HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 11, 2019 at 11:47 AM Post #2,821 of 25,601
Aug 11, 2019 at 3:22 PM Post #2,822 of 25,601
Naaaa, she won't understand.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #2,823 of 25,601
I wonder how the dCS Debussy compares to the CHORD DAVE WITH the HUGO Upscaler?

The Debussy was a economic/stripped down version of the Scarlatti, which debuted in 2007.

I would venture to say that 12+ year old tech probably doesn't hold up to the latest cutting edge products out now.

If anything the few comparisons I seen of the Debussy, people talked about how it just bettered the Schitt Yggdrasil, but nothing on the level of the Dave.

Aug 12, 2019 at 12:16 PM Post #2,825 of 25,601
We often poop Hifiman on build quality which is valid, but I do want to commend Hifiman on their continued great support and customer service. This has always been the case since I had their HEX then HeK V2.

The leather part of my ear pads started to wear out. Contacted Hifiman with picture and serial card, they are sending me new earpads no questions asked. The rest of my Susvara still looks brand new since I bought it just over 1 year ago. I never keep gear this long, and as of recently, I haven't been listening to music that much. I just can seem to sell the Susvara. Sometimes life gets hectic, I just put them on and go to a different place.

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,827 of 25,601
I just received the adaptors from Norne audio, it is crazily good in its build quality! Its a abyss-susvara adaptors.

I have not test the sound yet as my Memory player 64 has sent to upgrade the os and hardware. But what can I say is even the adapter, Trevor made it one of the best, I will certainly post a feedback after trying.

Left is Norne audio, middle and right is local builders...

It is way better than the right one, the builder said the ATL plug is hard to solder and hard to trim it to that small, however Trevor did a great job. The middle one is Rean female plug with furutech 2.5mm

For your info, both male and female plugs are from ATL with the crazy plating which is 4 layers CU/AG/AU/RH plated. The only audiophile female mini 3pin plug from the world should only be the ATL one. (Correct me if I was wrong, as I could not find any others)

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #2,829 of 25,601
I am working on a comparison review between Susvara, Abyss Phi, and Stax 009. Thought I share some pictures with the Susvara brothers and sisters.

Sorry about the watermarks. It's a joke with my photography forums. Forgot to remove it. :)
y4mK53wWuLIBDWO7_2IfWBzyzRXgidAIlmSwYzhZJdEF0Ekgu7Ajee7wzJNhOY2Eds_cI92W9WIzcOqEx2IiDqsGFPFOHPPD04V6YB2VmKklaIdXSYqPqt3wNM_mer2TqlwEhrRMDnO6p_B-jJQ5q1uBuTSQdB7rPVYTrrDQS9iXLa7CyX3di4CgVxyDFQvV7PmcXwF648k8gdd1HpFl21KsA

y4mF2fnMlRETHpEzait0dZJXck4cvGFVDpf2dYZMgmVL-qH3VeMT_LjSjbDVvhizWDm6zWe0ilZ7awVCpknYf6fqniaN6RCHuUpaEy-KcyYxmjjd5bJrRnzw67uGt0O4OWvvvPDBLbJZmk3cXWDasUkWWxEUnZRgcTZMo8xoeGOTeUAkM4emf-WLURYX1T-Imcl8k9CDPrTtMVUzJCTyPUE3A

Aug 18, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #2,830 of 25,601
From my own experience, I prefer to connect a variable DAC to the amp Solista which is a speakers amp. Connected to Susvara with DHC Prion4 having spades on one end.
The DV2 is able of a lot of natural rendering and its qualitative analog volume allows to downscale the input very low (under 1V) to the amp avoiding any saturation. The Viva Solista here is ‘ear’ tuned to match Susvara requirements for best performance.

G8G1a.jpeg

Aug 19, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #2,832 of 25,601
I wonder how the dCS Debussy compares to the CHORD DAVE WITH the HUGO Upscaler?

I would venture to say that 12+ year old tech probably doesn't hold up to the latest cutting edge products out now.
If anything the few comparisons I seen of the Debussy, people talked about how it just bettered the Schitt Yggdrasil, but nothing on the level of the Dave.

Sorry that I've been pretty busy for past few days and did not have enough time to listen. For these two DACs, here's my impression:

Chord Dave has typical modern sounds, with brighter treble (sometimes too bright, I can hardly bear the treble on some vocal tracks though Dave>Mark 380L>FM 711>Hifiman HE6se combination), wider soundstage, and higher "contrast level" that makes lots of details are emphasized which can be easily revealed.

In contrast, dCS Debussy sounds more traditional and musical, with fuller midrange, the "contrast level" is lower, just like a photo shot by Leica camera, you can track all the details & dynamics in histogram but nothing is emphasized, looks more natural, extends your listening time.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of old gears (wadia, meridian...), but here Debussy is definitely my personal choice for my current system.

photocomp.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2019 at 1:40 PM Post #2,834 of 25,601
Which one is your no#1?

It's tough between 009 and Susvara. The detail of the 009 when driven with good dac/amp is pretty impressive. The other 2 are not lacking in detail. They can all sound very natural. The Susvara is probably the most euphoric sounding of all 3. The Phi really doesn't standout. It does everything well and punches the hardest out of all 3, but the sound stage is small and has less detail than Susvara and 009. It's the least comfortable and heaviest of all 3. I think if I owned Susvara, there is not enough for me to get 009. If I have 009, I don't think I would go get Susvara. The Suvara is the most comfy out of all 3, so I have to pick one it would probably be the Susvara. I'm slightly biased since I own it for a year now.

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:12 PM Post #2,835 of 25,601
It's tough between 009 and Susvara. The detail of the 009 when driven with good dac/amp is pretty impressive. The other 2 are not lacking in detail. They can all sound very natural. The Susvara is probably the most euphoric sounding of all 3. The Phi really doesn't standout. It does everything well and punches the hardest out of all 3, but the sound stage is small and has less detail than Susvara and 009. It's the least comfortable and heaviest of all 3. I think if I owned Susvara, there is not enough for me to get 009. If I have 009, I don't think I would go get Susvara. The Suvara is the most comfy out of all 3, so I have to pick one it would probably be the Susvara. I'm slightly biased since I own it for a year now.

the soundstage is small on the Phi?...really?..are you sure you are listening to the abyss phi because the soundstage is quite a bit larger than the susvara.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back