HiFiMan Susvara
Apr 27, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #1,201 of 25,688
6000 dollars Naahhh..... and on top of that people who buy this will buy 1200$ cables to fully realize the "potential" of their pride and joy. The 4000$ Kimber Axios AG would make the Susvara truly "HEAVENLY"

What's next $8000-$10000 headphones, I don't like this trend. I can't see myself spending more than 2000$-2500$ on a headphone.
wow yeah 6k for a headphone is plain ridiculous. That kind of money will get me a full high end hi-fi system and a week or two for a nice vacation. Even the Focal clear at 1.5k is a bit too absurd but will just be way way more reasonable for an excellent headphone and you would still have $4500 dollars left to spare in many many more things.

for $6000 dollars, does it come with racing tires or just regular ones?

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #1,202 of 25,688
wow yeah 6k for a headphone is plain ridiculous. That kind of money will get me a full high end hi-fi system and a week or two for a nice vacation. Even the Focal clear at 1.5k is a bit too absurd but will just be way way more reasonable for an excellent headphone and you would still have $4500 dollars left to spare in many many more things.

for $6000 dollars, does it come with racing tires or just regular ones?

You're obviously new here.

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #1,203 of 25,688
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #1,204 of 25,688
wow ouais 6k pour un casque est tout simplement ridicule. Ce genre d'argent me donnera une chaîne hi-fi haut de gamme et une semaine ou deux pour de belles vacances. Même le Focal clair à 1.5k est un peu trop absurde mais sera beaucoup plus raisonnable pour un excellent casque et vous aurez encore 4500 dollars à dépenser dans beaucoup plus de choses.

pour 6000 dollars, est-ce que ça vient avec des pneus de course ou juste des pneus réguliers?

hello, it's true you're right, there is especially a lot of exaggeration on the part of the professionals who multiply their margins,
after, .... you have to know what you want as support for listening to music, I myself have a LCD4 Audeze, I tried other headsets more affordable, more modest, I know that for a 5000 € headset is very expensive, but I do not have this musical pleasure, and to listen to music is part of my life,
when you are having lunch you are near you to help you eat a knife and a fork, if you should remove them and replace them with chopsticks, will you enjoy your meal in the same way, difficult to change this that happens in our head, our ears, our brain, ........

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:42 PM Post #1,205 of 25,688
I'd argue that in photography, there can be less improvement for really expensive glass, shooting with cheap lenses can yield little improvement where in audio an expensive headphone sounds immediately different from a cheap one.

Of course, there are arguments for both, but I'd really argue that as long as there is a niche and people willing to pay, very expensive glass and very expensive headphones are here to stay. And I don't mind that one bit, who doesn't enjoy a really good lens or a really good headphone? :)

as one who used to be a serious amateur photographer i didnt find my obsession very different than my current obsession with audio equipment. I bought and sold lenses hoping for the 2% improvement and paid tons of money for small improvements....that is simply the way it is when you are upgrading higher end products in most all product classes

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 4:01 AM Post #1,207 of 25,688
as one who used to be a serious amateur photographer i didnt find my obsession very different than my current obsession with audio equipment. I bought and sold lenses hoping for the 2% improvement and paid tons of money for small improvements....that is simply the way it is when you are upgrading higher end products in most all product classes

Ahahaha :)

Exploring the photos some people took with their kit 18-55 lenses makes me think that it isn't the lens that matters but that I should learn more about photography in general to get better at this :)

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:35 PM Post #1,208 of 25,688
Lol, welcome to Head-Fi. I’m sorry about your wallet.
Thank you for the welcome! Don't be sorry about my wallet, its for sure not as fat as yours, but I have the power of knowledge on my side! I gave a single example of what I would buy with 6000 dollars (the focal clear headphone) and I have $4500 to get top amp, top dac (somebody said chord?) and top cables, and who knows even a top transport! Dont just insult others by saying how sorry you feel for their wallet, or like the other guy whos whole argument was that im new on the forum and that was it... lol No need to get involved in posts if you dont have anything constructive to say, is not about collecting the most number of posts to feel like you are one of the oldest in the forum, remember you can learn a lot from the new guys too! and just because someone is new here doesnt mean he/she was just born yesterday.

Apr 28, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #1,209 of 25,688
I don’t mind a $6k price tag personally, but I want the entire product to look the price, not just the sound. And, cables shouldn’t be wonky and easily fall apart (as the ones on my set did). The black sheath glued near the end literally came off when removing the cables the other night!

