HiFiMan Susvara
Aug 16, 2021 at 2:47 AM Post #10,561 of 25,604
Have you done any resistance tests with the stock Hifiman Susvara cable vs more expensive custom built headphone cables ?
My stock cables have turned green as the copper wire has oxidized after 3.5 years of staying inside the box.

I live in a relatively dry part of the world.

Haven't seen any other flagship headphone cable do that or maybe they are not rubbery/transparent enough.

PS. I love the headphones.

IMG_1547 (2).jpg

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #10,562 of 25,604
Then how do you know that the stock cable with the Susvara is not good and 'fit for purpose' for the job it is intended to do ?

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #10,564 of 25,604
The Susvara cable is the perfect example of how bias might affect us.
It is ugly as sin and feel cheap, so I guess many of us wanted to find a reason to change it even if it does the job when it comes to music.
I could not tell a sound difference when I switched to Norne Audio cable, however I was happy to switch.

Aug 16, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #10,565 of 25,604
Sound wise I did find the stock cable quite nice I have to say, for me it was the haptics which I did not like. The cable just does not seem adequate for the price tag the Susvara are asking for. To preserve the sound signature I wanted to stay with a Copper/Silver mix, because I really liked the tuning with the stock cable. I decided for a Norne Vykari and was not disappointed, the Susvara still have the same balanced unobtrusive signature just more of it.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 7:45 AM Post #10,566 of 25,604
The Susvara cable is the perfect example of how bias might affect us.
It is ugly as sin and feel cheap, so I guess many of us wanted to find a reason to change it even if it does the job when it comes to music.
I could not tell a sound difference when I switched to Norne Audio cable, however I was happy to switch.
Actually (and perhaps ironically), I LOVE the light weight and complete lack of microphonics of the stock Susvara cable. Also, a cable's looks are essentially at the end of my personal checklist. In spite of that, the stock cable sounds a bit dull to me and I don't use it. FWIW.

Aug 16, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #10,567 of 25,604
My stock cables have turned green as the copper wire has oxidized after 3.5 years of staying inside the box.

I live in a relatively dry part of the world.

Haven't seen any other flagship headphone cable do that or maybe they are not rubbery/transparent enough.

PS. I love the headphones.

IMG_1547 (2).jpg
I had the same thing happen to my OG HE6 stock cable, green all over!

Aug 16, 2021 at 11:39 AM Post #10,568 of 25,604
If we are calling this bias, then my bias against Hifiman stock cables was generated by a series of bad precedents, beginning with the stock cable for the He-500, the first HFM headphone I ever bought, followed by the one for the OG He-6, and then finally, the one for the He-1000v1, all of which I had to replace. In all of these cases, the replacement cables made a noticeably audible difference, especially in that of the He-1000v1, which I replaced with a Norne Audio Silvergarde.

For each TOTL Hifiman HP I have purchased since the He-1000v1, I have not even bothered to take the stock cables out of the box in the first place, since I normally order a replacement boutique cable for them even before the HPs arrive. That was true for my Edition X v2, ditto for my He-KSE, ditto for my Susvara, and ditto for the He6SE v2 (Okay, nowadays I can use the same 3.5mm terminated cable for these last two, which are the two TOTL HFM HPs that I still have, and that helps to save some costs on cables).

So yes, that is how biased I am, but the fact that I am this biased does not mean Hifiman is not consistently making crappy cables.
Incidentally I have not read anything on the internet threads dedicated to those 4 most recent Hifiman cans (including this thread) that have inspired me to change my mind about those stock cables that remain "unboxed."

I am still waiting for someone to make a convincing case that it would be worth my while to fish out my still unboxed Susvara stock cable to match it up against my Norne Audio Silvergarde S4 8-wire or Vykari, or even my Draugs. If they do, I promise to try it, so in the end, no-one can say I am not keeping an open mind about these unboxed cables, in spite of my obvious bias :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #10,569 of 25,604
Wondering why is the stock cable so bad? Is it due to being thin? Is it copper and silver plated?

Do you folks think copper, copper/silver or pure silver is the way to go with the Susvara’s?

AnyOne ever use Corpse cable?
The stock cable is silver plated copper yes

Aug 16, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #10,570 of 25,604
Wondering why is the stock cable so bad? Is it due to being thin? Is it copper and silver plated?

Do you folks think copper, copper/silver or pure silver is the way to go with the Susvara’s?

AnyOne ever use Corpse cable?
I use a corpse cable with my susvara. I got their 12ft balanced cable for around $180 during a sale. My issue with the stock cable is that it squeaks and crackles whenever I move my head.

Aug 16, 2021 at 3:56 PM Post #10,571 of 25,604
I use a corpse cable with my susvara. I got their 12ft balanced cable for around $180 during a sale. My issue with the stock cable is that it squeaks and crackles whenever I move my head.
Did you get the GraveDiggar line?

Aug 16, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #10,573 of 25,604

I wouldn't say that stock cables are bad per se, as they get the job done. It's more about aftermarket cables which often are easier to use, less microphonic, and they also improve sound quality.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 16, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #10,574 of 25,604
What cables are people using with their Susvara and what effect is it having?

I am looking to upgrade. I currently have a moon audio black dragon, but looking for something that has just a tiny lift in the treble, particularly upper mids.

Aug 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #10,575 of 25,604
What cables are people using with their Susvara and what effect is it having?

I am looking to upgrade. I currently have a moon audio black dragon, but looking for something that has just a tiny lift in the treble, particularly upper mids.
I find the Black Dragon works well in my setup. I have the Chord TT2/M-Scaler combo connected with the Moon Audio Silver Dragon BNC Cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back