HiFiMan Susvara
Jan 15, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #13,846 of 25,603
So I just discovered I have been wearing the Susvara about two holes too low on the headband adjustment. I've experimented a while ago and ended up with 2nd hole from the bottom, and stuck with that most of the time with occasional adjustment one hole up. But after fussing about much yesterday, and decided the sound seem compressed and hard to get comfortable lying on sofa, I decided to try 2 holes up and WOW a huge difference to soundstage and comfort.

So just want to add, all the amp / dac talk is nice, but wearing the Susvara right is way more important than any equipment change I've done. 🤦‍♂️
1642308832206.gif

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #13,848 of 25,603
So I just discovered I have been wearing the Susvara about two holes too low on the headband adjustment. I've experimented a while ago and ended up with 2nd hole from the bottom, and stuck with that most of the time with occasional adjustment one hole up. But after fussing about much yesterday, and decided the sound seem compressed and hard to get comfortable lying on sofa, I decided to try 2 holes up and WOW a huge difference to soundstage and comfort.

So just want to add, all the amp / dac talk is nice, but wearing the Susvara right is way more important than any equipment change I've done. 🤦‍♂️
So wearing it a bit loose will be better for soundstage?

I've just got the susvara home after owning the LCD4 for 5 years. It's wonderful. But switching from one to the other is a bit strange. It makes the LCD 4 sound more wet, smaller sounding and thicksounding compared to susvara.

Anyone know anything about a new version of susvara coming?

Jan 16, 2022 at 2:30 AM Post #13,849 of 25,603
So wearing it a bit loose will be better for soundstage?

I've just got the susvara home after owning the LCD4 for 5 years. It's wonderful. But switching from one to the other is a bit strange. It makes the LCD 4 sound more wet, smaller sounding and thicksounding compared to susvara.

For me yes, I was going for a snug fit last time, but the pad cushion was also closer to the ear canal which caused the soundstage to get compressed. So yes watch out for that.

Jan 16, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #13,850 of 25,603
here? No.

i don’t know if things have changed but a while ago (about 18 months ago) i heard hifiman no longer have the appropriate engineers working for them to put something like that together.

Just what i heard - so take with grain of salt

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #13,852 of 25,603
can it get any better than this? I'm scared for my wallet to find out. until then, so far in my headphones journey this is the best I've heard my Susvara.

20220116_064958-01.jpeg

the tube pre has given me the most balanced sound out of the susvara yet. the bass impact slam and slap and the pressure within the cups is so damn good, I have just been amazed these past few days. perfect amount of sub bass and reverb too.

after some listening, I took the susvara for a spin with the Wa33 and it is really no contest. yep I get some decent bass with the Wa33 but it is not on the same level as the tube pre + power amp combo at all. also the mid and highs centric sound I get with the Wa33 makes the susvara tip over to slightly jarring/bright much earlier on the volume knob. the wa33 does have some really good layering and imaging though. I'm hoping the tube pre will get better at this with more use.

just sharing my joy, till the next toy comes along! almost feels like I have finally unleashed the true potential of these headphones.
Try and get an audition Roasty with the EF1000 also with tube pre and ss power out !

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:06 AM Post #13,853 of 25,603
You just may be surprised that you haven’t reached nirvana until you have tried the “next toy” Enleum Amp 23R with Susvara. You will forget you are even wearing headphones.
Nooooo.... The EF1000 !

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:41 AM Post #13,854 of 25,603
Try and get an audition Roasty with the EF1000 also with tube pre and ss power out !
I was wondering where you (and your amp) were once we started talking about “nirvana”.

cue nirvana amp owners
:)

Jan 16, 2022 at 9:57 AM Post #13,855 of 25,603
Jan 16, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #13,856 of 25,603
Jan 16, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #13,857 of 25,603
Really great review. And I much prefer reviews after someone has owned/tested the product for some time in comparison to short term. Wish we saw a lot more like this.

Jan 16, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #13,858 of 25,603
one of the best susvara reviews yet. i love how he covered all bases.

True that, he was very thorough and stayed away from bold statements. Lovely work all in all.

Really great review. And I much prefer reviews after someone has owned/tested the product for some time in comparison to short term. Wish we saw a lot more like this.

That's true, but it all depends on a reviewer. Hobbyists can take their time, while people into audio reviewing for a living usually don't have that luxury.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Jan 16, 2022 at 1:52 PM Post #13,859 of 25,603
Our friend Sajid posted another review

Susvara long term review

Yup! Sajid is da man! He spoke about Susvara with amps, DACs, and cables (unlike some so-called professional reviewers who only speak about the Susvara alone, as if it could ever sing alone, and by itself)... He made very helpful comparative reviews with other competing headphones. Hell, he made the topic of "speaker amps" tolerable, and even taught me a new a new audiophile word : "Mid-head!" What else could a Susvara fan possibly ask for?

Oh and most importantly, he did not appear wearing the tie in his Avatar, which intimidates the hell out of me :):):)

In all seriousness, though, I give this an A++

Serious kudos to Sajid... The completest Audio hobbyist known to me.

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #13,860 of 25,603
Superb and comprehensive video review by @Sajid Amit ! I would perhaps opine that the midrange of some estats I've heard (Shangri-la Junior, Stax SR-009S) offer even more insight than the Susvara's, and might be my top recommendation to a "mid-head", although the Susvara has a fantastic midrange in its own right, and is still my favorite all-rounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back