HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 20, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #13,923 of 25,601
So I've got a Susvara on the way. Is there anything in my amp stable that will come close to driving them properly? I know the Crack won't be a good match, but I've had success driving my HE6SE v2 from the balanced output of my Liquid Platinum and the balanced output of my Magnius. And I have a Jot 2 on the way in like two months or so.

What of my amps will do the best for now, and how much am I leaving on the table with them?

I do have a Luxman R117 with a HFM speaker tap to XLR adapter I'll try but it's not terribly convenient given my setup.
If you've got a nice DAC I recommend Kinki Studio Thr-1 :wink:

Jan 20, 2022 at 7:10 PM Post #13,924 of 25,601
Is there anything in my amp stable that will come close to driving them properly?
Not realy tbh....
What of my amps will do the best for now, and how much am I leaving on the table with them?
I mean the LP is the best bet for now, but I would very seriously recommend stepping up your amp game. Even just something like a V281 will at least get you part way there as a headphone amp, but if you need something under that price wise I would pretty well be at a loss if I am honest
I do have a Luxman R117 with a HFM speaker tap to XLR adapter I'll try but it's not terribly convenient given my setup.
This would certainly be worth a try. The good news is that its hard to get sus to sound bad but its also fairly hard to get sus to actually sound its price IMO

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #13,925 of 25,601
So I've got a Susvara on the way. Is there anything in my amp stable that will come close to driving them properly? I know the Crack won't be a good match, but I've had success driving my HE6SE v2 from the balanced output of my Liquid Platinum and the balanced output of my Magnius. And I have a Jot 2 on the way in like two months or so.

As eskamo said it's going to be tough. I think under 1k the best amp I heard was a Ragnarok v1. Resolution isn't quite where I would like it but does power low end from memory.

Jan 20, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #13,926 of 25,601
As eskamo said it's going to be tough. I think under 1k the best amp I heard was a Ragnarok v1. Resolution isn't quite where I would like it but does power low end from memory.
I would throw the IHA-6 in that category. Might not be as powerful as the Rag, but enough to get the job done.

Jan 21, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #13,927 of 25,601
Thanks for the feedback all. I ordered myself a Flux FA-10.

Jan 21, 2022 at 4:18 AM Post #13,929 of 25,601
Has anyone experinced these with vintage receivers or amplifiers?
I think there’s been plenty. Just search “vintage” in this thread for loads of past input.

Jan 21, 2022 at 6:36 AM Post #13,930 of 25,601
I tried susvara out of CYRUS I9-XR amp, I felt the sound was off, the magic tonality of sus was gone.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/i9-xr/

then tried it with my avid hifi - integra, with the same conclusion

https://www.avidhifi.com/amplifiers/integra-integrated-amplifier

till now I prefer violectric 590 over these mentioned amps and also over the tube amp auris headonia, using ifi pro dsd as a dac with 10 v output, and tara lab power cords. Using the violectirc with its internal dac is not to my liking, so I need the ifi pro dsd with it set at 10v next I will test sus out of accuphase e480, as from what I heard so far from using speaker amps was far from my tonal preferences. I had big expectations that using speakers amps would be a transformative experience and it was not at all. The difference is not like what I am reading about. As if transforming the suv from an ok sound to a God like sound. If you have a great headphone amp then know using speaker amps is not going to take you to oblivion. And good luck chasing a speaker amp that will offer great tonality with susvara as it seems that you have to go through tons and tons of speaker amps to find a good amp with great tonality with sus. I believe that great headphone amps provide a way better tonality than speaker amps.

Last edited:
Jan 21, 2022 at 7:51 AM Post #13,931 of 25,601
I tried susvara out of CYRUS I9-XR amp, I felt the sound was off, the magic tonality of sus was gone.

https://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/i9-xr/

then tried it with my avid hifi - integra, with the same conclusion

https://www.avidhifi.com/amplifiers/integra-integrated-amplifier

till now I prefer violectric 590 over these mentioned amps and also over the tube amp auris headonia, using ifi pro dsd as a dac with 10 v output, and tara lab power cords. Using the violectirc with its internal dac is not to my liking, so I need the ifi pro dsd with it set at 10v

next I will test sus out of accuphase e480, as from what I heard so far from using speaker amps was far from my tonal preferences
Not many DACs can do 10v nice! My M2 Tech Young Mkiv can as well, it makes my Taurus Mkii sing with Susvara lol. I only use 5v with thr-1 since it's a beast already. The Taurus Max is 12v.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:02 AM Post #13,932 of 25,601
for those looking to add something to their lineup, the Solitaire-P is a really nice complement to the Susvara.

it offers a comparatively darker presentation, stronger low end, stronger imaging and seemingly wider staging.

there is some music that still sounds better on the Susvara; jazz, female vocals, some indie and folk. and there is some music that, after listening with the P, just doesn't sound as nice anymore on the Sus, like dance/edm, rock, pop.

the new album Butterfly 3001 by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard is an example where the P is more enoyable than the Susvara. that mid bass and low end punchiness and warmth really suits the music. lovely!

20220121_205629-01.jpeg

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:15 AM Post #13,933 of 25,601
86DAD4BF-94B9-4654-805A-CADEEBF3B643.jpeg

Joined the Susvara-club.

Jan 21, 2022 at 8:38 AM Post #13,934 of 25,601
Nice amp too!

Jan 21, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #13,935 of 25,601
Has anyone experinced these with vintage receivers or amplifiers?
When mine arrives I'll play with it through my Luxman R-117. See how it goes with the headphone output, the headphone output of my TP-117 preamp, and speaker taps with the HiFiMAN speaker-to-XLR adapter. See how 160 WPC into 8Ω plays with these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back