HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 30, 2022 at 9:23 PM Post #14,041 of 25,551
Not sure if this has been reported before, but I haven't seen it yet so I am providing my own impressions. I just picked up a Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse to give my IEMs some nice tube sound. The first thing I noticed is that it is a very dark amp especially when using its internal DAC and streaming Tidal via USB from my laptop. Then, I paired it through its 3.5mm input with my Hiby RS6 with its R2R DAC and true 3.5mm line out. This pairing is excellent while maintaining a warm and musical sound signature. The WA8 is a truely transportable tube amp and has that gooey euphonic sound that does a nice job of expanding sound stage and imaging in a 3D manner for my IEMs. When it gave my HD800S a really nice bass response, I decided to see what it could to with my Susvara. I was very surprised that it sounded pretty good. Punchy, full and non compressed. It was much better than I expected especially given its power rating. I wanted to confirm my impressions to make sure I wasn't listening to fool's gold, so I did quite a bit of A/B testing with my normal Susvara set up of Chord Hugo TT2 with M Scaler and Ampsandsound Rockwell. As expected, this full desktop set up was much better giving a fuller and more complete and resolving sound. But, the bass response is a little more punchy with slightly better slam with the WA8. Since the Rockwell is more mids focused, this was not surprising. I then, compared it with my DX300 with AMP12 and the Cayin C9. And, I paired the Susvara directly with the DX300 and RS6. I concluded that on a scale of 1-10 where 1 is horrible and 10 is pure bliss with 5 being minimally acceptable for listening, that the RS6 and DX300 was about 2 due to the lack of power. The DX300 + C9 was a 4.5-5, but sounded very compressed for most tracks making it not listenable, the RS6 + WA8 is about a 6 and the TT2, CMS, Rockwell is 8-8.5. The WA8 sounds decent with most of my music, but at times it lacked fullness and sounded a bit thin. Otherwise, the RS6 + WA8 is the first portable system that I have found that I would be able to reasonable travel with if I wanted listen to my Susvara while on the road. I even A/B tested it with my HE1000v2 and the Sus still sounded better which is unusual with lower power / quality sources. Really happy I picked it up and tried something I would have never done otherwise..
WA8 Sus RS6 v2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #14,042 of 25,551

Something for a snowy day
How would you rate susvara's tactility/dynamism/phisicality against ZMF Verite Opens? Im considering a TOTL, but am afraid to get less of this than from Verites, which i still think are a bit lacking in this regard and would like a bit more of it.
I have Wells Audio Dragon LV2, so power wise i should be ok. I love vocals and nuturalness of sound, so am afraid TC wouldnt fill in this gap, though it would give so much more impact from my loved soundtracks (f.e. Hans Zimmer - Mountains; from Interstellar), which lacks a bit with VOs :deadhorse:

Other guys also please chime in :) Thanks!

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2022 at 12:30 PM Post #14,043 of 25,551
I am officially a member of the "Susvara Club" I'll send pics and give impressions soon. Just arrived in the post.

I am considering ordering a Benchmark AHB2 to power them. I have borrowed my Chord Etude from my main system, but want something for my office that can do the job - without having to unplug and move everything around.

Have any of you used this amp to power your Susvara's? Any impressions.

Secondly, as a Canadian we ware challenge to get certain products at a reasonable price in the country. Benchmark products are no exception. Do you happen to know any US dealers (willing to ship to Canada) , who offer some competitive pricing? Or do I simply have to order direct from Benchmark? You (the community) were incredibly helpful in helping me acquire these Susvara's, so I can only hope lightning will strike twice :wink:

Thanks in Advance

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #14,044 of 25,551
I am officially a member of the "Susvara Club" I'll send pics and give impressions soon. Just arrived in the post.

I am considering ordering a Benchmark AHB2 to power them. I have borrowed my Chord Etude from my main system, but want something for my office that can do the job - without having to unplug and move everything around.

Secondly, as a Canadian we ware challenge to get certain products at a reasonable price in the country. Benchmark products are no exception. Do you happen to know any US dealers (willing to ship to Canada) , who offer some competitive pricing? Or do I simply have to order direct from Benchmark? You (the community) were incredibly helpful in helping me acquire these Susvara's, so I can only hope lightning will strike twice :wink:

Thanks in Advance
Welcome to the club! I saw an AHB2 pass through Classifieds for sale yesterday, some decent deals to be had if you're into buying used.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:25 PM Post #14,045 of 25,551

Thanks in Advance
It’s a great pairing, I would say make sure your source leans a slight bit warm though. I have an AHB2 cable specifically for that amp and the susvara for sale in the classifieds if you’re interested.

Jan 31, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #14,046 of 25,551
How would you rate susvara's tactility/dynamism/phisicality against ZMF Verite Opens? Im considering a TOTL, but am afraid to get less of this than from Verites, which i still think are a bit lacking in this regard and would like a bit more of it.
I have Wells Audio Dragon LV2, so power wise i should be ok. I love vocals and nuturalness of sound, so am afraid TC wouldnt fill in this gap, though it would give so much more impact from my loved soundtracks (f.e. Hans Zimmer - Mountains; from Interstellar), which lacks a bit with VOs :deadhorse:

It's still early in my listening, but they're quite complementary from what I've experienced so far. I posted over on the VO thread that I did some back-and-forth the other night, mostly with some Elton John and Pink Floyd. Soundstage is much bigger on the Susvara. I suddenly understand exactly what people mean when they say "it feels like I'm in the 10th row." Elton is up ahead of me a ways, and his band is spread all over left and right, including depth. VO does something similar with the instruments, but not to the same degree, and the vocals are like Elton's sitting in my lap crooning right to me.

