HiFiMan Susvara
Oct 7, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #11,656 of 25,686
Your findings just show that the best way to tune a system is with the source. I've always been a source first guy, then amp, then headphone, and cables. You can get there in any order, but changing the source seems to have the biggest impact on sound. System synergy can never be stated enough :)
Agreed.

As a corollary, changing the source has the most disruptive effects on one's system (effects which are presumably welcome, and hopefully anticipated!).

I'm already considering dropping a headphone and an amp or two. Also, paradoxically (or perversely), having found a DAC that I'm really excited by has made me want to try more amps and headphones (not less), to see how they go with it.

Oct 7, 2021 at 7:04 PM Post #11,657 of 25,686
Agreed.

As a corollary, changing the source has the most disruptive effects on one's system (effects which are presumably welcome, and hopefully anticipated!).

I'm already considering dropping a headphone and an amp or two. Also, paradoxically (or perversely), having found a DAC that I'm really excited by has made me want to try more amps and headphones (not less), to see how they go with it.
Yep, when I first got my Dave I pretty much had to change everything following it, starting with my amp. I had to rethink everything as nothing sounded right anymore. My whole setup was out of balance now. Changing the source and having it being disruptive is an understatement, haha.

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #11,658 of 25,686
Last week, I picked up a new DAC, and I now feel compelled to modify the above statement, because this new DAC changes a lot about what I feel like the Bakoon contributes to my system.

With the Bartok (as opposed to the DAVE, which it's replacing), the AMP-R13 + Susvara sounds just really, so right to me at the moment. It's extra smooth, very relaxed, warmer, and exudes (extrudes?) more depth and more defined images. The sound reminds me of the HE1000v2, if you see what I mean. It also sounds remarkably pleasing at low-to-medium volumes. I'm totally happy with this amp/headphone combo now. About 90% of my listening with the Bartok thus far has been with the Bakoon + Susvara.

Whereas on the DAVE, the R13 + Susvara sounded a little lacking in warmth and bass quantity, a little flat, and somewhat compressed. In a word, kind of boring. But I can't even claim to be able to generalize this to apply to any DAVE with the R13 + Susvara, just my own DAVE setup, since there are like 10^14 ways of setting of the source going into the DAVE, all of which matter (In contrast, with the Bartok, you just connect the network cable and you're pretty much golden).

The Utopia, which I wrote about dismissively above, also sounds really good with the Bakoon now. And the TC, which I previously ranked first, now comes in third. My DAVE gave it a denser, more forward sound out of the Bakoon, which worked better with that headphone.

Key takeaway: When considering amps, the DAC matters. To the point that it's almost misleading or even harmful to blithely give an opinion of an amp without also qualifying those opinions with the DAC that it's connected to. No big revelation, sure, but presumably I'm not the only one who needs an occasional reminder about it...
amazing how differently people hear things...my susvara with my 13r and dave /blu2 is wonderful...best I have yet heard my susvara...

Oct 7, 2021 at 8:34 PM Post #11,659 of 25,686
, just my own DAVE setup, since there are like 10^14 ways of setting of the source going into the DAVE, all of which matter (In contrast, with the Bartok, you just connect the network cable and you're pretty much golden).
:k701smile: very true! Can I ask what were you using as source going into Dave for comparison with Bartok? Been curious about Bartok but not a lot of used units up for grabs (maybe that's saying something) to try.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #11,660 of 25,686
:k701smile: very true! Can I ask what were you using as source going into Dave for comparison with Bartok? Been curious about Bartok but not a lot of used units up for grabs (maybe that's saying something) to try.
Sure, I was doing:

PGGB upscaled files to SRC-DX to Opto-DX to dual-BNC. With the PC and the Opto-DX devices running on batteries.

The SRC-DX and Opto-DX were an important improvement to me while using the M-Scaler. And then PGGB was a big improvement to my ears over the M-Scaler, while still keeping the SRC-DX and Opto-DX in the chain.

