HiFiMan Susvara
Nov 27, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #12,603 of 25,604
Yes, these are the ones (Eikon Hybrid suede/lamb).
No, the mounting rings are something specific to Hifimans, therefore must be found and ordered separately (e.g. from the Hifiman store).
Do you prefer the Eikon Hybrid over the Universe Pads Hybrid? Which one do you find more comfy? Timbre gets better? How does soundstage and treble change over stock? I think you mentioned sub bass extends further with these 2 pads, right?

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:23 PM Post #12,604 of 25,604
I've had good success with the Universe Perforated suede pads. The Leather and Hybrid perforated versions of the Universe pads made the Susvara a bit bright.
Are they thicker and comfier?

Nov 27, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #12,605 of 25,604
Just checked the mounting rings in the Hifiman store.
2 x rings: 20 USD
Shipping to Europe: 178 USD 😂
1 equals 1 pair. For US it was free shipping. :/

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #12,607 of 25,604
Nov 27, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #12,608 of 25,604
Nov 27, 2021 at 8:52 PM Post #12,611 of 25,604
@JeffMann Re-posting your question here so that the LCD-5 thread is not further derailed.

Once you slip the mounting rings inside the bottom part of the pads, and then attach the mounting rings to Susvara's cups, the pads would naturally hold in place by friction. In other words, the mounting rings would effectively "sandwich" the bottom part of the pads to the cups. Basically the same way it's been with oldschool Hifimans like HE-500 or HE-6.

Yes, it should tackle the issues you have with stock Susvara. The point of ZMF Eikon hybrids is to keep magic of stock Susvara sound as much as possible while:
  • Improving low to mid bass heft and impact.
  • Improving on perceived balance in mids to treble region, by decreasing thinness in upper mids and excessive "stadium-like" airiness in highs.
  • Improving on perceived timbre by eliminating unnatural diffusiveness of stock pads.
  • NOTE: As with everything, there are sonic trade-offs. If you increase something, you automatically decrease something else - and vice versa. If you are absolutely in love with stock Susvara sound, you could still find the trade-offs a bit too much to accept.
Hmm so it loses some airiness ... is the treble a little warmer? Also, is soundstage more narrow? Ordered a pair :O

Nov 27, 2021 at 9:09 PM Post #12,612 of 25,604

Nov 28, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #12,614 of 25,604
Are the ZMF hybrid Eikon the pads most have been suggesting to try for the Sus?
Not many people have been into pad-rolling with Susvara, therefore not aware of any universally recommended pads for Susvara.

Ideal pads would largely depend on what you want to achieve sound-wise and comfort-wise compared to the stock Susvara. The potential sonic benefits of the ZMF Eikon Hybrid pads compared to stock have been stated by me here. I might be able to suggest some potentially good options if you specify what you are after.

Do you prefer the Eikon Hybrid over the Universe Pads Hybrid? Which one do you find more comfy? Timbre gets better? How does soundstage and treble change over stock? I think you mentioned sub bass extends further with these 2 pads, right?
Subbass reach is identical between stock and these Hybrid Solid pads. (Any solid (p)leather or solid hybrid pads should be able to achieve the same.)

One of the strong points of Eikon Hybrids on Susvara is the subjective tonal balance from upper mids to higher treble. Upper mids are not too recessed, low to mid treble not too emphasised and upper treble again not too recessed. With the Universe Hybrid Solid ( = non-perforated) pads, low treble gets a bit too much and upper treble a bit too recessed to my ears. On the other hand, if you are absolutely in love with the rather intense treble presence and airiness of the stock pads, there are better options out there than either of the ZMFs.

Timbre is very very similar, due to the same materials used. The Eikon pads just seem to have a tendency for being a little bit softer in mids, I noticed that pattern even with the Eikon perf leather type.

The Eikons are a bit more angled than the Universe pads which makes them image a bit better. The Eikons are also deeper which obviously also makes soundstage somewhat larger. Very hard to say about comfort - while both are very good, you might end up preferring either the angled deeper nature of the Eikons or the slightly shallower and less angled Universe with a more circular inner cavity. Examples: If you are extremely annoyed by any kind of side pressure coming from headband, shallower pads (e.g. the Universe) would suit you better on Susvara. If you want the pads to naturally comform with shape of human head, more angled pads (e.g. the Eikon) would suit you better with Susvara.

Hmm so it loses some airiness ... is the treble a little warmer? Also, is soundstage more narrow? Ordered a pair :O
Yes, treble gets warmer relatively to the stock Susvara pads. Again, to my ears, Susvara with stock pads are excessively acoustically open which makes for a strong and airy presence in treble but significantly limits their ability to (really "pressurise" the space inside pads and) sound impactful like e.g. HE-6, LCD-4 or AB1266. The Eikon Hybrids are IMHO successful in not ruining Susvara's tonal coherence while significantly improving on their ability to sound physical, tactile.

Users who are viewing this thread

• vtvu
Back