HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:14 PM Post #10,681 of 26,673
Today is a sad day. I have decided to part ways with the Susvara for now. This is mainly prompted by my purchase of the Stealth and not wanting to start accumulating TOTL cans. I think I can justify owning two at this price point and I have decided on the Abyss between the two due to several factors. One, the Abyss doesn't seem to benefit from anything more than my TT2 when being driven by speaker amps, for example. Second, it's just the more immediately gratifying of the two headphones. You instantly get the wow factor from it whereas the Susvara takes time to appreciate. The Susvara has undoubtedly earned a top spot on my list of favorite headphones and I'm sure I'll be owning one again in the future (bring on Susvara SE already!).

Regarding the Susvara out of the Chord TT2 (balanced XLR outs):
I had a great experience with the Susvara right out of the XLR outs of my TT2 and found that sound to be something truly special. I also got a chance to enjoy it out of such speaker amps as the Pass Labs XA25 and the Chord Etude. Those amps certainly accentuated the lower end of the headphone and maybe a bit of the very top end, but also took something away from the synergy I really enjoyed with the direct TT2 drive. I know it's not a popular opinion and one I've previously posted, but I think the TT2 drives the Susvara out of the balanced outputs fine. It has a tonality and accuracy you might not prefer, but I wouldn't rush to get an amp and expect a transformative experience. I always went back to the TT2 direct and felt very satisfied. I never once felt like the TT2 couldn't hit my preferred volumes or was straining to get there.
What a moving goodbye speech! This feels positively poetic!

giphy.gif

I think my Susvara is asking for a hug, right about now :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Seriously, though, I hope your next adventure is as great as you expect it to be! Onward and upward!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #10,682 of 26,673
I gotta agree. I’ve been comparing all my headphones and the TCs and Susvaras are just on a different level. They are also both more expensive though and require powerful associated equipment. So I guess it’s a trade off.

I’m curious about the Stealth’s, because I want a good closed back, but I’m more interested in an Abyss closed back to be honest.
I too would like a top notch closed back option...from what I read the stealth will need a more serious amp than say the stellia

Aug 24, 2021 at 11:21 PM Post #10,683 of 26,673
selling the susvara to purchase the stealth seems a real reach...I have no doubt the stealth will be a fine HP but the susvara is one of the 2 or 3 very best without question
Hey, if I didn't have other hobbies to spend on, I would have kept all three - but unless I enforce limits on myself, I can very easily get carried away. I don't expect the Stealth to surpass the Susvara at all, but it will serve a different need for me at a different location. My Abyss will keep me happy for my open ended planar needs till something dethrones them.

I am always amazed, though, when people get rid of stuff to make room for new things that haven't even arrived yet. I'd need to hear whatever is replacing the thing I'm getting rid of.
That would be true, if I weren't already a fan of DCA's headphones. If this is the best they've made, I'm pretty sure it will work for me. If it doesn't, you'll see it on the head-fi classifieds.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 12:17 AM Post #10,684 of 26,673
Pop Quiz : So if you were given the opportunity to custom order the perfect headphone--the perfect mother of all headphone to end the search for all other possible "latest and greatest" models--would you trust yourself to identify what exact specifications might fit your needs?

Well, I attempted to put myself in the shoes of the "you" that is being addressed in this video from JS & Crew, and, to my consternation, I found myself coming up seriously short. It seems as if I have practiced the habit of letting manufacturers determine what I should like or dislike for so long that I have not given any serious thought to what customized specs I'd ask for were someone to give me the opportunity... (Not that anyone would ask any time soon, but I think the question is interesting, if only as a purely academic exercise). Of course I could order "something," if pressed, but not without referencing aspects of other headphones I already know... But will that approach lead to the perfection I am looking for?

Well maybe y'all DIYers, and Headphone Supremus Maximus experts might have better luck at this than me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Aug 25, 2021 at 12:43 AM Post #10,685 of 26,673
Pop Quiz : So if you were given the opportunity to custom order the perfect headphone--the perfect mother of all headphone to end the search for all other possible "latest and greatest" models--would you trust yourself to identify what exact specifications might fit your needs?

Well, I attempted to put myself in the shoes of the "you" that is being addressed in this video from JS & Crew, and, to my consternation, I found myself coming up seriously short. It seems as if I have practiced the habit of letting manufacturers determine what I should like or dislike for so long that I have not given any serious thought to what customized specs I'd ask for were someone to give me the opportunity... (Not that anyone would ask any time soon, but I think the question is interesting, if only as a purely academic exercise). Of course I could order "something," if pressed, but not without referencing aspects of other headphones I already know... But will that approach lead to the perfection I am looking for?

