HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 9, 2021 at 11:19 AM Post #11,686 of 25,872
I see thanks. Actually the Ferrum Oor is not that much more and is getting good reviews. Do you think that would be a better choice for a medium size/medium budget Susvara amp?
I strongly recommend Kinki Studio THR-1. You can look at the review of SoundNews below.

https://soundnews.net/amplifiers/headphone-amps/kinki-studio-vision-thr-1-review-a-gentle-giant/

I have also shared a review on the THR-1 thread and extracted as follows:
**********************************************************************************************
My THR-1 has burnt in for 1 week now and I am keeping it on 24x7. I just want to share that it is the biggest hidden gem in my over 20 years voyage in Home HiFi, portable audio and desktop head-fi. I shall try to summarize my experience below.

1. THR-1 really needs at least one full week or 300 hours at best to burn in (thanks @joseG86 ). I strongly recommend to keep it always on as it only generates a bit warmth in the case.
2. It is powerful enough to drive all low sensitive CANs including Susvara. I usually listen at a volume level at position at 12 or 1 o'clock for my Susvara.
3. THR-1 strikes a perfect balance between tonality, resolution, musicality and output power. It performs perfectly along all frequencies with deep and textured bass, sweet mid and smooth but well extended high. The sound is so smooth, cohesive and musical that makes every minute of listening so enjoyable.
4. The sound is neutral with a bit on warm side. Sound signature is more on tube with speed and dynamics of solid state.
5. Compared to Burson Conductor 3XR, the output power is similar. The Burson seems more resolving which throwing crazy details in your face. For THR-1, all details are also there but in a more subtle and harmonic way, connecting notes into music seamlessly.
6. Only weakness compared to my Benchmark HPA4 is a bit lower resolution and higher noise floor, in which HPA4 is at reference level. I am now using my HPA4 as Line Amp and THR-1 (at maximum volume) as power amp, and it improves the above weaknesses vastly.
7. I have never really enjoyed my Stellia previously as I found it a bit harsh and bright sometimes. With THR-1 the Stellia just sounds perfectly without any harshness and brightness in the mid and high.
8. The THR-1 is the worthiest purchase of mine ever, and at the price I paid (a bit higher than USD1K) it is a real steal.
9. Since it was fully burnt in, it is my favourite amp at all time (please see my signature for desktop amp I own).
10. THR-1 carries my highest recommendation and if audition is not possible, you won't go wrong by getting it blindly.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #11,687 of 25,872
Not sure if we can talk about price, but I know for a fact when shopping around street price is way lower then MSRP and hifiman has an unadvertised trade-in on HEK. It’s pretty easy to get susvara under 4.5K new in the U.S. and I know I could get them closer to 4K with a bit of effort. This is pretty much true for any hifi equipment, hence why the used market is usually at steep discounts. High MSRP gives dealers the ability to negotiate which comes down to how educated the buyer is - yeah it’s predatory….

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #11,688 of 25,872
I strongly recommend Kinki Studio THR-1. You can look at the review of SoundNews below.
Thanks this was not on my radar. I'll look into it.

Oct 9, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #11,689 of 25,872
Not sure if we can talk about price, but I know for a fact when shopping around street price is way lower then MSRP and hifiman has an unadvertised trade-in on HEK. It’s pretty easy to get susvara under 4.5K new in the U.S. and I know I could get them closer to 4K with a bit of effort. This is pretty much true for any hifi equipment, hence why the used market is usually at steep discounts. High MSRP gives dealers the ability to negotiate which comes down to how educated the buyer is - yeah it’s predatory….
I got a used Susvara a few weeks ago for a little over $3K. They are very early ones and have been around the block a few times, and I've got to replace the leather strap, but that sound - oh my goodness! Also got a pair of Dekoni replacement pads and Black Dragon cable to go with. Now I need to get a proper amp for it, though!

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #11,690 of 25,872
I read the reviews and it does sound like a great choice for the Suvaras. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be on sale anywhere... :frowning2:

Oct 9, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #11,691 of 25,872
Oct 9, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #11,692 of 25,872
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #11,693 of 25,872
I got a used Susvara a few weeks ago for a little over $3K. They are very early ones and have been around the block a few times, and I've got to replace the leather strap, but that sound - oh my goodness! Also got a pair of Dekoni replacement pads and Black Dragon cable to go with. Now I need to get a proper amp for it, though!

So much for labeling his for sale post MINT..
Yeah he sold it to you as I was asking questions, but I really didn't want to take the potential risk from shipping oversees anyways. Glad it arrived safe though, postal workers like to practice mix martial arts on parcels these days.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #11,694 of 25,872
Wasn't there a 2.5mm exchange to 3.5mm Hifiman was offering ? What cost and criteria did that entail ?

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:51 PM Post #11,695 of 25,872
So much for labeling his for sale post MINT..
Yeah he sold it to you as I was asking questions, but I really didn't want to take the potential risk from shipping oversees anyways. Glad it arrived safe though, postal workers like to practice mix martial arts on parcels these days.
Hi Tachyon! I don't think I said who or where I got it from; didn't come from overseas - actually, it was a 'demo'.

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #11,696 of 25,872
Wasn't there a 2.5mm exchange to 3.5mm Hifiman was offering ? What cost and criteria did that entail ?
I sure would be interested in something like that, too!!!!

Oct 9, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #11,697 of 25,872
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #11,698 of 25,872
Hi Tachyon! I don't think I said who or where I got it from; didn't come from overseas - actually, it was a 'demo'.

DOH ! You're right, a few things lined up to make me think that, but I should of actually looked at the user names instead of quick glances and colored squared avatars....my bad.
Not that I know of?
I swear I remember reading of such a program.....they also have trade in programs for other things with their endless updates. Maybe I'm conflating this too.

Probably has something to do with me being crazy. :fox:

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #11,699 of 25,872
If anyone has an AHB2 they are willing to part with please let me know. I subscribe to the “always bet on black” ideology but would make an exception for silver in this case. I have a Ferrum Oor with Hyposis I’d consider moving if I can find the AHB2.

09001FC8-3CEC-4B94-9886-9C300E4C4447.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2021 at 2:12 PM Post #11,700 of 25,872
If anyone has an AHB2 they are willing to part with please let me know. I subscribe to the “always bet on black” ideology but would make an exception for silver in this case. I have a Ferrum Oor with Hyposis I’d consider moving if I can find the AHB2.

09001FC8-3CEC-4B94-9886-9C300E4C4447.jpeg
Can you tell me what the best way is to connect to the speaker taps?? Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back