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #11,661 of 25,686
Sure, I was doing:

PGGB upscaled files to SRC-DX to Opto-DX to dual-BNC. With the PC and the Opto-DX devices running on batteries.

The SRC-DX and Opto-DX were an important improvement to me while using the M-Scaler. And then PGGB was a big improvement to my ears over the M-Scaler, while still keeping the SRC-DX and Opto-DX in the chain.
Truly can be 10^14 ways to play audio that's for sure. Is the Bartok now still ok to play PGGB files direct from your PC hard drive I'm assuming?

Oct 7, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #11,662 of 25,686
Truly can be 10^14 ways to play audio that's for sure. Is the Bartok now still ok to play PGGB files direct from your PC hard drive I'm assuming?

Yes. The Bartok only goes up to 384k, but PGGB may still be worthwhile (I'm still trying to decide). The positive impact of PGGB upscaled files was quite a bit more pronounced using the DAVE, IMO.

Oct 8, 2021 at 5:19 AM Post #11,664 of 25,686
Last week, I picked up a new DAC, and I now feel compelled to modify the above statement, because this new DAC changes a lot about what I feel like the Bakoon contributes to my system.

With the Bartok (as opposed to the DAVE, which it's replacing), the AMP-R13 + Susvara sounds just really, so right to me at the moment. It's extra smooth, very relaxed, warmer, and exudes (extrudes?) more depth and more defined images. The sound reminds me of the HE1000v2, if you see what I mean. It also sounds remarkably pleasing at low-to-medium volumes. I'm totally happy with this amp/headphone combo now. About 90% of my listening with the Bartok thus far has been with the Bakoon + Susvara.

Whereas on the DAVE, the R13 + Susvara sounded a little lacking in warmth and bass quantity, a little flat, and somewhat compressed. In a word, kind of boring. But I can't even claim to be able to generalize this to apply to any DAVE with the R13 + Susvara, just my own DAVE setup, since there are like 10^14 ways of setting of the source going into the DAVE, all of which matter (In contrast, with the Bartok, you just connect the network cable and you're pretty much golden).

The Utopia, which I wrote about dismissively above, also sounds really good with the Bakoon now. And the TC, which I previously ranked first, now comes in third. My DAVE gave it a denser, more forward sound out of the Bakoon, which worked better with that headphone.

Key takeaway: When considering amps, the DAC matters. To the point that it's almost misleading or even harmful to blithely give an opinion of an amp without also qualifying those opinions with the DAC that it's connected to. No big revelation, sure, but presumably I'm not the only one who needs an occasional reminder about it...

Lovely post, with good advice!
So... When is the Rossini coming?

Oct 8, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #11,665 of 25,686
Sounds amazing. Curious if Shipibo still does the Chacruna mod ...
Sadly no idea - but I'm sure they'll respond if You ask. Unfortunately these days getting one of the old HE-6 is rather tricky and it's not really a reversible mod :dt880smile:

That's a very expensive setup, so I imagine it should sound great, especially considering how much current it can deliver. Looks like quite an overkill though :)
Oh it's absolutely an overkill and borderline impossible to justify. The only reason one could use such a system for headphones is by purchasing it for a speaker system first. Even then - who would want to bother with cables ?( I would, but I'm mental )

But at the very least I can say that it does sound as good as the price would suggest ... obviously haven't heard all of the other possible systems, so there may be something as good or better for waaaaay less.

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:55 PM Post #11,666 of 25,686
Joined the Sus Mafia, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi to everyone :L3000:

IMG_20211008_132308.jpg

Oct 8, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #11,667 of 25,686
Oct 8, 2021 at 8:01 PM Post #11,669 of 25,686
It's 2 AM already and I really should do some sleeping tonight...but it's hard to stop :dt880smile:
Maybe at 4:30 ... until then enjoy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back