Well maybe y'all DIYers, and Headphone Supremus Maximus experts might have better luck at this than me :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I saw this video as well, always love the chat between those 3.

In terms of your question, I think this applies to alot of other things than just headphones, for example good wine or good food. I think we as consumers, there is a part of us where we want those that are more capable or skilled than us, to prepare “whatever”, the good sound, the good food, the good music and for us to enjoy it! Steve Jobs said it best something along the lines of customers dont know what they want until we‘ve shown them, and I think this applies here quite well.

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:55 AM Post #10,686 of 26,673
I gotta agree. I’ve been comparing all my headphones and the TCs and Susvaras are just on a different level. They are also both more expensive though and require powerful associated equipment. So I guess it’s a trade off.

I’m curious about the Stealth’s, because I want a good closed back, but I’m more interested in an Abyss closed back to be honest.
Abyss CB for me as well. I was hoping the Stealth would be more dynamic than other DC HPs. Fantastic FR, but Andrew over at HP dot com suggests that even the LCD XC 2021 has better macrodynamics, which is a deal-breaker for me. Sadly. 🥲

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 3:31 AM Post #10,687 of 26,673
Steve Jobs said it best something along the lines of customers dont know what they want until we‘ve shown them, and I think this applies here quite well.
Henry Ford on the invention of the car:
"If I would have asked what the customers want, they would have said "faster horses""

Aug 25, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #10,688 of 26,673
Abyss CB for me as well. I was hoping the Stealth would be more dynamic than other DC HPs. Fantastic FR, but Andrew over at HP dot com suggests that even the LCD XC 2021 has better macrodynamics, which is a deal-breaker for me. Sadly. 🥲
Hey @Sajid Amit , do you still have your HE-R10P's?

Aug 25, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #10,690 of 26,673
Aug 25, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #10,691 of 26,673
iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #10,692 of 26,673
Not sure this is the right thread for my questions.
I keep reading across the forum that THE headphones to beat are the Abyss 1266 TC and the HFM Susvara (apart from HFM SGL and Senn HE-1).
I had owned the HFM HE1000(v2?) for a year or so, and they are great headphones, very refined, but too polite to my likings.
I've heard the Susvara on a few occasions and the sound signature was very close to the HE1000, more transparent, more detailed, bigger soundstage, but overall the same refined, polite sound.
The Abyss I've not heard properly. Only once in a noisy area during the Munich HIGH END show.
I'm not sure the Abyss is for me as well. I mostly listen to classical music and natural tone is very important to me. So I'm not sure the bass-heavy Abyss with the V-shaped sound signature will be my go-to headphones.

After I've heard the LCD-4z vs the HE1000(v2), it was a very easy decision to purchase the LCD-4z. It sounded much more live and the instruments tonality was more natural, less polite and more bite. Yes, it was not as transparent or had the wide soundstage of the HE1000, but it had a tone that is much more musical and natural to my ears. For soundstage and imaging, I have my loudspeakers-based system.

Am I missing something? Should I stay with my LCDs (and the Auzede house-sound) and not look aside?

P.S.
I've also heard the Empyrean next to my LCD-4z and liked the LCD better.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #10,693 of 26,673
.(error post)

Aug 25, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #10,694 of 26,673
I skipped the previous 1266 versions due to comfort and fit issues. I believe largely the new headband improves the comfort of the TC drastically -- putting it into an actual comfortable rank of headphones. The stock o-rings fit most head heights. The ability to tailor with alternative o-rings is actually a plus, even more, the swapping mechanism for changing o-rings is, well, very easy. The fitment for sound is a variable you should appreciate to tune things to your liking. Yes, it does take some trial to find your preference but these toeing in/out, pad rotation are easy implementations. Once dialed-in, it's also very quick to set and go. It's not this settled, and then constant fickle of adjustments that people seem to intimate.

It does sound like Susvara and perhaps a closed alternative will serve as more complimentary. I'd recommend looking at the Rognir for a real contrasted pairing.
Cory, have you heard the Rognir?

Aug 25, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #10,695 of 26,673
Cory, have you heard the Rognir?
Yup, I did own it and I can't stop praising it. The only problem I had with it is the ear pad depth is quite shallow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back