Again, early impressions and I'm most definitely in a honeymoon period, but Susvara is just amazing for orchestral, detail, airiness. The VO is more like listening in an underground venue to a surprise concert by a band way too popular to be playing there.

I felt the VO did a way better job on live rock recordings (Beatles "Get Back" rooftop concert), but it's not because Susvara doesn't do it justice, but rather because the VO gives me more of a rock concert experience.

In terms of tactility/dynamism/physicality, the VO is ahead - I have been using the bass line in "Tiny Dancer" as a comparison, and the VO hits it harder, while Susvara presents it as supremely clean and present. But for things like cellos the Susvaras have slightly more satisfying timbre.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense, I'm trying to express how I hear things via a keyboard, but that's my early impressions with a poorly-driven Susvara.

Jan 31, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #14,047 of 25,551

This is from memory, but I listened to them side by side for some time. The Susvara does everything better except for the upper bass hump of the VO. Compared to TC and VO, Susvaras tonality is way more neutral and agreeable. Strings and vocals sound as they should. In my opinion, neither TC nor VO can deliver on that. If you index for bass quantity really high, go TC. Otherwise, I'd go with Susvara and honestly don't even consider VO.

Jan 31, 2022 at 4:20 PM Post #14,048 of 25,551

Thanks in Advance
I think Mimic Cables ships to different countries. Ask him.

Jan 31, 2022 at 5:56 PM Post #14,050 of 25,551
If I may ask, would you like to possibly have it with Susvara or in general?
In general. I want it to drive my high-impedance ZMF headphones along with my power hungry planars.

Jan 31, 2022 at 6:56 PM Post #14,051 of 25,551
This is from memory, but I listened to them side by side for some time. The Susvara does everything better except for the upper bass hump of the VO. Compared to TC and VO, Susvaras tonality is way more neutral and agreeable. Strings and vocals sound as they should. In my opinion, neither TC nor VO can deliver on that. If you index for bass quantity really high, go TC. Otherwise, I'd go with Susvara and honestly don't even consider VO.
I agree, even if we're talking about the VC. I feel they don't scale as well as the susvara either. Good headphones, but the susvara imo is on another level.

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #14,052 of 25,551
It's still early in my listening, but they're quite complementary from what I've experienced so far. I posted over on the VO thread that I did some back-and-forth the other night, mostly with some Elton John and Pink Floyd. Soundstage is much bigger on the Susvara. I suddenly understand exactly what people mean when they say "it feels like I'm in the 10th row." Elton is up ahead of me a ways, and his band is spread all over left and right, including depth. VO does something similar with the instruments, but not to the same degree, and the vocals are like Elton's sitting in my lap crooning right to me.

Again, early impressions and I'm most definitely in a honeymoon period, but Susvara is just amazing for orchestral, detail, airiness. The VO is more like listening in an underground venue to a surprise concert by a band way too popular to be playing there.

I felt the VO did a way better job on live rock recordings (Beatles "Get Back" rooftop concert), but it's not because Susvara doesn't do it justice, but rather because the VO gives me more of a rock concert experience.

In terms of tactility/dynamism/physicality, the VO is ahead - I have been using the bass line in "Tiny Dancer" as a comparison, and the VO hits it harder, while Susvara presents it as supremely clean and present. But for things like cellos the Susvaras have slightly more satisfying timbre.

I don't know if any of this makes any sense, I'm trying to express how I hear things via a keyboard, but that's my early impressions with a poorly-driven Susvara.
Thanks so much for your impressions!

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:16 AM Post #14,053 of 25,551
I agree, even if we're talking about the VC. I feel they don't scale as well as the susvara either. Good headphones, but the susvara imo is on another level.
Yes, i fully agree that its on another level and i will welcome all those better traits very much, but i want to be on another level on dynamism also and get max action on my body :)

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:26 AM Post #14,054 of 25,551
Correcteness is of a high value for me as an audiophile, but i find myself always seeking to get more physical impact on me and crescendos carrying me away :) So TC is tempting.. but im afraid of that "metallic/industrial" aspect people mentioning.. its the reason why i went towards VO instead of Utopia. Its a pitty im not able to listen before i buy and must only make a blind guess, so my journey takes a bit longer and more expensive to get to what i want :D

Feb 1, 2022 at 1:35 AM Post #14,055 of 25,551
Correcteness is of a high value for me as an audiophile, but i find myself always seeking to get more physical impact on me and crescendos carrying me away :) So TC is tempting.. but im afraid of that "metallic/industrial" aspect people mentioning.. its the reason why i went towards VO instead of Utopia. Its a pitty im not able to listen before i buy and must only make a blind guess, so my journey takes a bit longer and more expensive to get to what i want :D
Tonal correctness and TC don't go well together in my opinion. It's fun having a sub on the head, but it's not accurate to the music. VO/VC kind of have the same problem. I think the tonality of Utopia is way better, but the build quality is an insult at 4000 EUR. You can always add a bass shelf to the Susvara, but that can be heavy on your amp. I think the Susvara was the only headphone I had no need of applying EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back