at the measurements on innerfidelity.com.

Have you heard it? I liked the predecessor but I think the V281 went too far in the darker/warm direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #3,822 of 25,620
For fun, have a look at the measurements on innerfidelity.com.

Yep, no 'inflated mid-bass' as you stated at all - measures completely 100% flat there:

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 8.59.08 PM.jpg

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:03 AM Post #3,823 of 25,620
That’s flat? ??? The FR is only part of the picture and that is a pretty poor one. It was the other measurements (noise and distortion) that I was pointing to.

Here's how it should look:
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/HeadAmpGSXmk2.pdf
vs.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ViolectricV281.pdf

Notice the difference in both noise and distortion in the mid-bass - mids region of the V281 compared to the HeadAmp? Quite profound.

And the bloom went way too far and made it sound on the sloppy side of things compared to even its predecessor (which I did like).

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #3,824 of 25,620
That’s flat? ??? The FR is only part of the picture and that is a pretty poor one.

And the bloom went way too far and made it sound on the sloppy side of things compared to even its predecessor.

You stated it has 'inflated mid-bass'. That does not show up in the measurments at the site you said to go look at.

Inflated mid-bass would look like a big or even small upside down U around 200Hz or so.

Jun 11, 2020 at 12:10 AM Post #3,825 of 25,620
You stated it has 'inflated mid-bass'. That does not show up in the measurments at the site you said to go look at.

Inflated mid-bass would look like a big or even small upside down U around 200Hz or so.

The excess in this region does show up in the graphs. This added noise/distortion (also shown in the graphs) inflate the bloom and presence in this region to an overly warm tonality in the mid bass frequency range. In the end, that took away from the overall experience. It was there regardless of the DAC that I used (Benchmark DAC3, Holo Spring L3, Metrum Hex, and even my Chord DAVE). In the end with headphones like the Susvara, this added distortion would only take away from their incredible inner detail and transparency.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back