Apr 29, 2018 at 1:06 AM Post #1,210 of 25,688
Thank you for the welcome! Don't be sorry about my wallet, its for sure not as fat as yours, but I have the power of knowledge on my side! I gave a single example of what I would buy with 6000 dollars (the focal clear headphone) and I have $4500 to get top amp, top dac (somebody said chord?) and top cables, and who knows even a top transport! Dont just insult others by saying how sorry you feel for their wallet, or like the other guy whos whole argument was that im new on the forum and that was it... lol No need to get involved in posts if you dont have anything constructive to say, is not about collecting the most number of posts to feel like you are one of the oldest in the forum, remember you can learn a lot from the new guys too! and just because someone is new here doesnt mean he/she was just born yesterday.

‘Sorry for your wallet’ is just an old freindly Head Fi term of endearment and meant as a ‘welcome to the club’ greeting around here.

It’s a recognition of the money we all tend to spend on gear, searching for that last little bit of audio nirvana. :)

Using research and knowledge is great and highly recommended but it’s no where near as helpful as actually auditioning gear yourself.

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #1,211 of 25,688
Oneguy is quoting a Head-Fi greeting. Search for it here on Head-Fi.

You may want to tone down that attitude a little if you want to have a more harmonious relationship with your peers here.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:27 AM Post #1,212 of 25,688
‘Sorry for your wallet’ is just an old freindly Head Fi term of endearment and meant as a ‘welcome to the club’ greeting around here.

It’s a recognition of the money we all tend to spend on gear, searching for that last little bit of audio nirvana. :)

Using research and knowledge is great and highly recommended but it’s no where near as helpful as actually auditioning gear yourself.
oh in that case my bad! :) I leave my rant for others to enjoy but I apologize if it was a genuinely a friendly comment. Agree auditioning its the ultimate tool of the truth. I actually liked a lot sundara headphone for $500 paired with their megamini ( its about a 3" X 1" and maybe quarter of an inch thick player if i remember) sounded huge and well balanced with the sundara (not to be confused with the susvara, but yes to be confuse :) , why Hifiman? ) Anyways sundaras are very good and looks like they will pair very well with portable devices and audiophile cell phones like the lg v20 30s etc.....

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:37 AM Post #1,213 of 25,688
oh in that case my bad! :) I leave my rant for others to enjoy but I apologize if it was a genuinely a friendly comment. Agree auditioning its the ultimate tool of the truth. I actually liked a lot sundara headphone for $500 paired with their megamini ( its about a 3" X 1" and maybe quarter of an inch thick player if i remember) sounded huge and well balanced with the sundara (not to be confused with the susvara, but yes to be confuse :) , why Hifiman? ) Anyways sundaras are very good and looks like they will pair very well with portable devices and audiophile cell phones like the lg v20 30s etc.....
No worries man, just trying to be cordial :beerchug:

Enjoy the forums!

May 2, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,214 of 25,688
Hi everyone, I am experimenting the use of speaker amps to drive my pair of Susvara. Recently, I have access to a McIntosh MC275 (Version VI) tube amplifier. I am however unable to get hold of an HE-Adapter (they seem to be out of stock everywhere in Asia) and have to make my own or commission one from local DIYers.

I have read up on Robinette Box: https://robrobinette.com/HeadphoneResistorNetworkCalculator.htm

With the Network Calculator on Robinette's site, I worked out that with Susvara 60 Ohm impedance, I will need Resisters in series of 6 Ohms and Resisters in parallel of 2 Ohms. This will give an Effective Speaker Load of 7.9 Ohm, which I believe is close enough to the 8 Ohm output on McIntosh MC275.

However, in Hifiman's website, the published spec of HE-adapter is Resistors in Parallel: 10 Ohm and Resistors in Series: 25 Ohm. When I insert these figures into Robinette's calculator, it gave an effective speaker load of 33.571 Ohm.

I am not an engineer, so I would very much appreciate if someone can point me in the right direction. Thank you in advance for your help.

This is a prototype built by a DIYer:
IMG-20180502-WA0000.jpg

Last edited:
May 3, 2018 at 2:00 AM Post #1,215 of 25,688
Don't know much about this stuff, but the calculator you have linked to asks for the amp's output impedance. Have you entered 8 ohms for that value because I think that might be where you're going wrong. I'm going to copy and paste this from Stereophile:

The McIntosh's output impedances were on the low side for a transformer-coupled tube design, at 0.33 ohm from the 4 ohm tap, 0.57 ohm from the 8 ohm tap, and 0.87 ohm from the 16 ohm tap. These figures applied at low and midrange frequencies; the impedance at 20kHz was a little higher, at 0.38 ohm (4 ohm tap), 0.7 ohm (8 ohm tap), and 1.1 ohms (16 ohm tap).

I believe the HE resistor box was designed to be used with the HE6 which has been discontinued so maybe they have also discontinued the adapter box?

Maybe hit up the "sound science" part of the forum for the math questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back