HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #10,711 of 25,885
With staging, it more directly competes with the VC where there is adequate width and three dimensional play but with a distinctive qualifier this is closed back. You just aren't ever going to get that border less breathe of a TC in a closed back design. However, much everything else reminds me of the TC tonality and presentation. Rognir feels like what you may imagine the Abyss closed would sound like. Slight v-shape response with minimal coloration anywhere. Starting from the bass, it's very tight, fast and punchy -- a VC will conversely show more bloom and appearance of body -- these are just hints of comparative bloat, the Rognir mids are very much fairly neutral with no lean into harmonic richness, a slight recess is present although I would not call it prominent or a commission of sin which blends to a treble extension that is very detailed and very smooth sounding. This, without question, a coloration that does the listener a favor of showing some forgiveness.

How that would compare to Susvara will be dependent on a listening preference. The Rognir shows its dynamic aggression where the Susvara is more passive and openly enveloping and provides a mid warmth that is pleasing that some could find missing cold from Rognir
This, too, a clear open vs closed tradeoff / dilemma as the Susvara is quite complete sounding.

I'd take Rognir without blinking.
Thanks for the explanation. I think if I was going to add a second headphone complliment my TC, it would be something more in line of the Susvara. Even know the Rognir is different, it sounds like it’s somewhat more of the same of what I already own.

I am curious though how the Stealth sounds.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #10,713 of 25,885
Thanks for the explanation. I think if I was going to add a second headphone complliment my TC, it would be something more in line of the Susvara. Even know the Rognir is different, it sounds like it’s somewhat more of the same of what I already own.

I am curious though how the Stealth sounds.
I would consider owning both TC and Rognir as redundant. Susvara and I surmise possibly RAAL C would be very complimentary.
LCD-R as well even with its whole limited availability and horrific fazor discomfort.

I am definitely looking forward to that. It’s too bad that you didn’t live in the New York area so you can listen to my CFA3 so you can hear how it turned out in comparison to yours.
Road trip!

We'll need to configure our CFA3 hybrids differently too to really maximize the contrast for comparison. Ha.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:05 AM Post #10,714 of 25,885
I would consider owning both TC and Rognir as redundant. Susvara and I surmise possibly RAAL C would be very complimentary.
LCD-R as well even with its whole limited availability and horrific fazor discomfort.

Road trip!

We'll need to configure our CFA3 hybrids differently too to really maximize the contrast for comparison. Ha.
I know I’ll have to try the hybrid as well. :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #10,715 of 25,885
I know I’ll have to try the hybrid as well. :)
You'll likely get to hear Ben's beforehand. That will be a fun comparison to the Primavera.

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #10,717 of 25,885
I think you need to work on how to be more descriptive with your replies. :)
At the risk of boring y'all to death? Okay, I simply meant to say that I like those two cans equally well...

See? Can a statement sound any flatter and more lifeless than that? Personally, I like to add a touch of color, every now and then :)

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:38 AM Post #10,718 of 25,885
Head-Fi is a cornucopia of subjectivism. View every opinion with skepticism. Logic and reason lights your way. Consider the following.

A couple years back I purchased a vintage receiver, a Pioneer SX-780. The receiver was built in 1978 and was never opened or serviced. I wanted to know if I could detect a difference in an SPL-matched blind test between it and my brand new Violectric V281. The result was that I detected no difference whatsoever in the quality of the sound. The Pioneer cost me $175. edit: The headphones I used in my test were the LCD-X and the HD800 w/SDR mod.

So when I come to Head-Fi and read of claims that amplifier A blew away amplifer B, or that there's a "night and day" difference between this DAC and that one, I know that people are out of their minds and I pay no attention to silliness like that. Yes, there are differences in components, sometimes due to synergy, but exaggeration is rampant all over head-fi. Keep your mind grounded. Be skeptical at all times.

The Benchmark AHB2 is very small and weighs 12.5 lbs, is rated at 100W/ch into 8 ohms, and is the quietest measuring amplifier on the planet. The S/N ratio is in the area of 130 dB. It's a "wire with gain" as they say. On paper it should be as good as anything you'd care to put it up against, and I intend to buy one for my Susvara. When I've had some time with it, I'm going to do a comparison between that and my other two amps, the GS-X Mini and the ampsandsound Mogwai SE tube amp. The AHB2 is $3,000.

A similar one to look at is the NAD M22 v2. Fully class D, quiet as a church mouse, light, barely makes any heat at all, and is rated at 300W into 8 ohms. It's $3,300.

I started this hobby in 1977 when I bought my first set of headphones, and I couldn't agree more with these last two paragraphs.
Did you end up ever buying the Benchmark?

Aug 26, 2021 at 7:46 PM Post #10,720 of 25,885
The Susvara finally joins my collection. The most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. I will report back with some comparisons against the arya and 1266TC after 200+ hours of burn in. I plan to try quite a few, much more powerful amps in the future to see how much more the susvara scale cause we all know they need alot of juice lol :L3000:

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:30 PM Post #10,721 of 25,885
The Susvara finally joins my collection. The most comfortable headphone I've ever worn. I will report back with some comparisons against the arya and 1266TC after 200+ hours of burn in. I plan to try quite a few, much more powerful amps in the future to see how much more the susvara scale cause we all know they need alot of juice lol :L3000:

Congrats man! Awesome lineup and gear.

Empyrean remains the most comfortable headphone I've tried. But Susvara comes close. I find the earpads a bit warm and rough sometimes, and hope someone/HiFiMan comes up with a replacement similar to the Utopia leather pads.

What amps are you thinking of trying with the Susvara? I have tried audiolab 6000a and 8300a (meh), AHB2 (neutral), Apollon 1et400a (neutral), Pass labs int60 (warmish, full sounding, some roll off up top), kinki studio ex-m1+ (slightly warm but some etch up top) and am now using kinki p27+M7 combo (still running in).

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:36 PM Post #10,722 of 25,885

Empyrean remains the most comfortable headphone I've tried. But Susvara comes close. I find the earpads a bit warm and rough sometimes, and hope someone/HiFiMan comes up with a replacement similar to the Utopia leather pads.

What amps are you thinking of trying with the Susvara? I have tried audiolab 6000a and 8300a (meh), AHB2 (neutral), Apollon 1et400a (neutral), Pass labs int60 (warmish, full sounding, some roll off up top), kinki studio ex-m1+ (slightly warm but some etch up top) and am now using kinki p27+M7 combo (still running in).
I find the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads to be tactilely much more pleasing than the stock ones. I also marginally prefer their sonics. Some people have reported getting less bass with them, but I haven't really experienced that in a meaningful way. I seem to recall that you tried the Dekoni pads at some point, so am guessing you weren't as enthusiastic about their sound as I am.

Aug 26, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #10,723 of 25,885
I find the Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads to be tactilely much more pleasing than the stock ones. I also marginally prefer their sonics. Some people have reported getting less bass with them, but I haven't really experienced that in a meaningful way. I seem to recall that you tried the Dekoni pads at some point, so am guessing you weren't as enthusiastic about their sound as I am.

The Dekoni fss were definitely physically nicer to have on than the stock for me. I ended up gifting them away to one of the members on this forum, ajaipuriyar, a while back.

I felt the Dekoni fss gave better detail and imaging, but at the expense of losing some warmth and getting more listening fatigue. It seemed as though the fss made the susvara a bit too "exciting", and I ended up preferring the more relaxed presentation I get with the stock pads. And also, the bass tightens up but also slightly reduced in amount/meatiness.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #10,724 of 25,885

Between you and @Sajid Amit, you all have tried nearly every amp on the planet lol

Aug 26, 2021 at 9:44 PM Post #10,725 of 25,885

Dope home cinema as well :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back